Author Topic: Safety Equipment  (Read 3976 times)

Offline smontague

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Flag up, ass down
Safety Equipment
« on: Aug 21, 2011, 10:56 AM »
Just a quick thought, or question for my fellow shantymen,

What kind of safety gear( picks, axe, PFD, first aid or whatever ) do all you portable guys and static shanty guys keep with them on the ice?

Also, on a side note, I know in the spring I said I was going to get a Lowrance ice machine, but I think I'm going to go with the Humminbird ICE345C. Looks like a sharp little machine.

Cheers. :tipup:

surflizard

Re: Safety Equipment
« Reply #1 on: Aug 21, 2011, 12:27 PM »
Safety Things I bring !

First and foremost, My Arctic Armor Suit.

100' hank of 1/2" poly rope with a toss weight on it, just in case !

Cell in a zip lock and yaktracks even if I don't need them !

Small first aid kit, 2 people last season, were glad I had it !

Offline 3rd_Geer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Aug 21, 2011, 02:11 PM »
Last year I bought a Mustang integrity float coat, one piece of safety equipment that I will always have on me now during early ice, hopefully I never have to use it. I also have picks and a 100" length of rope with a boat seat cushion tied to it.  A GPS is also a must when on big water, they are indispensable when a storm kicks up.  My brother is in the Coast Guard and pulls alot of people off Saginaw Bay every year that didn't take basic safety gear with them.

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Aug 21, 2011, 09:29 PM »
I usually bring my auger....I drill test holes as I walk/drive out .... if I don't see others already out there...

Offline MEMAGGIENCOMET

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Aug 21, 2011, 10:37 PM »
I take ice picks , 25' of rope and my creepers.  For early and late ice I never wear my jacket or bibs as I walk out. Heavy clothes can soak up a lot of water and weigh you down if you went though. I have always just put them on as needed when I get to my fishing spot

Offline ice pig 121

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Aug 27, 2011, 09:14 AM »
I take ice picks , 25' of rope and my creepers.  For early and late ice I never wear my jacket or bibs as I walk out. Heavy clothes can soak up a lot of water and weigh you down if you went though. I have always just put them on as needed when I get to my fishing spot

Thats a really good idea, plus by the time you get to your spot you've sweated with all your gear on and now being cold is your concern.  Thanks for the pointer and keep it safe this year!
Tight lines and happy hunting to all! Go Vikings!!

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #6 on: Aug 27, 2011, 11:22 AM »
1. Let a responsible person know where I am going, when I will be returning and inform he or she know of any changes  to the plan.

2. Artic Armor, easy, it floats!

3. Chisel, checking the ice.

4. Throw Bag, Practice and Rescue training.

5.First Aid Kit, First Aid & CPR courses, familiar with all items carried. Currently an EMT.

6. Survival items, actually have used, in practice, all of the items carried.

7. Repair items, tools, nuts, bolts, zip ties, DUCK TAPE, etc.

BE PREPARED!

"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Aug 27, 2011, 01:41 PM »
C-4
Flamethrower

Offline PsychologicalPerch

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Catch and Release (Feel better and less fat)
« Reply #8 on: Aug 27, 2011, 02:07 PM »
Tell my friends where I am going (I would tell family but they always come!)
Ice picks
Inflatable sled/ great for transportation/comfort/and safety
25 foot long rope
cellphone in zip lock
snacks(if caught in snow storm)
extra pair of socks and sweatsuit

Fishing is a sport in which thinking is involved it is the covenant between nature and man, mother and son. Through fishing only can we recreate the link that has been tarnished throughout the existence of the modern era of mankind. Fishing is the answer yet people ignore it and consider it a "stupid" thing to do. What do these people do instead? They stare in front of color changing boxes. Is that life? My life is fishin

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Sep 26, 2011, 10:08 PM »
you guys with the 25 foot rope...think that is enough? i would think that by the time that you tossed the line out, the one in the water grabs it about 3 feet up. this leaves you with a minimum of 22 feet from the victim and less than that from the weak ice. you grab your end about 3 feet from the end. now, you are 19 feet away.
too close for comfort for me. i carry a 100 foot rope with a boat bumper tied to one end. hope i never have to use it in an emergency. 

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #10 on: Sep 27, 2011, 01:50 AM »
Complete set of clothing and boots/shoes in dry bag LOCKED in truck. (We don't drive on what little ice we get.)
A good thermos with something warm can be nice as you get to be in your elderly years, ha.
No alcohol beginning the day before going out on the ice and none 'til the filets are finished. It just makes us colder and ...
The list could be longer but, it's been said.

C-4, a flamethrower and some alcohol ~ now there's a sight.    :woot: :roflmao:

Offline johnsaredneck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Oct 12, 2011, 09:50 PM »
Arctic Armor, ice picks, and 25' of rope on a mig welder wire spool with a loop tied on the end. I would like to see someone throw a rope further then 25 feet. You can roll the spool to someone like a bowling ball.
Ice fishing is no catch and release sport.

Offline ravinerat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Oct 20, 2011, 07:46 AM »
I always carry my ice picks on early ice as it is really hard to get yourself back up on the ice. (especially if your overweight) I also carry Throw Bag which has 70' of floating rope. Wwe use this for white water rescue and it great for alsorts of stuff. I have an ice screw which can give me an anchor point at any time on the ice. We too drill holes about every 50' to check thickness. I have a floater coat which adds to the safety. Knowledge is your best asset.

RR
Be safe, Float!

Offline natep24

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Oct 27, 2011, 03:19 PM »
I carry:
1) a portable Vhf radio in a sealed bag to contact the local fire and ems (currently certified as a ice water rescue tech.  with local fire and ems)
2) 75' of rescue rope in a throw bag
3) a Nebulus flotation device..... www.nebulusflotation.c om
4) extra socks
5) ice picks
6) whistle
and very soon i will have a set of arctic armor

all this i learned after going through the ice on my four wheeler
Nate P
Firefighter/EMT

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com