Author Topic: Entry level flasher  (Read 4360 times)

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
Re: Entry level flasher
« Reply #30 on: Jan 24, 2018, 10:53 PM »
cgrtz on the M1
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline desmobob

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I can't feel my toes...
« Reply #31 on: Jan 25, 2018, 05:41 AM »
Ended up purchasing a marcum m1 at an awesome price from a retailer. Looks like at has a zoom function and reviews appear great. Looking forward to receiving the unit and testing it out. Thank you all for the assistance.

Congratulations.   I bought the entry-level marcum VX-1P some years back and have never felt the need to upgrade.  It has been an excellent tool and I can't imagine how I enjoyed ice fishing without it.

Tight lines,
Bob

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #32 on: Jan 25, 2018, 06:06 AM »
Better hurry looks like the FL8's are just about all sold out everywhere.
<===Lefty===

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Jan 25, 2018, 06:22 AM »
he's already bought one.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #34 on: Jan 25, 2018, 06:32 AM »

<===Lefty===

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #35 on: Jan 25, 2018, 06:51 AM »
If having the ability to block out interference from others fishing near by is a bell and whistle, yes you need some bell and whistles.

Offline desmobob

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I can't feel my toes...
« Reply #36 on: Jan 25, 2018, 07:00 AM »
If having the ability to block out interference from others fishing near by is a bell and whistle, yes you need some bell and whistles.

The Marcum has that; he's all set.  The reason I chose the entry-level Marcum when I bought my flasher is that it came with bottom zoom and eight anti-interference settings.  The Vexilar units seem to have the best reliability record but I think the entry-level Marcum offers more features for the money. 

There are choices (and we're lucky for that) that everyone needs to make when choosing a flasher.  We all hope to have made the right choice!

Tight lines,
Bob

Offline GP

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #37 on: Jan 25, 2018, 08:26 AM »
  The Vexilar units seem to have the best reliability record

This gets mentioned a lot. What makes Vexilar more reliable than Marcum? I currently own a Humminbird, so not that familiar with either brand. If I decide to upgrade to Marcum at some point in the future is reliability that much of a concern to avoid the product altogether?  Just curious as to why Marcum reliability record appears to be less than Vexilar. Been eyeing the M brushless series by Marcum. These like mighty tempting.

Offline Charman03

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Jan 25, 2018, 08:49 AM »
I really like marcum. Most new guys are initially set on a vexilar because of marketing/advertising and that's all they ever heard. In my opinion the entry level marcums are better than the fl-8. Get the zoom and a nice soft pack and not that hideous blue genz box

Offline Iceballs204

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #39 on: Jan 25, 2018, 08:51 AM »
Right on buddy  any flasher is better than no flasher. Good luck

Offline IceholeFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #40 on: Jan 25, 2018, 09:03 AM »
Bought my LX5 in 2006. Been flawless for me. And i use it for summer and fall perch fishing, as well as ice fishing. Some of the problems with both Vex and Marcum are user caused. Usually rough handling.... such as continuously throwing the transducer on the ice. The transducer crystals just can't take much of it.

If you do a thorough read on the Vexilar website, they have had their issues. They are man made and are not perfect.

But they are a good unit. I wont bad mouth a Vexilar just because i like Marcum. The two Vex's I have used had no issues. A lot has to do with how you take care of your equipment.
May ol man winter blow a cool breeze up your shorts!

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Jan 25, 2018, 10:43 AM »

This gets mentioned a lot. What makes Vexilar more reliable than Marcum? I currently own a Humminbird, so not that familiar with either brand. If I decide to upgrade to Marcum at some point in the future is reliability that much of a concern to avoid the product altogether?  Just curious as to why Marcum reliability record appears to be less than Vexilar. Been eyeing the M brushless series by Marcum. These like mighty tempting.

its 2 fold.  i think marcum's QC has gone through a rough patch the last handful of years.  THAT said, people are also comparing apples to oranges.  the LX7/6 had issues upon release but thats not necessarily bad QC, its just a new envelope pushing product (sonar guys will argue about this) and people upgraded from their mechanical flashers to an lx7 and freaked out. 

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #42 on: Jan 28, 2018, 03:34 PM »
Any thought to the Marcum Showdown duel beam? Pretty much gives you everything..zoom, duel beam transducer for both shallow and deep water, verticle display so more realistic.

I have one and it's super simple to use and understand.  The only problem is finding a dual beam one because they discontinued it.  If I were buying a new flasher I'd definitely buy it again.

Offline coldfingers

• IceShanty Rookie
  • I am therefore I fish.
« Reply #43 on: Jan 28, 2018, 03:43 PM »
I have to agree with many of the above....for me starting out....I would go with Vexilar fl8. Simple and works perfectly every time. Mine is over 20 years old and still finding fish.

Offline NEZ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Good fishing and safe ice
« Reply #44 on: Jan 28, 2018, 08:01 PM »
Marcum is an excellent graph.  I have used multiple different brands and like the Marcum the best.  I did not like my Showdown 5.6db.  Had way too many issues with reading the bottom. The guys from Marcum stated this is why the db is gone. I have an LX7 and the rest of the crew have M5, M1 and LX6.  Many of us switched from Vex and hummingbirds and we all love our Marcums. 

Offline shermanpup

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #45 on: Feb 13, 2018, 01:51 PM »
One other point . I bought a trolling motor xducer and use my old VX1 in the summer too . I is way easier to see when night fishing. Having a flasher in front helps you find weed lines immediately ,no delay like the older LCD graphs or maybe eveN the newer LCD fishfinders ?

Offline PaddyO

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Feb 13, 2018, 05:29 PM »
MARCUM SHOWDOWN 5.6 hands down for a first unit.  Vertical read, 1/2 separation, simple, and easy to use.  No need to learn how to "read it" - it's self explanatory.  The bottom is the bottom, the top is the top.  Nothing going around in circles...  Battery life is great, compact, and light weight.  Read up on YouTube for reviews.  I omit I want to upgrade I want to a Hummingbird Ice 7 (GPS, split screens, blah, blah blah - just more crap to make it more complicated ) but the Marcum 5.6 for a first unit is hands down a winner. Had mine for 4 years, haven't touched my settings,  and it's been great.
Clam Kenia Pro Thermo Stealth
Otter XT X-Cabin Thermo
Clam Kenia Pro
Marcum Showdown
Marcum VS485C
Labatt Blue Light

Offline curtrein

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Feb 13, 2018, 06:02 PM »
Marcum M-1. Super quiet plus had the bottom zoom. First time out I caught fish on it.

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
« Reply #48 on: Feb 14, 2018, 01:35 PM »
Any lower model vex or Marcum will be fine for you. If your fishing deep look at power output, it helps.

I have an fl12 and I am very pleased with it. Nothing fancy, no zoom, but it works.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #49 on: Feb 14, 2018, 01:58 PM »
The OP already bought a unit

Offline Freytown

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #50 on: Feb 14, 2018, 04:44 PM »
I have to agree with many of the above....for me starting out....I would go with Vexilar fl8. Simple and works perfectly every time. Mine is over 20 years old and still finding fish.

Ditto...what he said.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.