Author Topic: Talk me into a LX7 instead of my LX5  (Read 1813 times)

Offline ASATMillerbluegill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Addict
Talk me into a LX7 instead of my LX5
« on: Apr 02, 2014, 07:31 PM »
Tell me why I should buy one; other then stimulating the economy. Im impressed withmy LX5, can I get an even bigger woody w a LX7?? Tell me what I'm missing; thanks!!!!!!!

Buy a suit that floats you

Offline rouser

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Talk me into a LX7 instead of my LX5
« Reply #1 on: Apr 02, 2014, 09:00 PM »
I went from an LX5 to an LX7 earlier this year. I have always loved my LX5 but I wanted to move to a flat screen, eye fatigue has hit me pretty hard when night fishing the last couple years so I was hoping the flat screen would be easier on the eyes. I looked long and hard at an FLX28 and had planned on pulling the trigger on one but then Reeds ran their ridiculous sale and I decided to pull the trigger on an LX7.

I have always had positive experiences with Marcum, but honestly I was cautious about the LX7... was it going to be durable? was it going to be to big and bulky? was the software going to be buggy? is it a good shallow water machine? etc...

The LX7 showed up on my doorstep on a Thursday afternoon. That night I hit the ice with it... without cracking open the user guide I headed out to play. I was less than impressed as I fumbled through the menus. After an hour I left the lake, frustrated and wondering if I had made a mistake. I went home, broke out the user guide and while reading through it I had several AH-HAH! moments. My next outing on the ice I felt a little more educated, I used the day to play with unit, become familiar with settings and pages... I quickly discovered it wasn't that complex... you just had to get familiar with it.

The next outing I focused more on fishing and less on playing. I noticed a glitch in the software when in dynamic mode, contacted Marcum and they emailed me a beta update. To be honest, the glitch I encountered did not negatively impact my fishing.. I just set my depth manually instead of dynamically. A couple days later Marcum released a formal software update, I updated the software again and it has been solid... Let me reiterate.. the glitch I noticed did not keep me from fishing or impact me negatively. In fact, because of the ability to configure the unit differently I was able to keep fishing.

A couple weeks later I had the opportunity to fish a tournament in a shallow water lake. Water depths were less than 10', I was anxious to see if the LX7 would be a good shallow water machine. Drilled the first hole in 9' of water, my color palate was set to 6 color mode which allows the unit to pick up a lot of small detail.... unfortunately in that shallow of water you needed in crank up your sensitivity. I was having difficulty picking up my jig, so I switched to 3 color mode increased the gain and it was it was perfect!

Each outing I was discovering how the ability to configure this unit allowed me to fish so many types of conditions with crystal clear results. Over the duration of the season I came to 2 conclusions:

1.) This unit is not for everyone. If you don't know what a USB cable is.. then you probably shouldn't buy it. If you don't want to read a manual (as short as it is) you probably shouldn't buy it.
2.) There probably is not a condition that this unit cannot handle because it is so configurable. Configurable does not equate to complex... you just have to take the time to familiarize your self with the unit. Think of it like buying a new car... I remember picking up my wife's new car a year ago and the sales people spent 15 minutes going over the on-star and the stereo... I thought to myself.. holy crap I like how simple my old truck is. After driving her car a few times now, I understand my way around it  ;D

The more I use the LX7 the more I like it. I fully admit to being a skeptic, even admit that there were times that I didn't want to like it... but I do... I might even go so far to say as I love it. It's a very nice unit. The display is big and it can feel awkward to hold at times.. but that big display is nice to look at, and the ability to change up views is another great tool IMO.

The LX5 is a great flasher, it is simple compared to the LX7. It's up to you to decide if it's worth the extra $$. As for me, I am happy with mine.

Good luck!

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Addict
« Reply #2 on: Apr 03, 2014, 07:48 AM »
Thanks for the reply. What mode do u use it mostly, and do u think it excels in distinguishing fish in submerged trees, over the lx5's ability? I mainly do most of my fishing in 23-27 fow w submerged trees over the entire lake. Thanks

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #3 on: Apr 03, 2014, 07:49 AM »
thanks, that was a great hands on review!

i was interested in it too, but only when my bird was down
if i had to replace it, then the lx7 is what i would use too

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Addict
« Reply #4 on: Apr 03, 2014, 08:06 AM »
I'd also like to know how u like it outside in the bright sunlight. My Marcum 825sd camera needs to be used inside a shack, as it is hard to see the screen out in the sun. Thanks!

Offline Dakota Angler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fisherman walk on water
« Reply #5 on: Apr 03, 2014, 08:07 AM »
I run the LX-6 which is the little brother to the LX-7 (mainly screen size difference). Never have yet read the manual all I did was hit up a couple you tube videos on it and that was all I needed. It is very easy to use! Best feature for me is the zoom I am glued to that all the time. It is just like anything else that is digital and a new technology give it some time and you'll love it. Best purchase of the year!

Offline Dakota Angler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fisherman walk on water
« Reply #6 on: Apr 03, 2014, 08:09 AM »
I'd also like to know how u like it outside in the bright sunlight. My Marcum 825sd camera needs to be used inside a shack, as it is hard to see the screen out in the sun. Thanks!

I use mine the LX-6 outside all the time in the sun and wear sunglasses. The screen tilts up/down and you just tilt it to where it fits you for vision.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Addict
« Reply #7 on: Apr 03, 2014, 08:15 AM »
Thanks ;D

Offline WhereDaRainbows

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Apr 03, 2014, 09:20 AM »
I love my lx7. Another good reason it's better then the lx5 is the open water mode. You can set it to chart mode and it displays like a traditional fish finder and it's real time. So u can use it on ur boat to mark fish and jig those big lake trout
"I have fished through fishless days that I remember happily without regret." -- Roderick Haig-Brown

Offline rouser

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Apr 03, 2014, 10:26 AM »
Don,

I fish 12 mile & 3 mile a lot. If your familiar with those lakes, you know there is plenty of timber and the water depths are generally in that 20'+ range. The unit handle unit handles well in all depths I've fished (up to 40'). I would imagine it does well in deeper water too, I just haven't had the opportunity to fish in anything deeper than 40'

As for glare in the sun, the display shield does glare some but you can remedy that by applying an anti glare sheet like you use for ipads. Or remove the shield and there is no glare...it is very easy to read in full sunlight to.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Addict
« Reply #10 on: Apr 03, 2014, 10:57 AM »
Thanks guys!

Offline bigstorm

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Apr 03, 2014, 10:58 AM »
I bought the LX6 about 4 or 5 weeks ago, aside from an ATV this winter, the LX6 purchase was my best purchase. I went out last weekend for perch in 85ft, only needed to set the sensitivity to 4 in order to see the small ratso jig 65ft down. The zoom feature is great when fishing in more than 15ft of water too, really shows you if there is a fish tight on the bottom.

Offline MNDan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Apr 03, 2014, 11:11 AM »
The silence of motor-free graphing is one of the most underrated features of these new digital flashers. That alone got me to sell my LX-5 and camera to move up to the LX-9, not to mention the million other nice features, and I haven't been disappointed!

Offline DavidA

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Apr 03, 2014, 02:39 PM »
Sent U a PM
Sanity and happiness are an impossible combination.  Samuel Clemens

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Apr 03, 2014, 07:28 PM »
I bought one a 13 months ago, and used it only a couple times last year but have fished a lot this winter.

I love the unit.  I have done all the updates.  I usually set it up with a vertical display on dynamic depth on the right, and the rest of the screen on chart mode with auto bottom zoom.  The thing is so sensitive you can see a discarded maggot slowly drop to the bottom. 

To me the chart mode is the giant selling feature.  Yes, you can set it up like a traditional flasher, but after seeing the chart display I would never use the flasher mode.  It is really fun fishing for perch.  You can see individual fish going up and down, pick the biggest signal, move your jig to that, and observe the response.  Absolutely amazing.

I turn the dashboard off.  I have never had battery problems.  Fish all day and it is still going strong.  I recharge it if I have fished more than about 3 hours since last recharge.  I do notice that the bottom zoom gets a little jumpy depending on how many fish there are!  If a lot, then the unit interprets that as shallower water and adjusts.

The unit is big and heavy.  I built a "front porch" on my Smitty, and once I get out on the ice that's where the unit sits, with the transducer arm to one side or the other.  I drill a hole, pull the sled up, drop the puck in and fish!  I find it works better for me (with the thick ice we had this year) to put the thing down a foot or more in the hole.

Offline nnelzon23

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Apr 03, 2014, 08:59 PM »
I did not read all replies, but I run the LX6 and will tell you a couple of reasons I have loved it over the traditional flasher:

1st: The chart mode running beside the the flasher mode. It has a brief history which allows you to see bottom hugging fish as you can see a rise in th bottom while zoomed into chart mode.

2nd: No motor running eliminating the hmmmm sound.

3rd: The ability to configure the screen to fit your color needs. You can change the background while fishing in the sun to get a better view.

4th: The 6 color pallet on the flasher. You can actually see when your bait falls off when tuned properly as it shows blue while my jig shows up white.

5th: The ability to zoom in on 2 parts of the water column while still being able to see the whole water column on the flasher.

I am extremely happy with my upgrade and I bet all but the basic user would prefer this unit!
"Rippin Lips!"

Offline viciouscircle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • sure its thick enough to hold our weight, after u
« Reply #16 on: Apr 04, 2014, 08:32 AM »
I think you are nuts buying either, a graph unit will do the same for half the price.
   "SAY HELLO TO MY LITTLE FRIEND!"

Offline Green Mountain Boy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Apr 04, 2014, 08:33 AM »
I purchased the LX7 this season when Reeds had their big sale.   I took it out of the box and to the ice without reading the manual.  It rocked my world given I've never used electronics before.  It's intuitive and safe guarded somewhat against functional obselecence by being able to upgrade software with updates released by the manufacture.  In addition, with the purchase of the accessory transducer, it can be used year round in the "open water" mode.  Simply put - I'm a convert. 

Offline Carl.j.o

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Apr 06, 2014, 08:33 PM »
Got the lx6 2 years ago works like a champ. Running original software that works perfect . Don't fix it if it ain't broke.
I will never look at another flasher display unless I have no choice. The graph mode is amazing once you get used to it and variable zoom anywhere you want it is a huge plus.
6 color palette is top notch stuff.
Yes I would like a bigger screen of the lx-7 but used the 100 saved for the new shanty.

FLAG!!!

Offline Mr. Freeze Miser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Apr 06, 2014, 08:47 PM »
I've had many....the Vexilar FL-8, 18 and 20. I have the Lx5 and purchased the LX7 about 2 years ago. Simply the best unit on the market!  Large screen, no lag time, quiet and packed with numerous features...and the fact you can download firmware updates makes the unit "on the cutting edge" I am running 4.07 and love the new update. I will never look back!! Buy one and you'll fall in love too!!! 

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Addict
« Reply #20 on: Apr 12, 2014, 08:00 AM »
Thanks guys!

Offline Chris Raymond

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lifelong Outdoorsman
« Reply #21 on: Apr 16, 2014, 02:17 PM »
Thanks guys!

You can't just leave it at that...did you drop coin for a new unit or not?  ;-)
Chris Raymond

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Addict
« Reply #22 on: Apr 16, 2014, 02:38 PM »
You can't just leave it at that...did you drop coin for a new unit or not?  ;-)
there are no sales on any, in fact 90% of online dealers w no sales tax, report they are sold out. Redrock has one lx6 for $500, but I want the bigger screen that the lx7 offers. I'm holding off till closer to ice season, since there's no sales on them now, and see if marcum has something even newer to offer.

Offline Chris Raymond

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lifelong Outdoorsman
« Reply #23 on: Apr 16, 2014, 03:14 PM »
there are no sales on any, in fact 90% of online dealers w no sales tax, report they are sold out. Redrock has one lx6 for $500, but I want the bigger screen that the lx7 offers. I'm holding off till closer to ice season, since there's no sales on them now, and see if marcum has something even newer to offer.

Sounds like a plan. 
Chris Raymond

Offline jumbo chaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • never to cold to fish not cold enough!!
« Reply #24 on: Apr 16, 2014, 10:53 PM »
miller if you find a good deal on a 7 let me no im thinking about one also :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Never to many short poles

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Addict
« Reply #25 on: Apr 17, 2014, 10:17 AM »
miller if you find a good deal on a 7 let me no im thinking about one also :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
sure will Ron :tipup:

Offline jumbo chaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • never to cold to fish not cold enough!!
« Reply #26 on: Apr 21, 2014, 04:18 PM »
Thanks ;D ;D
Never to many short poles

Offline saskriverman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Apr 23, 2014, 12:02 AM »
x3 on the deal let me in as well plz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Addict