Author Topic: Higher up, smaller mountain lakes, longer trips  (Read 1066 times)

Offline Adventure

• IceShanty Rookie
Higher up, smaller mountain lakes, longer trips
« on: Jan 19, 2018, 04:39 PM »
With the ice conditions as they are, have many attempts been made to higher up lakes, especially those that might require longer stretches of time?

Lakes around Stanley (Stanley, Red Fish, Yellow Belly, etc.), McCall (Upper Payette, Boulder Lake, Box Lake, Brundage Reservour,  Louie Lake; excluding Payette,  Cascade, Horsethief).

I've been to all of above during spring/summer/fall, but not very familiar with winter conditions, except for lakes/reservoirs with easy access.

I know that access would be the hard  (requiring snowmobiles, snowshoes, etc), if possible at all.  But are there other obstacles, such as impassible deep snows, avalanche dangers?  I'll admit I only have basic experience in Idaho back county during winter, the other seasons are well covered.

This type of trip would of course not be an every weekend type of outing, but once or twice a winter, if at all.

Any comments, feedback and stories are welcomed.

Offline Walleyewacker007

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Higher up, smaller mountain lakes, longer trips
« Reply #1 on: Jan 20, 2018, 12:36 PM »
I have fished a few of the lakes around Stanley before and you are correct that the ice is typically better the higher you go. As long as the road is open you can still find ice in April. You will need a snowmobile as most lakes are miles away from plowed roads. Warm Lake is an excellent exception with the road to the lodge plowed the whole way and easy walk on access to good trout and kokanee fishing. I will fish Cascade until the edges at Poison Creek are gone, then I move on to Stanley. I haven't tried any of those others you mentioned by McCall, if I recall correctly those tend to hold mostly trout and I like to go places where multiple species can be targeted.

Offline Bearsfan

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 25, 2018, 04:22 PM »
I did that many moons ago by snowmobile, fished granite Brundage and Hazzard. The snow, slush and ice was just nasty deep. Early winter (before snow) would be the time to do that.

Offline Adventure

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 03, 2018, 03:24 PM »
Thank you for input gentleman. With the weather as it is, might plan a few trip to some backcounty lake in in Feb. My favorite species to fish is trout, so that's ideal.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.