Author Topic: Quinte Ice 2018  (Read 5372 times)

Offline fishO

• IceShanty Rookie
Quinte Ice 2018
« on: Dec 14, 2017, 06:09 PM »
I am hoping for an early start this year. Obviously I need to wait a while yet but the ice is coming!

So as the ice starts to form, if anyone has any info on the Quinte area please post what you know. In particular would like to know about Sherman's Pt., Thompson's Pt.,  Huffs and church.

Post here or PM me.
Any info is much appreciated  ;D

Offline IveGotWorms

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hunting giant eyes
Re: Quinte Ice 2018
« Reply #1 on: Dec 17, 2017, 06:16 PM »
They have been fishing potters for a few days already.  I'm waiting till the new year so I can hit good spots.  Looks like season is gonna start early if the low temps stay.  Shouldn't be too long till the reach is safe to fish. 

Offline Wingthing

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • JustJigIt
« Reply #2 on: Dec 17, 2017, 09:43 PM »
Fresh reports on "Quinte fishing" about Huffs as per the report 3-5" with some fish being caught.

Offline fishO

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 19, 2017, 08:35 PM »
Thanks for the update guys.  I'm in Kingston and cant just check the ice without a nice litte drive.. I also heard similar reports on huffs from a buddy who was out on 18th..3 or 4inch where he was. It was kinda warm today, hopefully the ice didn't get too crappy. I think I will wait a little longer to be sure. Newyears fishing sounds good.

Offline Chuck Enwinde

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 20, 2017, 01:15 AM »
Heard from a buddy out there yesterday.  He said about 4' of good black ice where he was but there was a fair bit of water on top by midday.  No fish for him or the people he talked to.

Offline Chuck Enwinde

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 20, 2017, 08:02 AM »
Just read another report  that said all that watet on top really  ate away at the ice.  Places that had 5+ inches were becoming unsafe.  Best to stay away til things firm up again.

Offline EG3

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 20, 2017, 09:02 PM »
Obviously always check the ice before venturing too far and don't take anyones postings as ice being safe There was quite a few guys at Quinte past wknd ice was pretty decent by Sun (sat night it was -26) Did warm up a bit Tues but I live 30km N of Belleville and its going to be -15 tonight and feel like -21 Tomorrow night theyre calling for it to be -20 again I don't think ice will be a problem I still have lots of snow and the temps dropping dramatically tonight- I would have no problem driving out to Belleville from Kingston and expecting good ice Watch the weather and stay safe !

Offline s10xr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 20, 2017, 10:35 PM »
Any word on ice in big bay.  I live 2 and a half hour away and was thinking of making a shot up on Sunday?

Offline Fry Flier

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 21, 2017, 05:27 PM »
Went to Potter's tonight, first time out for the season. Anyone I talked with found ice from 3"s to 5"s so if you are not certain where you are and how thick is the ice check it while you go. Ice easy to check ice, hard to return from the dark side, cold as a b***h if you are lucky enough to walk back. Caught a few perch and 1 walleye between 5 - 6 pounds.

May your tip-up spool while your flag raises with hopes of landing the big one.

Offline fishO

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 22, 2017, 05:31 PM »
 :-\  All this snow is nice for Christmas but I think will not be good for the ice.  Was planning on trying huffs in a few days, not so sure now.

Offline Wingthing

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • JustJigIt
« Reply #10 on: Dec 23, 2017, 10:48 PM »
It's heavy snow even worse!

Offline fishO

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 27, 2017, 08:01 PM »
Anyone been out since all the snow fell? Just wondering how deep it is out there.

Offline Fry Flier

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Dec 27, 2017, 08:32 PM »
There are enough trails from different locations now that the walk is not bad to some of the different fishing areas. My guess is that if you know of an area and it is not traveled it is not good or at least not thought to be good to a particular area. Do NOT forget this is early ice for us.

Offline fishO

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 27, 2017, 08:59 PM »
There are enough trails from different locations now that the walk is not bad to some of the different fishing areas. My guess is that if you know of an area and it is not traveled it is not good or at least not thought to be good to a particular area. Do NOT forget this is early ice for us.

Thanks Fry Flier, will have the spud for sure.

Offline Fry Flier

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Dec 27, 2017, 10:06 PM »
Thanks Fry Flier, will have the spud for sure.
Where are you thinking for the adventure?

Offline fishO

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Dec 28, 2017, 04:23 PM »
Might try the church,  thinking wont have walk out too far. But huffs is a possibility.  Going tomorrow afternoon.. any suggestions on where to get fish with the shortest walk? And some ice to stand on  ;D

Offline Fry Flier

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Dec 28, 2017, 09:01 PM »
Have not been east of Belleville yet this year, here is a post from someone on the Quinte board that was out today you may wish to consider...
Out at Huff's today. Fish bit all afternoon. 7 hits, lost 4 landed 3. First one at 2:00 last one at 5:00.

The ice is really hit and miss. Where there's no snow 6 to 8 inches. Where's there's snow 2 inches or less.

There were lots of guy's out and because of that, people were assuming it was all safe ice. Stopped two guys heading onto very little ice.

Two whacks and through. Some sleds driving right over it. There was one large wet spot that only had a skim of ice.

You could see where people had gone out, spudded a hole and retreated. Some guy's were just walking past that without realizing the risk and not checking.

Avoid the snow and use a spud if your not sure.

Picked up a bunch of garbage on the ice and road. Food wrappers and coffee cups. Please take your garbage home.

Last edited by Roblin on Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline fishO

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Dec 29, 2017, 04:05 PM »
Was at the church today,  the snow wasn't as deep as I expected but still more than you want to walk in. Ice was about 4 to 5 inches of black with a few inch white layer of crap on top. Spudded out and did find a few sketchy spots where the spud went through in a couple pokes. So watch your step  All I caught was perch..

Good to get out at least.

Offline IveGotWorms

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hunting giant eyes
« Reply #18 on: Dec 30, 2017, 02:41 AM »
I was out off George Street tonight.  Went as far as I could towards the bridge.  Good 5 to 6 inches of ice and the packed trail was a nice help half way.  The ice was really groaning and cracking with the cold.  I only caught two eyes but out of three of us we managed a dozen and nothing over 8.  Seen a few atv's and sleds out there but I would personally wait as there is a lot of pressure cracks opening up as the bay makes ice.  Stay safe out there.

Offline fishO

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 06, 2018, 01:16 PM »
Huffs tommorow!  ;D ;D

Offline kamaro

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 13, 2018, 09:20 AM »
looking to go up to quinte next weekend... going up to the hay bay boat launch and was wondering if there is any ice reports from some locals who would be willing to share.... I know since Thursday and Fridays thaw it might be unsafe but any help would be appreciated
My Wife
"Its like He has ADD and can't sit still for 1 min but he can look down a hole in the ice for HOURS"

Offline kamaro

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Jan 20, 2018, 09:50 AM »
Went to desoranto boat launch walked out checking as we went got over 25 ft of water drilled 8 holes average was 5 to 8 inches of ice ..... buddy who was with me stepped 3 feet from our last hole and went through with one foot to his middle he got into dry cloths and was fine but seen someone else go through the same way .... lots of pockets so check with your spud
My Wife
"Its like He has ADD and can't sit still for 1 min but he can look down a hole in the ice for HOURS"

Offline Chuck Enwinde

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 22, 2018, 03:38 AM »
Heard a few people went for a dip around Desronto this weekend, apparently everyone got out ok.  Also heard someone got 18.5lb walleye a little up the bay from there.  Likely an ice record.

Offline kamaro

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Jan 22, 2018, 02:48 PM »
the boys and I ended up getting a pile of perch. we ended up at shermans ... I left at 430 they stayed till 6 and got three
My Wife

Offline fishO

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Jan 23, 2018, 08:44 PM »
Heard a few people went for a dip around Desronto this weekend, apparently everyone got out ok.  Also heard someone got 18.5lb walleye a little up the bay from there.  Likely an ice record.

I saw a pic of the 18lber on another forum.. That's a big fish!

Kingston K

« Reply #25 on: Jan 31, 2018, 01:28 PM »
Some friends and I are coming to Quinte for the weekend later in Feb, is the ice thick enough to drive on right now?

Offline Wingthing

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • JustJigIt
« Reply #26 on: Jan 31, 2018, 04:22 PM »
Some friends and I are coming to Quinte for the weekend later in Feb, is the ice thick enough to drive on right now?
To drive what on? Big area where you talking about?

Kingston K

« Reply #27 on: Feb 01, 2018, 09:27 AM »
Sorry, I drive a Tacoma. Around the entrance to Hay Bay....Shermans, Thompson etc.

Offline Wingthing

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • JustJigIt
« Reply #28 on: Feb 01, 2018, 01:15 PM »
I wouldn't drive my truck out there that's for sure. Been some mild days. If you do please stay away from other fisherman.

Offline Chuck Enwinde

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Feb 02, 2018, 02:09 AM »
Sorry, I drive a Tacoma. Around the entrance to Hay Bay....Shermans, Thompson etc.

Maybe if you can follow an F150 out.  I've already seen a few half sunk tacos this year and they're hard to look at.  Don't think I'd take mine anywhere on the Reach.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.