Author Topic: Milwaukee M18 Fuel 5.0 versus Ridgid Octane 9.0  (Read 4523 times)

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Milwaukee M18 Fuel 5.0 versus Ridgid Octane 9.0
« on: Nov 23, 2018, 08:06 AM »
First, let me say that I like cordless tools. I bought a Milwaukee Fuel drill several years back as a shop tool but mainly to spin my augers since the weight of my IceGator got too
onerous. Best tool I have bought in a decade for year round usefulness. I'd been hearing very good things about the Ridgid drills also, so when I saw that they had developed a drill with 1300 in/lbs. torque vs the 1100 in/lbs. with the Milwaukee coupled with their bumper to bumper, lifetime warranty and at a very good price, I pulled the trigger. The plan was to pull the Milwaukee off of auger duty and put it back in the shop where it's everyday handy and use the Ridgid so spin the auger.
The Ridgid arrived yesterday and here are some first impressions. Right out of the box it looks like it was designed by the crew from Transformer Comics after a night of self medicating. Very testosteroney. When I slipped on the 9.0 Ah battery the first thing I noticed was the surprising weight. So I pulled the Milwaukee off its Clam plate, got out my wife's bread scale and weighed them up. The Milwaukee came in at 5 lbs. even, the Ridgid tipped in at 6 lbs. 7 oz.. You wouldn't want to drop either one of them on your foot but my goal in recent years is to get the net sled weight down as far as I can. So the Milwaukee stays on the auger and the Ridgid goes in the shop. The Milwaukee has always delivered plenty of power to spin an 8" Blue Nils, an 8' LazerMag with the ripper teeth, and this year a 7" Nero. If you hooked that Rigid Octane to a Clam plate I suspect that you could spin a 10" auger. If I could only own one tool, however, it would have to be the Milwaukee.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Milwaukee M18 Fuel 5.0 versus Ridgid Octane 9.0
« Reply #1 on: Nov 23, 2018, 08:15 AM »
I'm pretty sure if you weighed a Milwalkee with a 9AH battery it would have been closer to the same weight as the Ridgid. Not sure what your thoughts were when you bought the Ridgid.
<===Lefty===

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 23, 2018, 08:16 AM »
Testosteroney?  :roflmao: More like Megatron or Optimus Prime? LOL!  ;D
DON'T DILLY DALLY!!!   ;D

Polar Bird 3T, Eskimo EVO 1it
8" K-Drill, 8" Nils Arctic Trekker, Milwaukee Mud Mixer, Milwaukee 2704-22, Clam Plate, Adapters to make everything work with everything. lol
Marcum LX-7s (2) Dakota Lithium powered

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 23, 2018, 09:22 AM »
I'm pretty sure if you weighed a Milwalkee with a 9AH battery it would have been closer to the same weight as the Ridgid. Not sure what your thoughts were when you bought the Ridgid.
Hey Lefty... I'm sure not going to knock Ridgid drills which I know you have. This particular model that I bought (9.0 Ah, 1300 in/lbs.) is serious overkill for running an 8" bit and cutting as few holes as I do. For someone else who drills more than I do or is looking for a drill with enough muscle for a 10" hole it may be perfect.

We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Nov 23, 2018, 10:15 AM »
Hey Lefty... I'm sure not going to knock Ridgid drills which I know you have. This particular model that I bought (9.0 Ah, 1300 in/lbs.) is serious overkill for running an 8" bit and cutting as few holes as I do. For someone else who drills more than I do or is looking for a drill with enough muscle for a 10" hole it may be perfect.

But your complaint is that the ridgid is too heavy compared to the milwaukee, which doesn't make sense if the battery on each drill is significantly different, like 5ah vs 9ah.  Put a 9ah on the milwaukee and weigh them again, otherwise your weight complaint doesn't mean a thing.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 23, 2018, 10:31 AM »
I'd be interested in the weight of both without the batteries...

Interesting read, thanks for sharing..

<°)))>{

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Nov 23, 2018, 10:37 AM »

<°)))>{

True, that would be a much better comparison.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #7 on: Nov 23, 2018, 10:38 AM »
i'd like to hear what they weigh with their own 9amp on each drill w/o aux handle.
you do know you have 90 days to return it?

<°)))>{
me too, but 1.5 pounds is not worth mentioning when it has nearly twice the capacity. i'd take the extra 1.5 pounds any day to get almost twice the cuts.

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 23, 2018, 10:44 AM »
But your complaint is that the ridgid is too heavy compared to the milwaukee, which doesn't make sense if the battery on each drill is significantly different, like 5ah vs 9ah.  Put a 9ah on the milwaukee and weigh them again, otherwise your weight complaint doesn't mean a thing.
I'm not complaining about the weight of the Ridgid. I know it's heavier and I understand why. I'll use it in my shop where net weight is not a concern. Plus it's got more muscle than I need for my augers.

<°)))>{
Milwaukee tool only... 3 lbs. 5.9 oz.

Ridgid tool only... 3 lbs 14 oz
                                                               Stinky

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Nov 23, 2018, 10:47 AM »
So 6 ounces of your net weight is a concern? Why did you buy it?

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Nov 23, 2018, 10:58 AM »

Milwaukee tool only... 3 lbs. 5.9 oz.

Ridgid tool only... 3 lbs 14 oz

Thanks for those details^!

I know it's opinion, but I'd still want the most powerful choice on my auger rig. Although the Milwaukee can turn it, it's still almost too much for it.. Another thing to keep in mind, is the harsh environment, might want to have your lifetime warranty motor on that duty..

<°)))>{

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Nov 23, 2018, 11:29 AM »
Thanks for those details^!

I know it's opinion, but I'd still want the most powerful choice on my auger rig. Although the Milwaukee can turn it, it's still almost too much for it.. Another thing to keep in mind, is the harsh environment, might want to have your lifetime warranty motor on that duty..

<°)))>{

You certainly make a good point. The wear and tear from occasional shop work doesn't compare to the raw demands of high load drilling in sub-zero temperatures. I'm kind of

rough on equipment anyway. When the Milwaukee finally drops off the twig, it may well be past any warranty. I haven't yet tried to attach the Ridgid to the Clam plate yet but I

think I'll run out to the garage and do that and see about bringing this thread to a close.
                                                               Stinky

Offline Icefisher40

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Missing the U.P
« Reply #12 on: Nov 23, 2018, 11:50 AM »
So 6 ounces of your net weight is a concern? Why did you buy it?

Because it’s his money and he wanted to.

Why does he need to justify his purchases to random/anonymous internet posters.

I buy a new drill every year for the heck of it.  I also buy a new graph usually every other year (even years a graph for boat, odd years a new graph for the ice).

Why? Because I can.

Offline efka

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Nov 23, 2018, 11:52 AM »

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Nov 23, 2018, 12:14 PM »
The size and weight matter to me to optimize a compact bag of gear to haul.  Even though I have all rigid carpentry tools, I went Milwaukee.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Nov 23, 2018, 12:23 PM »
Because it’s his money and he wanted to.

Why does he need to justify his purchases to random/anonymous internet posters.

I buy a new drill every year for the heck of it.  I also buy a new graph usually every other year (even years a graph for boat, odd years a new graph for the ice).

Why? Because I can.

Good for you, I don't care what you or anyone else does with their money, this thread is completely pointless. Did he expect them to be the same weight? The stats are pretty clear which is going to be heavier.

In summary, ridgid is half pound heavier, so better not use it.

To the OP, use both on the ice, that would be interesting to see if the extra torque makes any difference. (I own the milwaukee)

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Nov 23, 2018, 12:31 PM »

Good for you, I don't care what you or anyone else does with their money, this thread is completely pointless. Did he expect them to be the same weight? The stats are pretty clear which is going to be heavier.

In summary, ridgid is half pound heavier, so better not use it.

To the OP, use both on the ice, that would be interesting to see if the extra torque makes any difference. (I own the milwaukee)
Thank you for your comments but I already have a senile Russian mother-in-law to supply me with enough similar pearls of wisdom to satisfy my current needs.
                                                               Stinky

Offline winterbuddy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Nov 23, 2018, 12:47 PM »
Does anyone know the size of the threaded drive shaft holding the chuck on the Octane?  Is it a 9/16" threaded drive shaft like the G2 and G3 Milwaukee, or is it 1/2" like the G1?

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Nov 23, 2018, 12:51 PM »
Milwaukee vs Ridgid!!!! Find out which one weighs more!!!! :cookoo:

Offline threewack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Nov 23, 2018, 03:22 PM »
I only fish the the lakes the Ridgid guys are on. ;D

Offline Huntindave

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Nov 23, 2018, 04:11 PM »
I only fish the the lakes the Ridgid guys are on. ;D

Is there a lake for the DeWalt folks, or are they banished to open water only?  ::)
take care,
Dave  :>)

Offline frogmaster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Nov 23, 2018, 04:23 PM »
Seems like splitting hairs, but then again I like my ladies on the THIN side :)
Fish FEAR ME ;)

Offline threewack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Nov 23, 2018, 04:52 PM »
Is there a lake for the DeWalt folks, or are they banished to open water only?  ::)
LOL!
There is lakes for the Dewalt Guys,I fish with them too!I just put a yellow and black sticker on my Ridgid Their cool with it. :)

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Nov 23, 2018, 05:01 PM »
Following up to close out this thread, I attached the Ridgid to the Clam plate. It looks somewhat massive but the "arm feel" is not that much greater than the Milwaukee. The trigger

linkage on the Clam plate seems to marry up at a little more natural angle with the Ridgid trigger. Small detail. I'll take it out next Tuesday for its own maiden voyage and see how

she spins.
                                                               Stinky

Offline threewack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Nov 23, 2018, 05:05 PM »
That will be great Im thinking I need a clam plate for mine,be safe out there.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #25 on: Nov 23, 2018, 05:09 PM »
I just bought the beast ridgid 1300 octane and clam plate.the battery is huge.got the clam plate because i dont trust the side handle.save me from breaking the drill or myself.hope its a ice drilling machine.i will be running a 5” lazer.

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Nov 23, 2018, 05:19 PM »
Wow. You won't even feel the ice with that setup. You could easily jump up to an 8" auger if you ever felt so inclined. The Clam is a great component to any drill setup.
                                                               Stinky

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #27 on: Nov 23, 2018, 05:38 PM »
Wow. You won't even feel the ice with that setup. You could easily jump up to an 8" auger if you ever felt so inclined. The Clam is a great component to any druill setup.
like the sound of that..i may put a 8” on it once in awhile.here in Michigan we have not been getting more than a ft of ice last few seasons where im at.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.