The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Eskimo not working properly, need help  (Read 4786 times)

Offline boinger

• IceShanty Rookie
Eskimo not working properly, need help
« on: Nov 26, 2010, 07:21 PM »
I need help some help trying to diagnose what is going on with my eskimo auger.  I have a lot of questions regarding what might be going south with my auger.  Thanks in advance for your help!!

So I purchased an eskimo auger from a guy on craigs list last month.   When I got it, it was working good and started on second pull.  The only problem was that gas was leaking out of the grommet.  I called ardisam and they sent a new grommet along with new fuel lines.  I replaced the grommet and fuel line.  While doing that, I noticed that that primer line needed to be replaced as well.  I replaced that primer line (more hassle than I thought) with fuel line purchased from hardware store. 
After replacing fuel and primer line, I noticed that the gas cap was also leaking.  I went to scheels and found a new gas cap that is manual venting.  With everything fixed, I went and purchased 2cylce oil (echo) from the same hardware store, changed the spark plug, filled it up and gave it a pull. It started after the 2nd pull and everything was fine during the idle process.  I hit the throttle and it was working good UNTIL I let off the throttle.  After 2 seconds it died.  So I started it up again and it ran fine during idle and giving it throttle.  After I let off the throttle it died again.   The only other thing I noticed was that the blade was turn a tad while in idle.  I read that the cause of that is usually it’s running to high and to adjust the idle. 

So with all of that said (sorry so long) I’m trying to find out what’s going on???  Here are some things I’m thinking.

1.   Need a new gas cap
2.   The arc isn’t set up correctly on my spark plug
3.   I mixed it 50:1 as opposed to 24:1 (the guy I bought it from said 24:1)  The only reason I did 50:1 is because I read it on the eskimo   manual on their web site.  My problem is that I’m not exactly sure which engine I have.  I have conflicting manuals.  The engine states that it’s a 2004 mako model 43.  Does anyone know if that’s a Tecumseh or Viper?  Could the wrong mix cause this?
4.   Idle problem

Any help is MUCH appreciated. 

Thanks,

Boinger

Offline wyo700

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Eskimo not working properly, need help
« Reply #1 on: Nov 26, 2010, 07:34 PM »
was your choke off after you started and throttled it.

Offline boinger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Nov 26, 2010, 07:40 PM »
was your choke off after you started and throttled it.

Yes, after it started, i ran it with the choke off. 

Offline Millsy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Nov 26, 2010, 07:44 PM »
Is the manual vent on the cap open? Can you try it with the cap loosened off?

Offline wyo700

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Nov 26, 2010, 07:45 PM »
could be a number of things but sounds like fuel problems.  could be flooding it out.  the jets might need to be changed.  or the carb just could use a good cleaning and be rebuilt could be running out of fuel when you are trying to give it more gas.

Offline wyo700

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Nov 26, 2010, 07:46 PM »
Is the manual vent on the cap open? Can you try it with the cap loosened off?

good idea didnt think of that could be vapor lock

surflizard

« Reply #6 on: Nov 26, 2010, 07:48 PM »
Hey boinger, it sounds like the ethanol monster has reared its ugly head ! Ethanol will break down the fuel systems nowadays, degrading rubber gas lines and it turns carburetor diaphragms into a gelatinous mess if left untreated for any length of time ! I have an old Eskimo Shark model 8600, It was left with gas in it for 5 years, What a mess ! I replaced everything except the tank and used the clear soft fuel line. I was able to get a Walbro carb rebuild kit for it and now she purrs like a Scaulded cat ! I'd try the carb rebuild kit, sound like it may be torn or desolved like mine was !
I started using the Seafoam fuel cleaner/stabilizer and all my engines, big and small run the best they ever have ! Hope this helps, good luck .

Offline boinger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Nov 26, 2010, 07:56 PM »
Yes, the vent was open, I'll try opening the cap. I was really hoping it wasn't the carbs! I'll give it a shot. thanks for your help!

Offline boinger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Nov 27, 2010, 07:47 AM »
Couple more questions before I purchase a carb kit just because it wasn't happening when i first bought it. 

Would an improper oil ratio cause this?  50:1 as opposed to what the guy told me to do (24:1)? 

Also, does anyone know what engine the mako model 43 from the year 2004 is?  My manual does tell me much so I want to at least try to find out spark plug arc, proper oil ratio, etc...

Thanks again!

Boinger

Offline littlesturgeonguy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Nov 27, 2010, 07:59 AM »
If it were me i would see if i could find a replacement carb all together for a fair price. One that has the low and high speed setting.

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Nov 27, 2010, 09:53 AM »
Switch to Amsoil or Opti 2, get the foil packs and mix 1 pack to .8 gal of gas then you wont have to worry about the ratio.

Offline boinger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Nov 27, 2010, 10:12 AM »
I've spent the last hour trying to find amsoil here in Nebraska..hahahahaha.  I guess i just have to order it.  Any retailer carry it?

Thanks guys.

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Nov 27, 2010, 10:21 AM »
In my area some auto parts stores carry it. Seasrch for a dealer on Amsoils site lots of guys sell out of their garages.

Offline boinger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Nov 27, 2010, 10:49 AM »
Found opti2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Wish me luck.

Offline boinger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Nov 27, 2010, 12:25 PM »
FIXED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here's what I did"

1. opened it up and sprayed carb cleaner inside the carb.
2. Cut/trimmed the primer line.  I noticed that the primer line was blocking the choke so it wasn't closing/opening properly.  I'm fairly sure this was the main problem.
3. messed with idle

Result: more powerful than before and idling great after hitting the throttle.

So far so good!  Thanks for all of your help! 

Offline wyo700

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Nov 27, 2010, 12:53 PM »
good find hopefully she keeps running great for you.  now all you need to do is try her on some ice.  tight lines.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.