Author Topic: Trailer Skis  (Read 1170 times)

Offline munchy71

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
Trailer Skis
« on: Sep 25, 2006, 08:50 PM »
Noticed on an Ice Team video the other day that they were pulling trailer across the lakes on skis that strap to the trailer tires.  Has anyone ever seen any of these, or do you suppose these were a custom job???  I'd really like to try the same thing with mine.

Thanks in advance!
-Munchy
Rod Woten

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
Re: Trailer Skis
« Reply #1 on: Sep 26, 2006, 08:04 PM »
I have seen several home made jobs, but never a comercial made version. When you grow up in Minnesota, you will see skis attached to just about everything! ;)

There is a guy who fishes my neighbourhood lake who has a modified snowmobile trailer with skis. He pulls with a Farmall tractor out on the ice. It looks like he removes the wheels and bolts the ski brackets to the hubs.

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Sep 26, 2006, 08:16 PM »
The old Arctic Cat snowmobile skis are nice and wide, plenty strong too....

I have built a couple ice fishing trailers out of them. Try not to weld to them, use the bolt holes for the leaf springs. It seems that the heat from the welder takes the temper out of the steel and they CRACK. :-\

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Sep 27, 2006, 07:21 PM »
I used to weld steel skis all the time.
Never a problem.
You need to heat them back up with a torch and let them cool slowly.
This anneals them.
Then clean them, wire brush them, paint with primer and finish with black spray paint.
Good as new.
Mac

My dad is a welder by trade. I guess thats why the skis he welds hold, and the ones I weld snap!! ;D Guess I should pay more attention to the old fart, I just might learn somthing! ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.