IceShanty Main > General Ice Fishing Chit Chat

I'm Done with Octopus Circle Hooks

(1/5) > >>

bridgedoctor:
Last year I made out alright with circle hooks for trout.  This year is a different story.  I'm fishing where the fish are larger and I lost much more fish than I iced.  I've had good solid hits and felt the fish's weight as I pulled the line in.  Then the hook popped out!  I'm trying different hooks now.  As for the Circle Jerk Hooks...Forget about it.

deadsmelthead:
Interesting, I have never had a problem. They are all I have used for the past 6 years.

bridgedoctor:
deadsmelthead
If you're not losing fish as I am, then you must have the technique down.  How do you use them?

deadsmelthead:
I get to them as soon as possible, I'm not a big fan of letting them have it for awhile. It just doesn't make sense to me. Is this what you are doing ? Leting fish sit there with it ? If they are turning the spool , set the hook. I also think hook placement on the bait is key also. I place the hook towards the tail, I believe it gives you a nice hook set in the corner of the jaw. I started noticing early on when using them that in front of the dorsal fin I would just pull the hook out of the bait during the hookset and it would finangle it way right out of there mouth. I could feel the fish there and then they would be gone. I don't understand why but it seemed to be the case. Don't get me wrong I as everyone loose fish now and then, and for the most part it seems it's the flags that go unnoticed at first or are a good distance away and take a few minutes to get to.

bridgedoctor:
I tried both ways; pulling the line on the spinning spool when I got to the tip-up and letting the fish have the minnow for awhile then pull on the line when the spool spun again.  My buddies have started replacing their circle hooks too for the same reason.  I also hook the minnow behind the dorsal fin, which hasn't increased the hook sets.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version