New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SOUTHERN N.Y. THREAD (L.I., WESTCHESTER, PUTNAM, DUTCHESS, SULLIVAN, ORANGE COUN  (Read 1091833 times)

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Guys were fishing that little pond across from Wal Mart in Monticello yesterday.

If the pond you are talking about is Kiamesha Lake, they just pulled a body out of there earlier this week.

So, I drove around to Toronto and White Lake yesterday and both are locked up with no open water I could see out in the middles. I did not drill test at either body. SB still does have some open water in a few spots close to shore but looks locked out in the middle. 6:25 here in Forestburgh on Friday morning with 37 degrees and raining.

Gam
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline beachwoods 16

• Team IceShanty Addict
If the pond you are talking about is Kiamesha Lake, they just pulled a body out of there earlier this week.

So, I drove around to Toronto and White Lake yesterday and both are locked up with no open water I could see out in the middles. I did not drill test at either body. SB still does have some open water in a few spots close to shore but looks locked out in the middle. 6:25 here in Forestburgh on Friday morning with 37 degrees and raining.

Gam
This pond is right at the intersection/entrance to wal mart  and anawanda. It's a puddle. I cruised by the boat ramp on White lake about 1:15 pm. Was that you in the grey truck?

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
This pond is right at the intersection/entrance to wal mart  and anawanda. It's a puddle. I cruised by the boat ramp on White lake about 1:15 pm. Was that you in the grey truck?

NOPE, Dark blue 4Runner. Did you step out to check ice thickness?

Offline hardwaterhonkey

• Team IceShanty Addict
Ballsy to go on those big lakes check smaller deeper bodies of water in area you’ll find ice becareful along shorelines  after these two days this is our season boys make the best out of it and be safe

Offline kbaez

• Team IceShanty Regular
Whats the word in Sullivan county morningside or superior being fished?

Offline NYBasser

• Team IceShanty Regular
Superior shorelines at the boat ramp were fine when I fished yesterday morning. Main lake was locked up, no idea on thickness though.

Offline beachwoods 16

• Team IceShanty Addict
NOPE, Dark blue 4Runner. Did you step out to check ice thickness?
No it was a no brainer to stay off.

Offline kbaez

• Team IceShanty Regular
Any one fish today superior or morning side im debating on taking the ride to look for ice tomorrow any input would be very helpful thanks

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Lot of fog atop the ice since yestetday afternoon..thinking it would be sketchy at best
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline beachwoods 16

• Team IceShanty Addict
Looks like it's going to freeze just in time to thaw out next weekend !???

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I just drove past Highland lake heading to Eldred and lots of open water still.

Gam

Offline Slabs247

• IceShanty Rookie
Gam,
That’s ironic I was in that area same time today. Also saw the open water myself in highland . Me and my buddy did a big loop in Sullivan checking multiple lakes today. Shores were bad on all but one, Susperior!  Surprisingly there were people out on superior today We didn’t venture out with the howling winds. This weeks low temps are good but this upcoming weekend  is depressing looking for temps.

Offline kbaez

• Team IceShanty Regular
Ice on superior was 5” edges were open in places didnt venture far from boat launch and the bite was tough

Offline beachwoods 16

• Team IceShanty Addict
I did the ride around and feel by wed. a lot of places will lock up enough if your careful. The shore ice is sketchy in a lot of places but it's there. The weekend forecast stinks. Looking like a dangerous month.

Offline beachwoods 16

• Team IceShanty Addict
I took the spud to white lake today and found an easy 4 inches of solid ice. I didn't go out to hole but someone was fishing there. A guy who x country ski's said they were there yesterday. I fished  tonight on a smaller body of water out by me. Had a good 4-5 inches of ice. No fish but Nice to be out.

Offline Dave327

• Team IceShanty Regular
Fished Superior this morning. About 5” of ice with lots of water on top. Drilled 8” holes and they were probably 9” when I left around noon. I think we are done with safe ice for at least a couple of weeks. May have some safe ice by the end of the month.
Stay safe out there, no fish worth dying for!

Offline beachwoods 16

• Team IceShanty Addict
Fished Superior this morning. About 5” of ice with lots of water on top. Drilled 8” holes and they were probably 9” when I left around noon. I think we are done with safe ice for at least a couple of weeks. May have some safe ice by the end of the month.
Stay safe out there, no fish worth dying for!
Glad to hear someone got out!

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Dave327 thank you for your ice conditions report on lake Superior. I looked at the projected ten day forecast for my area not good if correct my area of eastern Orange county will not see below freezing temperature for the daily high until next Sunday.

There are two contests scheduled for the weekend of Jan.25-26.  On Sat.Jan.25 TH there is a contest for youth held by the Sullivan County Federation of Sportmen's clubs at Crystal Lake inthe TEn Mile river Boy Scout property.(Western part of the county)  On Sun.Jan.26TH is the Swan Lake Hose Co.#1 contest. Information on both contests can be found in the 2020 Contests,Tournamenta and Derbies thread found at to of New York forum page. The thread is being compiled by moderator Raquettedacker.

Hopefully the weather will be cold enough in Sullivan county that enough ice forms and these contest are held.

Steve

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Wife and I took our typical drive yesterday. Very windy and stupid warm at around 56 and even worse today with 65 in Forestburgh. Driving past SB I saw no fools on the ice and not sure if the ripples I could see were open water or water on top of thin ice. Drove past White Lake and there were a couple guys out in the straights between the lakes but it sure did not look good to me. There were some guys out on Morningside but it was wet on top. We drove up to Waneta in Delaware county and talked to with a couple guys fishing there who said the ice was around 4 inches but they were leaving because it started to feel real weak from the early morning and through the day with top water draining into their holes. They drove past BP on their way in the morning and said there were a couple guys there but it had open water out in the middle and the shorelines were real bad.

I have 2 trips planned for the last week of January and the first week of February but think I better put them on ice, From My freezer! :'( Wish someone had gifted me a nice bottle of scotch for Christmas so I could kick back and cry while I tend to the freaking garden in January. Be very careful now because we could have a very wild temp swing from the 60s right down to well below zero any time now and if you have not lived in these times like this, this is when the underground pipes freeze because there is no frost in the ground that actually protects them. OMG, my lawn is thinking it is time to get green already. Go take a walk in the woods and search for deer sheds if you really need to be outdoors.

Gam

Offline beachwoods 16

• Team IceShanty Addict
I fished Lake Huntington Friday with six inches of ice. Went to a ball game at the high school today and there was no shore ice even! Amazing how quick it happens.

Offline greensider

• Team IceShanty Addict
Morgan lake in Poughkeepsie is all open

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Lakes took a beating with the warm spell and the wind ..but starting Saturday them temperatures drop down and ice making begins ..the predicted snow will be a PITA but will have lil effect overall ..First ice AGAIN .

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline beachwoods 16

• Team IceShanty Addict
Sundays wind will probably clean up the  snow on the ice. And then a nice freeze. Thats what I'm hoping for anyway.

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Temperatures  drop starting Thursday night ..the snow that will fall wont be a big deal as most will melt atop the open water and the warm ground will soak up some ..need some snow for dragging sleds ..the wind seem to die down mid week..so that's good news ..

Offline beachwoods 16

• Team IceShanty Addict
I don't think there is going to be open water by Saturday  in the western part of Sullivan and the higher elevations. Thursday and Friday will make a lot of ice. I have seen reports of up to a foot of snow. I did a little coyote hunting this morning and and a lot of places were ice covered. Totally not safe of course. I'd rather have the open water for the snow but doubt that will happen here.

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
They seem to be backing off the snow totals a bit ..from 11" to 8" in my area.. so that's good news..hoping for better news 5" would be awesome ..that wind seems to be come with the beginning of the cold front on Thursday night too..

Offline beachwoods 16

• Team IceShanty Addict
5 inches sounds better. I'm going to try and test some ice Friday afternoon. Don't have any hopes for safe ice, but I am interested to so how it bounces back before the storm.

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Well they backed way off on the snow total for lower Sullivan Co..6" at the most..if that ..temps dropping and  stay below freezing for quite a while ..but that wind wont stop till 6 am on Saturday ..

Offline hardwaterhonkey

• Team IceShanty Addict
some safe stuff in Sullivan just have to look for it

Offline Ice Wine

• Team IceShanty Regular
Do any of you guys ever fish Toronto Reservoir? Tried a few times in the past and never caught much but it seems like there should be some decent fishing there. Any tips? Plan to give it another shot this year.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.