Author Topic: yamaha or honda  (Read 4773 times)

Offline red_eyes

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FLAGG!!!!!!!
yamaha or honda
« on: Mar 01, 2003, 06:30 AM »
what is better in your  opion, a yamaha beartracker 250 2x4, or a  honda recon 250 2x4.
Pain is temporary, trophies last forever

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
Re: yamaha or honda
« Reply #1 on: Mar 01, 2003, 09:08 AM »
I would choose the Yamaha, due to personal experience with both machines.  Just like Ford vs. Chevy you can't loose, both are great machines.
TEAM ALASKA

Offline bushbunny

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • He who has the gold makes the rules!!!
« Reply #2 on: Mar 01, 2003, 04:01 PM »
What are your using it for?  I have a 1990 Honda 300, that has been used like a rented mule, and still keeps on ticking.  I did have a Yamaha, but it would not be my first choice.  I do have a Yamaha outboard, that I woud not trade for anything!!  Buy what you can get for the best price, and what will have service after your purchase!!

GEEMAN

« Reply #3 on: Mar 02, 2003, 04:56 AM »
I'm a die hard Honda fan and highly recomend them. However , a buddy of mine got a Recon a while back. It runs great and all but it's a fairly small machine ( sizewise ) and aint worth a hoot in snow over 8". At the time I had a 300 TRX 4x4 and had no problem getting around through that 8" snow while my buddy on his Recon spun circles and went no where fast. He regrets settling for the Recon BIG TIME.

If you REALLY want a 2 wheel drive machine I'd look for a larger one in both size and CCs. I think you'll be happier with a 4 x 4 or have the 4 x 4 option.

This can be a real Ford vs Chevy thing so do your homework , ask a lot of questions of guys who own machines your interested in  and buy what you think will suit you best as far as reliability , capabilities etc etc. There are many good machines made by the different companies these days.

Offline red_eyes

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FLAGG!!!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: Mar 02, 2003, 12:10 PM »
i found a 2002 yamaha beartracker 250 2x4 for $2300,with only 25 miles on  it,which i may get.

Big_Mean

« Reply #5 on: Mar 02, 2003, 04:22 PM »
I,HAVE ALWAYS BEEN A HONDA BUYER .THEY HAVE BEEN DOING IT FOR ALONG TIME. SURE TAKE A BEATING TOO.
BUT I FOUND A GUY DOWN ON HIS LUCK, LONG STORIE SHORT
I NOW HAVE A YAMAHA 660 GRIZZLY. SURE IS A BEAST.
WENT AND PRICED THEM,AND I DID WELL. YAMAHA HAS A
400 4X4 THAT IS NICE TOO.A FEW OF MY BUDS HAVE AND
WORK WELL ALSO.JUST MY 2 CENTS BIG-MEAN

Offline red_eyes

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FLAGG!!!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: Mar 05, 2003, 03:08 PM »
anyone know if honda makes a manual atv,rather than an automatic

Offline bushbunny

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • He who has the gold makes the rules!!!
« Reply #7 on: Mar 06, 2003, 02:36 AM »
Are you referring to the electronic shift as automatic?  To the best of my knowledge, the automatic is only available on the 500 Rubicon and new 650 Rincon.  The electronic shift, available on the 350, 400, & 450, is a sweet option; no more rooting around under the mud to find the shifter when you are buried in the muskeg or mud!  Just shift it from the handlebar.   You can also shift it manually with your foot, when you install the foot shift pedal, should you kill the battery from using your winch or from some other electrical failure.

GEEMAN

« Reply #8 on: Mar 06, 2003, 03:50 AM »
Is'nt the Recon a manual shift machine ?

The manual shift option on the push button electric shift Hondas only allows you to select one gear. You can't run through the gears like you could with a true foot shift model. It's a back up to get you back to wherever you need to go if your electric shift or electrical system takes a dump.

I bought a new 450 ES this winter and like it pretty much. BUT , If I had it to do over again I would go with the foot shift model.

Offline asphalt_kid

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Live life hard........ICE FISH
« Reply #9 on: Mar 06, 2003, 05:18 AM »
Go with Kawasaki.

Offline skulldugary

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #10 on: Mar 06, 2003, 06:59 AM »
I'll probably get my but kicked for this one but I've got a 1988 Polaris trail boss 250-2x4 that has got probably well over 4000 miles on it.It has served me well but I think my next machine is going to be a Yamaha 660 4x4 or the 700 Polaris 4x4.Just going with the old saying bigger is better...Just my 2 cents.

Offline Dihardfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • WISCONSIN GOATS!
« Reply #11 on: Mar 06, 2003, 08:19 AM »
I think that 2 wheel drive on 4 wheelers is useless unless you just want to race them.  

tankeryanker

« Reply #12 on: Mar 08, 2003, 11:02 AM »
I have a older 300 4x4 think it is a 1990,use every day on farm with cattle,go hunting,fishing,i wouldnt think of buying anything but a honda,Cant even think of miles or hours on this machine, put 4 sets of tires and 2 bateries,never seen a shop yet.

Offline Jigger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Mar 11, 2003, 03:37 PM »
Have to go with the honda as like everyone else I have a 93 300 4x4 and has started everytime with no break downs.I just bought the rincon and love it,but still have the 300.

fossil

« Reply #14 on: Mar 12, 2003, 08:36 AM »
Red Eyes;They're all built good today. What ever you decide, make sures it do'es what you want it to do.Go to all the dealers. Price out what you can afford,and go from there. I have a 400 4by4 cat , I hunt,fish ride trail and plow snow with it;It,s a great machine. GOOD LUCK                             FOSSIL

Offline PERCH_INC.

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • THROW THE LITTLE ONES BACK
« Reply #15 on: Mar 16, 2003, 02:47 AM »
HONDA'S ARE THE BETTER MACHINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
MONSTER PERCH RULE ! !  

Offline HIMO

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GOATBOYS WISCONSIN CHAPTER 1st Wisconsin goat!!
Re:yamaha or honda
« Reply #16 on: Jul 29, 2003, 07:54 AM »
i agree honda makes a virtually maintenance free product.
It's not how deep you fish, but how you wiggle your worm !!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.