Author Topic: Marmooska Jigs  (Read 4004 times)

Offline walliceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Waiting to ice that first eye!
Marmooska Jigs
« on: Jan 26, 2004, 02:40 PM »
hey guys,

I was wondering how many of you guys use marmooska's for crappie? Also whats your favorite color and size? and is there anything I should do to prep for using them? because i heard the crappies will just suck them in and spit them out before i even know what happened, so i was thinking of a very fine spring bobber, or maybe even tightlining? Thanks

-Evan

Offline Pop

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re:Marmooska Jigs
« Reply #1 on: Jan 26, 2004, 03:31 PM »
Evan, I use a # 12 and a # 14 Marmooska for my go to bait for crappies.  The chartreuse, green, with white tip or chartreuse, orange, with white tip are the ones I use most.  I do open the hook a bit but you will get great hook ups without this.  I normally put three spikes or a single wax worm on them for bait.  This year I have been playing with micro plastics and having good luck.  I tight line the baits and watch the vex. for any sign the crappies are moving through at a different depth.

Pop

pryorok

« Reply #2 on: Jan 26, 2004, 03:58 PM »
Hey Pop,
When using plastics how do you put them on the hook?  Do you worm them on like earthworms and leave a little bit of the tale to wiggle or do you go across the plastic the first time and back? Also how much of the plastic do you use?  I don't seem to get the action I want.   Maybe I am using too much of it. Thanks!

Offline Pop

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 26, 2004, 04:41 PM »
I use the System Tackle plastics.  I don't recall the name, they are small thin strips that I break off the last 3/4 " and hook it just once near the thick end.  I like the red and the chartreuse.  I have also used a sliver of plastic cut from the tail of a Mr. Twister.  It is about 1/8 " by 1/2 " and pointed on one end.  I have always used red for these.  If you want something different, take an old chamois and cut a strip about the same size and put it on the marmooska.  The longer you use it the softer it gets.  I hook everything the same, just once near the end and let it trail out behind the bait.

Pop

Offline crappieloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • nnnnn......Ice
« Reply #4 on: Jan 26, 2004, 07:00 PM »
walliceman, my rigs are the same as Pops. #12 or#14 moosksas char-white glow or orange-white glow, except i use 1 or 2 spikes and never go heavier than 1&1/2lb. mono line. I use 12'' or 15'' noodle rods,with spring bobbers.
Crappieloo :'(

Offline walliceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Waiting to ice that first eye!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 26, 2004, 07:29 PM »
Man crappieloo,

Your really going small lol

-Evan

pryorok

« Reply #6 on: Jan 26, 2004, 08:05 PM »
Thanks Pop! I will give'r a try.  Just as I suspected, I have been using too long of a piece of plastic.  I'm gonna try the chamois idea as well.  

All the best

Offline crappieloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • nnnnn......Ice
« Reply #7 on: Jan 27, 2004, 08:42 PM »
You ever have times when the bite is tough, or nonexsistant?
I dont. hehe

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.