Author Topic: 3 days of rain? Are hidden & Skilak rotting?  (Read 791 times)

Offline martenpine

• IceShanty Rookie
  • when there is shot in the air there is hope
3 days of rain? Are hidden & Skilak rotting?
« on: Feb 19, 2008, 08:09 PM »
I've been working on my snowmachine so I can fish Skilak the last few days so haven't been out, Have any of you been on Skilak or Hidden the last few days? it's got to be a pond on top of that ice. How much ice have we lost?

Offline groundsluice_pete

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I live for hard water fishing.
Re: 3 days of rain? Are hidden & Skilak rotting?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 19, 2008, 09:04 PM »
In my experience it should take longer than that. A few more days of this, and Hidden will show some signs of rotting, but if it turns around, and has a hard freeze, it will be OK.

Can't say the same for Skilak, but that is a lake of a different color- much more wind and current at the outlet.

What the matter with your snowmachine? I've been dieing to get out on mine but it's been either too cold, too windy, or now, too rainy. Or maybe I'm just too old.

We need to get together Marten. I have a 3-day weekend ahead. I'm hoping for some good weather!
See you up the trail.

Offline martenpine

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 19, 2008, 11:54 PM »
I just had to reighn back and do some work on the machine. Put some cleats in the track, mount some ice scratchers. ect.......

Just bought the machine and refining it into a ice fishing machine.

Hay,_pete we should get together, maybe train my lab with your sluicen this fall or catch a giant laker?? this week.

Offline AKBob

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 20, 2008, 02:40 PM »

If you go out to Hidden Lake you might want to take some tire chains along. The last down hill stretch before the turn off can get very slick with the rain and warm weather. I have had to use chains just to get back to the highway a couple times in the past years.
The road to Skilak can get pretty slick also.

Offline martenpine

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 21, 2008, 10:19 PM »
Well, I went and looked at Skilak Yestarday, I didn't fish (I still need to rig up a trailer for gear), I  just did a long tour around on the snowmachine and had lunch out at Doroshin Bay. I chopped a hole in 1 spot with my axe, it was pretty rotten I'd say less than a foot in that spot. Lots of holes where water was pouring up through while the machines traveled. Some bigger holes also. Nearer, the river mouth I watched my buddies machine kinda rise and fall on the ice as if there were smooth waves rolling a boat. I just poured on the gas and flew through there. So I'd say it's rotting and some spots are spotty, probably still fishable but I'm holding off and watching  the weather on that lake.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.