Author Topic: weird species  (Read 2125 times)

Offline ice man17

• Team IceShanty Regular
weird species
« on: Dec 04, 2007, 07:12 PM »
a buddy of mine stated a list of species that he wanted to catch throu the ice that we have never targetted any of you guys target these?
carp?
dogfish?
sucker?
quill back?
ciscoe?
bullhead?
and if you do what do you use to catch these through the ice?

Offline sticks

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: weird species
« Reply #1 on: Dec 04, 2007, 07:15 PM »
I would dare say but im not positive, but dead stinky oily bait on the bottom has worked best for me on a few of those but im not sure on all of them

chimo

« Reply #2 on: Dec 04, 2007, 08:01 PM »
The only one on that list that I have caught were bullheads.  I got mine on worms on a tipdown in about 25 ft of water.  Wouldn't have been using worms but it was the only bait I had that day.  good fishing

chimo

Offline Fishin is the Mission

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 04, 2007, 08:56 PM »
I've targeted and caught Suckers and Carp through the ice.  Both were caught using medium sized worms (some places call them trout worms) on the bottom under a tip-up.
Thanks, Dad, for taking the time to show me how to fish!!

Chuck

Offline Master Angler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 10" Hole = Less tales of the big one that got away
« Reply #4 on: Dec 04, 2007, 09:13 PM »
I have targeted ciscoe and have done well with small tube jigs.  I catch them for lake trout and pike bait.  And have accidentally caught one sucker, jigging for walleye with a jig and minnow.

Offline TipupRyan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 04, 2007, 09:30 PM »
Bullheads on muddy bottoms by weeds, with a worm.  You actually have to lay the worm on the bottom and leave some slack in your line for it to work.  Remember that bullheads have barbs on those whiskers they have and can sting like no other. Carp is easy in the right spots, usually rivers/dams with a can of corn, a few kernels on a hook.  Never targeted these fish. Either saw them being fished for or caught them on accident. 

Offline hardysf

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 04, 2007, 09:41 PM »
We catch lots of dogfish with pike shiners. It is fun fighting them and they always feel like nice pike. When they get to the hole, it is a major dissapointment.

Offline Blaine

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 05, 2007, 02:47 AM »
Every once in a while, we'll see a mud puppy  :o I can't find my pictures at the moment but they are a large salamander with feathery gills on the side of their head. We've had them up to 12"... Pretty odd sight on the ice!

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #8 on: Dec 05, 2007, 06:56 AM »
I have caught bullheads on tip-ups with minnow and on hali-jigs tipped with spikes. I have caught carp on tip-ups with minnow. My brother caught a cisco on a tear drop tipped with spikes.
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline Walltrout

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 05, 2007, 02:13 PM »

I caught this thing on a jigging rap.  Tasted great!!!   ;D

"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau

"If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're doing something wrong."  John Giera

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 05, 2007, 02:15 PM »
 good god man...... :o :o :o kill it...kill it...what the heck is it anyway  ??? ??? looks like a prop from a godzilla movie... ;D

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 05, 2007, 02:17 PM »
WallTrout..Yuck, what the hey is that? a mutated cat that ate too much smoked whitefish?

I have caught all the species listed through the ice with the exception of a quill back. Not sure what that is.

For the cats, I chum the water with a mixture of dog food kibbles, bread, oatmeal, creamed corn and a crushed pulverized gill or two. The cats arrive in the hour, and you have to beat them off with a stick!!! Mainly do this to proove it can be done. I would rather catch Eyes, pannies and Pike!

Hey,that fish you are holding looks like a Kraken embryo!!!!! Yep, must be!!!! ;)

Offline Kodiakman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Start everyday as if it has a purpose.
« Reply #12 on: Dec 05, 2007, 04:15 PM »

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Dec 05, 2007, 04:18 PM »
so a scammed photo   hmmmm
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline AirManCam

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • All hail to the King!!
« Reply #14 on: Dec 05, 2007, 05:09 PM »
I've had decent luck jigging cisco with a small hali and a grub. I've also caught bullhead that way.
15lb mono pike fisherman...WHATS UP!

Offline tbirdbassr

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • illinois
« Reply #15 on: Dec 05, 2007, 08:53 PM »
in order to catch cisco you have to target perch on mille lacs lol

Offline Big Burk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • wishin I was fishin
« Reply #16 on: Dec 06, 2007, 12:32 AM »
we target cisco's all the time when everything else isnt biting, the bite is never dead with cisco's and you can catch hundereds a day easy.

Offline WANNAKETCHUM

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Where da fish at???
« Reply #17 on: Dec 06, 2007, 01:52 AM »
Well I wouldn't call them "weird" but a couple of the smaller lakes I fish have some huge Golden shiners in them. I've caught them jigging and on tip-ups. I usually throw them back...but I think this year I'm gonna keep some and freeze them for cutbait for Catfish in the spring or use them whole as deadbait for Pike. I may also try to keep some alive in a bucket and put them in a small pond near home that is overrun with dink Bass and Gills....maybe that way they'll have something besides each other.. ;D..WK
Give your son a fish, and he will eat for a day.....teach your son to fish and eventually he'll end up kicking your @ss every time you fish together!!!

Offline capt.shay

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike and 'Eyes
« Reply #18 on: Dec 06, 2007, 05:10 AM »
Every once in a while, we'll see a mud puppy  :o I can't find my pictures at the moment but they are a large salamander with feathery gills on the side of their head. We've had them up to 12"... Pretty odd sight on the ice!

This one came out of the Conn. River.  We have one place that is so loaded with them that we call it Mud Puppy Cove.

"I will never stop targeting trophies, every skunk is one skunk closer to a giant "  RC

"We're going to sit around the shanty mama...."  Johnathan Edwards

"If you are going out there to figure it all out by yourself, well, ice has a
 learning curve second only to fire. I wish you the best of luck."    Looneyducer

Offline Fish_Tko

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Dec 06, 2007, 06:14 AM »
Those mudd puppies are a neat looking creature. I have found them on the shore of Lake James in the spring many years in a row.
There is only one theory about angling in which I have perfect confidence, and this is that the two words, least appropriate to any statement, about it, are the words "always" and "never."

Offline Walltrout

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Dec 06, 2007, 09:28 AM »
so a scammed photo   hmmmm

not so much scammed.... I was just joking around.  I would have let the cat out of the bag but Kodiakman beat me to it.  I thought it was a cool picture and wanted to share.  Anyone that knows me knows that the man in the picture is way too skinny to be me.

"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau

"If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're doing something wrong."  John Giera

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.