The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: first ice, best guess  (Read 6375 times)

Offline minnook

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: first ice, best guess
« Reply #30 on: Nov 07, 2017, 12:37 PM »
i been good all year .. hopefully santa will deliver by christmas

Offline Bob S

• Iceshanty Militia
  • IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #31 on: Nov 07, 2017, 08:15 PM »
Dec 29  that's all I want for my Birthday

Offline Jordeli

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Nov 07, 2017, 08:43 PM »
I hope there is good ice on Dec. 26th, only time I can ice fish with my sons, and grandsons.

Offline ducksnbucks36

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #33 on: Nov 08, 2017, 11:50 PM »
At this point I’m not guessing a first ice Im just hoping we get ice.  Planning on getting quite a bit of new goodies for this year (ice permitting) and I started it off with a new truck. I’ll at least be able to make it incognito for a year truck wise. 

Offline spudbar sam

• IceShanty Rookie
  • I walk on water
« Reply #34 on: Nov 15, 2017, 05:29 PM »
January 20
I fished, therefore, I was.

CowDawg

« Reply #35 on: Nov 15, 2017, 06:15 PM »
Well, the toilet bowl and tank in my hunting cabin was froze solid today... Does that count????  It's out in Wayne Co.  ;D

Offline nindo24

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Nov 15, 2017, 07:17 PM »
I bagged my first ever archery buck on 11/4, nine point at that. I've been eye-balling ice fishing shelters since 11/5. My cousin just bought land over here in Northumberland county with a small pond on it. It's had a skim of ice on it since the last day of archery. So hopefully we'll be doing some fishing here soon, say by mid-December.
Keep Your Stick On The Ice!

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #37 on: Nov 15, 2017, 08:53 PM »
Well, the toilet bowl and tank in my hunting cabin was froze solid today... Does that count????  It's out in Wayne Co.  ;D

I wouldn't want to fish in there.   ;D  On a serious note, good thing nothing broke when it froze.

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Nov 16, 2017, 11:49 AM »

I was gonna say "only if you plan to fish it", but Chris beat me to it!  :)
Where's the FISH?!

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Nov 16, 2017, 11:55 AM »
I bagged my first ever archery buck on 11/4, nine point at that. I've been eye-balling ice fishing shelters since 11/5. My cousin just bought land over here in Northumberland county with a small pond on it. It's had a skim of ice on it since the last day of archery. So hopefully we'll be doing some fishing here soon, say by mid-December.

Congrats on your first bow-buck!  @)  You'll always remember that one!  Forecast is looking good for mid-Dec ice-fishing!(at least up here in the Poconos)
Where's the FISH?!

Chute82

« Reply #40 on: Nov 17, 2017, 06:21 AM »

Heard rumors of giant brown trout in that bowl...but the owner posts his property and don’t let anyone fish

Offline wiredstone

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Nov 18, 2017, 06:16 PM »
Dec 16th would a great birthday present for me
MAY YOUR FLAGS FLY HIGH & YOUR LINES BE TIGHT.

Offline crappie-tom

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #42 on: Nov 19, 2017, 08:31 AM »
12/26 probably.  ;D   I miss ice fishin.

Offline Flyboyroy35

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #43 on: Nov 19, 2017, 06:31 PM »
Central park.  I'm gonna guess 2nd Sat in January

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Nov 20, 2017, 06:21 AM »
snow and ice this morning! I don't think I'll be walking on ice for the thanksgiving weekend but wont be long before we'll be drilling holes.  :tipup:

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Where's the FISH?!

Chute82

« Reply #46 on: Nov 20, 2017, 09:36 AM »
End of deer rifle season I was on the ice last year.. then by x-mas it was all gone...

Offline Kov619

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #47 on: Nov 20, 2017, 06:43 PM »
Chute82.  How much ice were you on last year in ins....
Bad ice is bad for your health....walk with care....

Chute82

« Reply #48 on: Nov 21, 2017, 06:11 AM »
Chute82.  How much ice were you on last year in ins....

I was on a private lake and had 4”. It’s surrounded by big hills so doesn’t get wind and sun beating on it so freezes fast.  I only walked out about 100 yards and was alone so didn’t adventure to much.  Just spud a hole and fished for a few hrs.  Canada last year was also a bad year.  I could punch my spun bar through most of the ice.  Airboats were being used and the locals pulling their perm huts fast.

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #49 on: Nov 21, 2017, 09:31 AM »
If I had to guess I'd say a couple intrepid guys will be fishing by Dec. 7 at elevation. That said I'm not going out on 2-2.5" of ice myself. ;) probably mid to late Dec. for the fortunate. Some of us have to convince our wives to let us go in the pre-Christmas madness that is sure to come. ::)

Offline Kov619

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #50 on: Nov 21, 2017, 10:59 AM »
The ice for me has to be 4 or more.....I would not fish on 31/2  last year  os I fished open water in Eire  last year in February....and did  very well......
Bad ice is bad for your health....walk with care....

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #51 on: Nov 21, 2017, 01:45 PM »
Some of us have to convince our wives to let us go in the pre-Christmas madness that is sure to come. ::)

My wife learned a long time ago that it is much cheaper to let me go ice-fishing while she(alone) does the pre-Christmas thing! And I usually remind her every year!  ;)
Where's the FISH?!

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #52 on: Nov 21, 2017, 04:16 PM »
That's a good idea.  If she makes you go just put a few expensive things in the cart and if you hunt take her to the gun counter and tell her you want to get a new gun, just make sure the price is over $1,000.   ;D

Offline NEZ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Good fishing and safe ice
« Reply #53 on: Nov 21, 2017, 08:37 PM »
I was up by Penfield last Monday and at the boyscout camp pond was frozen.  It had one inch of ice one it and was nice an clear.  It's coming.  I say I will be on Black Moshanon on 12/27 on 4 inches of ice.  Pray for cold nights and NO FREAKING WIND.  That killed us last year.  Nez

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #54 on: Nov 22, 2017, 11:31 AM »
That's a good idea.  If she makes you go just put a few expensive things in the cart and if you hunt take her to the gun counter and tell her you want to get a new gun, just make sure the price is over $1,000.   ;D

That's the idea Chris!  ;)

I found the new Striker Ice Predator Jacket online 20% off at Dick's(thanks to a tip I saw here) and she didn't even balk when I told her how much. Got the matching Hoodie and trapper hat online at Cabela's too!(Dick's didn't have them) She didn't even mention that when she saw it on our bank statement. Guess she knows it's cheaper for me to get the specific stuff online than to have me wandering around in the stores like a kid in a candy store!   ;D
Where's the FISH?!

Offline Peccavi18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #55 on: Nov 23, 2017, 08:21 AM »
The shopping trick is funny cuz it's true, I do it all the time when she forces me to go grocery shopping (we end up eatting steaks or junk food she refuses to buy on her own) or anywhere I don't want to. Don't get me wrong I don't mind shopping I just don't like to do couples shopping, I'll gladly get stuff if we need it but its in and out for me. Amazon on my phone does 90% of any present shopping.

Offline supervdl

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #56 on: Nov 28, 2017, 06:53 AM »
Now looks like mid-December at the earliest.

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #57 on: Nov 28, 2017, 11:38 AM »
Yep- if all goes well, I will be on the ice the morning of the 15th!  ;)  I have to pick up my son from college in the afternoon, so was already thinking about taking the day off. Looking at the forecast, this just may work out! (unless they keep pushing the cooldown back further............... ..  ::))
Where's the FISH?!

Offline chez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #58 on: Nov 30, 2017, 06:46 AM »

Good For Brownies Bro....
The bowl is provably  allready thumbed with corn

Offline wiredstone

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #59 on: Dec 01, 2017, 08:00 PM »
I will be checking early lakes next weekend. They were locked up last Friday. Water temp is ready :icefish:
MAY YOUR FLAGS FLY HIGH & YOUR LINES BE TIGHT.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.