Author Topic: Flasher repair  (Read 985 times)

Offline BH2

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Dont wish your life away!
Flasher repair
« on: Dec 09, 2018, 08:39 PM »
I have to send my wife's Marcum in for repair. I'm just curious if anyone on here has done so and what kind of turn around times there experiencing?I will call Marcum in the next few days just trying to figure out our options. If there's a long turn around we may just upgrade her to a new one and get this one fixed and keep for a spare.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
Re: Flasher repair
« Reply #1 on: Dec 09, 2018, 09:55 PM »
depends on their work load. i sent mine in and it was back a week later. sent it in for the lx7 to lx9 upgrade.

what is wrong with it?

Offline Fishtrekker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 09, 2018, 10:24 PM »
Repairs are made pretty simple for any company I think which is nice,  here is their repair form: https://marcumtech.com/non-warranty/

Offline mountana

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 09, 2018, 10:35 PM »
I was about to send my LX5 in for repairs this morning. It was turning on and I could hear it operating so I figured the battery was fine as it had just been charged but it just wasn't acting "right". Turns out the battery was only up to 7V and it just wasn't enough for the flasher to operate fully. I'm sure you probably aren't having the same issue but figured I through it out there. A new battery fixed my problems.

Offline BH2

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Dont wish your life away!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 10, 2018, 05:16 AM »
depends on their work load. i sent mine in and it was back a week later. sent it in for the lx7 to lx9 upgrade.

what is wrong with it?
Sometimes it doesent display anything. Other times it seems to operate fine but you have to have the gain turned way up even to see larger tungsten jigs in 10 fow. If you pick it up to move sometimes it beeps and shuts off. I was wondering If the transducer was bad,and possible bad connection. It does a lot of weird stuff. The battery and charger are both new,but I will test battery before I ship it out.

Offline DoctorPerch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 10, 2018, 10:06 AM »
First measure battery voltage and make sure it is in the 12 volt area.  If battery is good, the shutting off could be due to loose connection to the battery or some damage to the wireing.  First see that connectors hold firmly to the battery terminals.  Tighten if loose with pliers.  If not loose and you have tools, get new spade connectors from Home Depot, cut old ones off and replace.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #6 on: Dec 10, 2018, 02:16 PM »
when you test the battery do it while the unit is on. the transducer does not have to be in water. if the battery tests over 12.5 volts do a floor test or do it when ever you think the transducer is in trouble. set it up on a kitchen counter or where you have a hard floor. it works on linoleum flooring for me, and let the transducer hang in it's holder and turn up the gain until you see it on the display. after you see it on the display pick it up and move it up and down and see if the display shows you doing so. if it does the transducer is okay.
if the battery drops to below 10 volts, some thing is wrong with the battery or charger or both. you say it's a new battery. did you have a problem that made you buy the new battery and that problem stayed?

if you have a fuse, replace it with a new one. you could use 1 amp higher at least for testing. also pinch the battery connectors on the power cable a little at a time so they will still slip over the battery connectors, but fit snugly. if you pinch them too tight just push a small screwdriver into them part way to open them back up.

to me it sounds power related for sure and not a head unit repair. double check the connections on the rear of the head too. look at them and check for corrosion and make sure they are tight when hooking it back up. the fuse can look and test ok, but it could have a tiny crack on it that still makes contact but lowers the amps. best to have several on hand in case it does blow any ways.

they say 90% of sonar issues are battery/power related.

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 10, 2018, 04:15 PM »
maybe drive it over and watch them fix it

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
« Reply #8 on: Dec 11, 2018, 08:17 AM »
My buddy has sent in his Lx7 twice. He was pleased with service from Marcum. Took a few weeks to get flasher back but he never said he was unhappy with dealing with them.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.