Author Topic: Question for folks with the k drill  (Read 6216 times)

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Question for folks with the k drill
« Reply #30 on: Nov 06, 2018, 08:15 AM »
My apologies, I didn’t see the 2 year gap between posts and that the same person that asked the original question did some custom work and answered their own question.   Herein lies the problem of posts that are year(s) old.  The update is great but at that point would be good to just lock the thread, as people will continue to debate the original question unnecessarily. 

The K drill will work fine no matter the thickness of the ice, just clear the shavings your golden.  With enough extensions you can go to China with the thing.  LOL   

RallyGreen

« Reply #31 on: Nov 06, 2018, 08:19 AM »
Thank god for you, haha. You get it! I only updated the thread so that the info would all be in one place if someone ever searches for this stuff, is all

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #32 on: Nov 06, 2018, 08:33 AM »
I wish more people would follow up with their updates!  Thanks

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #33 on: Nov 06, 2018, 02:47 PM »
Oh internet, I wear sadness as a blanket.
Thank you for this it will become one of my favorite sayings. I myself did not pay attention to the post date on the first post. After reading all the posts I am now going to find a young nephew to take ice fishing and stick with my propane auger. Thanks for saving me $500.00 on a new electric kdrill setup!
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Nov 06, 2018, 05:23 PM »
 i read it all, understand rally...the rest of you made my head hurt  ;D

i hate my k-drill, only use it when i don't want to move my permy.  any other situation and i'll take a mora or finbore all day, every day.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #35 on: Nov 06, 2018, 05:49 PM »
i read it all, understand rally...the rest of you made my head hurt  ;D

i hate my k-drill, only use it when i don't want to move my permy.  any other situation and i'll take a mora or finbore all day, every day.

What size? Wanna sell it? I kinda want to try one, but refuse to pay the prices k drill wants. With the Eskimo pistol, and the new HT auger, I look for these light weight drill augers to drop in price pretty soon.

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Nov 06, 2018, 06:25 PM »
 i do but i'd want close to what i paid for it new, then there's the shipping hassle.  it is light weight and cuts old holes well but for the price i was hoping it would be my bit of choice all season.  i don't like having to put pressure on any auger let alone one i'm running with my m18 and it also really chews through the batteries compared to the mora or fb3.

as far as clearing shavings i can't comment cause i don't use it enough.

Offline Mrpike1973

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Nov 06, 2018, 07:20 PM »
K Drill really holds there prices used maybe 25-50 bucks off a used one around here anyway.

RallyGreen

« Reply #38 on: Nov 06, 2018, 08:16 PM »
Haha, appreciate it folks. I've seen so many neat things built here that I wanted to contribute. It's not that I'm even suggesting anyone ought to build the same auger as I did; it's just a neat project that ticks some specific boxes that I figured would make my ideal auger. There are a few books and research papers on ice augers and ice drilling that I collected doing this, and I'm confident my ideal setup would have continuous double flighting. Eventually I will pick up a 3d printer and see about making my own flyte sections (and that will be a new thread).

Offline Icephishwyo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Nov 06, 2018, 08:50 PM »
Is it just the pictures or did the kdrill flights change some since this thread started  ;)
I haven't been to the store to look but internet pics look more like a traditional screw with just a few gaps in it now?

Offline Icephishwyo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Nov 06, 2018, 08:55 PM »

Offline Icephishwyo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Nov 06, 2018, 08:58 PM »
Thanks I was looking for an 8" to :(

RallyGreen

« Reply #42 on: Nov 06, 2018, 09:01 PM »
I just added some photos I took. The top one you posted is a 8" but the bottom is a 6".

Offline Icephishwyo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Nov 06, 2018, 09:10 PM »
This is more work than drilling holes trying to figure out the best bit for my new rigid and 9ah drill ;D
Any suggestions  ???

RallyGreen

« Reply #44 on: Nov 06, 2018, 09:30 PM »
Personally, I would get whichever size makes sense for the fish you target and get an extra battery if runtime becomes an issue

Offline Nevsky

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #45 on: Nov 07, 2018, 06:47 AM »
I bought an 8 inch k-drill with a Milwaukee power drill, 9ah battery last season.  I love it.  I can drill 20+ holes in 18" plus ice with no problems.  They tell you pull the drill up a few times to clean out the ice shavings or else the blades might bind but that's no problem.  Used it a lot last season and as the the end of season the blades seemed to be still sharp.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #46 on: Nov 07, 2018, 07:14 AM »
This is more work than drilling holes trying to figure out the best bit for my new rigid and 9ah drill ;D
Any suggestions  ???
I use both a Nils 8" and a Finebore 6".  I really like the Finbore products, they are good quality.  Nils is really nice but a bit of a pain to ship the head away for sharpening.

Offline wirenut45

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #47 on: Nov 07, 2018, 02:39 PM »
Rallygreen, any idea what you have tied up in this , moneywise? wire

RallyGreen

« Reply #48 on: Nov 07, 2018, 06:02 PM »
I had to think on that a bit, because I did a total restoration of the echo drill to make it pretty. I'd say no more than 500 all in. What really helped was starting out with a rough looking drill that had good compression and gearbox for 40 bucks. One of those situations that gets me thinking "why not...?"

From what I rembering seeing on an archived KECO website, the kluge drill (basically same setup but with the factory one arm bandit grip) was 1100

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #49 on: Nov 07, 2018, 06:12 PM »
One of those situations that gets me thinking "why not...?"

that's how our great country was founded!

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #50 on: Nov 07, 2018, 06:35 PM »
i do but i'd want close to what i paid for it new, then there's the shipping hassle.  it is light weight and cuts old holes well but for the price i was hoping it would be my bit of choice all season.  i don't like having to put pressure on any auger let alone one i'm running with my m18 and it also really chews through the batteries compared to the mora or fb3.

I get ya. I've been happy with my nils 8in. However, I got it for $125 shipped from cabelas a few years ago. just was wanting to play with the K Drill if I'd come across a cheap used one.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #51 on: Nov 08, 2018, 01:01 PM »
Any suggestions  ???

Do what I did, get both the 6" and 8"!
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline wirenut45

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #52 on: Nov 09, 2018, 05:49 AM »
that's how our great country was founded!
ran7ger, i thought that was OUR line. so from now on, i,m gonna say, "eh"? lol wire

Offline HardH20Fishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #53 on: Nov 09, 2018, 07:39 PM »
i do but i'd want close to what i paid for it new, then there's the shipping hassle.  it is light weight and cuts old holes well but for the price i was hoping it would be my bit of choice all season.  i don't like having to put pressure on any auger let alone one i'm running with my m18 and it also really chews through the batteries compared to the mora or fb3

Ran7ger...Why do you have to put pressure on your k-drill? Never had to do that with mine...it chews and pulls itself through the ice on it's own with no pressure applied at all.
You can't buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear....and that's kind of the same thing.

Offline bowmandan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #54 on: Nov 09, 2018, 08:56 PM »
His blades are dull.   Sharpen them and he will not have to use pressure

RallyGreen

« Reply #55 on: Nov 09, 2018, 09:08 PM »
I have tried a second pair of blades and even shimmed them with some leftover 0.0030" shims and then tried some beer can tabs to see if the steeper cutting angle would help. It didn't, really. It was maybe 1 less second through 30" vs stock. I think it comes down to if you are comparing them to dual shaver blades which generate a bunch of torque or other chippers. It's a very slight amount of pressure that mine needs to really move.

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #56 on: Nov 11, 2018, 11:00 AM »
His blades are dull.   Sharpen them and he will not have to use pressure

is that right?  when were you checking my auger out?  ::) blades are brand new, had a spare set also new - same results.  all i know is my mora and fb3 pull the auger into the ice, k-drill needs some down pressure or i'd be drilling all day to get through 3 feet of ice.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #57 on: Nov 12, 2018, 08:07 AM »
Yep, agree, as with my Jiffy, the chipper blade augers need a little down pressure. No big deal. My blades are razor sharp too.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline hawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #58 on: Nov 22, 2018, 02:05 PM »
This is all why I'm wondering if the Pistol Bit flights are better. I refuse to pull a K Drill up every couple seconds, they should have made them to work right before releasing them. I get a kick out of people comparing an electric of any brand and a Jiffy 30!?!?. My Ion goes thru like a dream but even at that weight I would like a lighter unit. Even with reverse I use a Slush Copter to clean holes, it works much better and faster. I have a Fuel drill with all the time so why carry an auger of any kind? I didn't like the K Drill either as many of you have also stated.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #59 on: Nov 23, 2018, 07:07 PM »
When I looked at a pistol in the store, the flights are like a normal auger. Should work fine. Pistol looks like a good unit they just need a center point on it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.