Author Topic: Walleye Jigging Rod Help  (Read 1287 times)

Offline Moldman52

• IceShanty Rookie
Walleye Jigging Rod Help
« on: Dec 09, 2018, 06:58 AM »
Fellow Ice Fishers,  I am getting ready for a ice fishing trip tp upper Michigan and would like to set up a few jigging rods for walleye. For those of you that jig for winter walleye can you please tell me your rod set up? Info like action, length, line etc. Any help is deeply appreciated. Thanks
Wishing You All Straight Shooting, Tight Lines and a Limit of Fun

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Walleye Jigging Rod Help
« Reply #1 on: Dec 09, 2018, 05:16 PM »
32 inch medIum heavy ice slammer or a 28 inch medium or medium heavy  ice blue all spinning rods I would pair these rods with a okuma stratus 5 in a 3500  to 4500 size or shimano sedona in like a 3000 to 4000 . Size with 8  to 12 pound mono.. all depending on size of fish cought.. ice slammer rods are sold at sportsmens direct here in michigan.. I think they cost about $20 each??

Offline eyeflyer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 09, 2018, 05:30 PM »
I use about 30"medium action rods with size 1000 shimano reels. I use 8lb. superline, fireline or power pro. With superline you still get about 100 yards of line on a size 1000 reel which is more than you ever need for winter or summer fishing. I rig all my ice rods with ice buster floats, improves hookups substantially. I do use a couple different baitcasters in my auto jigger as well.

Offline WalleyeBird

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 09, 2018, 05:50 PM »
Not sure how big of walleye you or these guys plan to catch but I fish a 28” fast action medium light with a 13 long stem spinning reel. 6 pound fireline will do you just fine with a 5 foot 6lb fluoro leader tied with a double uni knot on the end. If the water is stained or turbid you may not need the leader

Offline Bucket Rump

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 09, 2018, 06:20 PM »
I'm rigged up with 27" and 28" Fenwick Aetos and Elite Tech rods in medium and medium heavy (good tip action with plenty of backbone and the lengths work well inside my one-man flip shanty) all with Pfleuger 6920 President reels.  I spool up with 6lb Suffix Elite as my backing/filler then add 30-40 yards of 6lb Nanofil and finish it off with 18-24" of 4lb or 6lb P-Line Floroice.  Mainly use #5 or #7 Jigging Raps, #3 or #5 Do-Jiggers, 1/2 oz Moonshine Jigging spoons.

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 09, 2018, 07:57 PM »
ht polar gold are good budget rods.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Dec 11, 2018, 12:13 PM »
32" eyeconic mlxf. Liking it so far!

EYECONICFISHING

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 11, 2018, 06:15 PM »
I'm rigged up with 27" and 28" Fenwick Aetos and Elite Tech rods in medium and medium heavy (good tip action with plenty of backbone and the lengths work well inside my one-man flip shanty) all with Pfleuger 6920 President reels.  I spool up with 6lb Suffix Elite as my backing/filler then add 30-40 yards of 6lb Nanofil and finish it off with 18-24" of 4lb or 6lb P-Line Floroice.  Mainly use #5 or #7 Jigging Raps, #3 or #5 Do-Jiggers, 1/2 oz Moonshine Jigging spoons.

I see michiganders think alike on the med to med/heavy .. but that does not mean it's the only rod in the country!!  some people in the Midwest might fish a medium light with 6 lb line go figure..  I am just use to michigan and the avarage rods used here.. we like the medium if there's a lot of 16 to 20 inch fish??  those are the better eaters the bigger egg laying fish 20 + inches I usally throw back cause there tough textured meat..  and the other reason  there egg layers the potential of another large fish is better when one large fish is released.. but that does not mean the large fish lay more eggs! It the oppsite the small fish do.. I just find the meat tougher then the smaller fish..  so it all personal prefrence so don't take it wrong!!  the fall run we have cought a lot of  4 and 5 pounders in the sag bay area .. this year for walleye that is just a tip there bigger this year then last like  at 13 to 15 inChes last year.. those fish grew,from a pound to pound and and half to around  4 or 5 pounds this year.. thats  the tip .  this year they should carry threw to winter.. chunky fish at 18 to 20 inches.. I think your heading some ware else but they should get the same fish in bay de noc as they do sag bay!! This is cause they follow temp breaks as the lake cools  so keep that in mind!!

Offline eyeflyer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 11, 2018, 07:14 PM »

I see michiganders think alike on the med to med/heavy .. but that does not mean it's the only rod in the country!!  some people in the Midwest might fish a medium light with 6 lb line go figure..  I am just use to michigan and the avarage rods used here.. we like the medium if there's a lot of 16 to 20 inch fish??  those are the better eaters the bigger egg laying fish 20 + inches I usally throw back cause there tough textured meat..  and the other reason  there egg layers the potential of another large fish is better when one large fish is released.. but that does not mean the large fish lay more eggs! It the oppsite the small fish do.. I just find the meat tougher then the smaller fish..  so it all personal prefrence so don't take it wrong!!  the fall run we have cought a lot of  4 and 5 pounders in the sag bay area .. this year for walleye that is just a tip there bigger this year then last like  at 13 to 15 inChes last year.. those fish grew,from a pound to pound and and half to around  4 or 5 pounds this year.. thats  the tip .  this year they should carry threw to winter.. chunky fish at 18 to 20 inches.. I think your heading some ware else but they should get the same fish in bay de noc as they do sag bay!! This is cause they follow temp breaks as the lake cools  so keep that in mind!!

Walleye lay about 30k eggs per lb. so the larger the fish do lay more eggs, but some of the younger females eggs will be more fertile.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.