The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Needing ideas for drill adapter for a folding style deluxe handle mora auger???  (Read 4120 times)

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Wishin I was Fishin><{}:>
Trying to find something to hook my drill up to an older folding style mora auger. The adapters available on the web are to big and designed for the newer model augers. Well at least newer than the one I got. Mines from the 80's and has the deluxe folding handle that stays attached. The top of the auger piece has a tapered end has an ID of approx. 7/16's. I still need to measure the OD just in case there is an idea for something on the outside which I am looking into now. Thinking maybe a drill adapter for camper/trailer jacks similiar to this

Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
Ok no more ideas I think I got it. Lol trailer jack drill adapter worked like a charm. No alteration to the auger itself just the adapter. Drilled out adapter to 11/16 and tapped it on. Drilled bolt hole previously measured. I also ground and filed the end to fit better in the chuck. Good to go for ice. Well see how this old mora works on a drill

Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
After thoughts:     Flotation in the event the chuck loosens it's grip ?

A disc, larger than the auger hole, to prevent that final plunge ?

Good luck.

Tom

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
For sure gator, that's next on the list. Getting it adapted to a drill was the first part, without cutting/welding/drilling the actual auger. Wanted to keep it in original condition just in case I decide to sell it later. Not many of these around in this condition, that I could find atleast here
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Can you source another handle?? I know the offset handle mora's are or what look like what you got there??   They sell a threaded mora adaptor for mora augers with threaded handles...  cut the handle short and bore the adaptor so it will fit the cut off mora handle??  or the shaft like we're the wing nut goes except you remove that yoke and wing nUT and lock on to auger main shaft like above..  and use an  adaptor for a drill.. like a nim rod adaptor.. this is basically a tight fitting stright tubing.. that sleeves the nim rod adaptor and the auger..

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
Yes this auger does have an off-set handle, I will try that chilly if this set-up gives me any issues. I can probably get any handle that matches up in OD and chop it short. This is the package I picked up off of a local classified. 10" New never used, shipped in 1989 to Hermans sporting goods here local with an original price tag of $54.99. Someone stored this thing for almost 30yrs without using it. I fully expected to find a beat up one with dull blades that I would have to get sharpened because they are no longer available, but these things a sharp as hell. Since I went to electric a couple years ago I've had my eye out for one of these to use when I'm fishing lakers at Flaming gorge res. where a fish can exceed 50" and the ice rarely gets over 15". Drilling it with my new milwaukee 2704 should be ok. If not I dont think I'll have a problem selling it

Fits good on my rack if I take out both, which I'm sure I will the first few trips

Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Yes this auger does have an off-set handle, I will try that chilly if this set-up gives me any issues. I can probably get any handle that matches up in OD and chop it short. This is the package I picked up off of a local classified. 10" New never used, shipped in 1989 to Hermans sporting goods here local with an original price tag of $54.99. Someone stored this thing for almost 30yrs without using it. I fully expected to find a beat up one with dull blades that I would have to get sharpened because they are no longer available, but these things a sharp as hell. Since I went to electric a couple years ago I've had my eye out for one of these to use when I'm fishing lakers at Flaming gorge res. where a fish can exceed 50" and the ice rarely gets of 15". Drilling it with my new milwaukee 2704 should be ok. If not I dont think I'll have a problem selling it

Fits good on my rack if I take out both, which I'm sure I will the first few trips

Got a 8 inch and a 6 inch same auger my self.. those handles save you when the drill dies any how I did not know they made a 10 inch in that auger I know you will get your money back from it cause argonomistIA  has been searching for a 10 inch for a while i kniw others are to.. but hopefully it works our for you..

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
The 10in is a tough one to find and I've seen theres a few shanty folk looking for them. They pop up on the local classified every once in awhile here but are usually a ways from my house and/or are in terrible condition. So I couldn't pass on this one and it was 30mins each way to get it. Along with the condition, way worth it. Don't think I'll have to worry about the drill dying as I have 2- 5ah & 1- 9ah batteries. Plenty of power to drill holes all weekend
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
The 10in is a tough one to find and I've seen theres a few shanty folk looking for them. They pop up on the local classified every once in awhile here but are usually a ways from my house and/or are in terrible condition. So I couldn't pass on this one and it was 30mins each way to get it. Along with the condition, way worth it. Don't think I'll have to worry about the drill dying as I have 2- 5ah & 1- 9ah batteries. Plenty of power to drill holes all weekend

You don't want that 10in do you?.......I'll take it off your hands.

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
You'll be the 1st one I notify if I decide to let her go. I'm going to give it a try this season on the place I fish lakers and see how it goes. I've still got my eyes out here for another. If I see one to far out for me to travel I'll get you the number and see what you can work out for sure Agronomist
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
You'll be the 1st one I notify if I decide to let her go. I'm going to give it a try this season on the place I fish lakers and see how it goes. I've still got my eyes out here for another. If I see one to far out for me to travel I'll get you the number and see what you can work out for sure Agronomist

Thanks

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline the force

• Team IceShanty Regular
Musky, what was the ID on that adapter? I'm in the same boat as you with the folding handle. I've found a few trailer jack adapters though they all say they are for a 1/2 shaft which makes me think there will be nothing left if I was to drill out to 11/16? Do you temper the brand?
My second thought was to find a 3/4 (or 11/16 of possible) ID piece of pipe to use as a sleeve, then run the regular size adapter which should fit inside it.

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
I drilled it out with an 11/16 drill bit and had to tilt it left, right, up & down a bit to open it up so it would fit. It appears to have enough material left when I tapped it on. I will find out in a couple weeks when I do some drilling with it.  I didn't temper it. If it doesn't hold up I will probably go the way your thinking on the 2nd thought
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
Ok so update on the trailer jack adapter. No Bueno! To much play in the shaft. Had the auger dancing the waltz but did manage 2 holes and called it quits. Back to the drawing board with option 2 which should have been option 1. Purchased a drill adapter and had it turned down by a machinist buddy to the correct OD. Fits like a glove. I'll report back how it works on the next outing. Did build a good stop plate out of plexiglass that seems to be holding out for the 2 holes I drilled. Oh and the milwaukee had no Prob turning it

Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline dekatronic

• Team IceShanty Regular
Looks very good. With the auger being so short I bet you're drilling on your knees. Do you have any plans to build an extension?

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
No extension needed for this one. Only really plan on using it at 2 places I fish lakers. Ice rarely gets over 20in. Normally 12-15in. I got the 28in extension for my 8in nils. That should have anywhere else I go covered

Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline jerryfishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
Muskyon- which adapter did you purchase? I have acquired a ten inch hand auger and need to make same modifications.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
Ok so update on the trailer jack adapter. No Bueno! To much play in the shaft. Had the auger dancing the waltz but did manage 2 holes and called it quits. Back to the drawing board with option 2 which should have been option 1. Purchased a drill adapter and had it turned down by a machinist buddy to the correct OD. Fits like a glove. I'll report back how it works on the next outing. Did build a good stop plate out of plexiglass that seems to be holding out for the 2 holes I drilled. Oh and the milwaukee had no Prob turning it

Like it!

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac

I really like the adaptor!!  now you got my hamster running and the cogs turning..

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
Muskyon- which adapter did you purchase? I have acquired a ten inch hand auger and need to make same modifications.

It was the cheapest one on amazon prime. Aircraft grade aluminum. Had to turn it down to .45 to fit in that small shaft section. $12.95 delivered

Like it!

Thanks AIA

I really like the adaptor!!  now you got my hamster running and the cogs turning..

So far by looks the only issue I see was after turning it down it didn't leave much meat left where the bolt goes thru. If it fails I have no doubt that will be where. My buddy took good measurements of it and is going to make me one out of steel if that happens
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
It was the cheapest one on amazon prime. Aircraft grade aluminum. Had to turn it down to .45 to fit in that small shaft section. $12.95 delivered

Thanks AIA

So far by looks the only issue I see was after turning it down it didn't leave much meat left where the bolt goes thru. If it fails I have no doubt that will be where. My buddy took good measurements of it and is going to make me one out of steel if that happens

I was thinking maybe you could find a deep well impact that would fit over the shaft......and drill for the bolt to go through it.....then weld a drill stem/extention pipe with a drill stem....on top of the socket.......just a thought....Having a perfect fit custom made one would be the way to go IMO.

Offline the force

• Team IceShanty Regular
I just bought the regular Eskimo or normark adapter and used it in place of the handle in the folding bracket. H
Had to drill the bolt hole slightly larger and notch the bottom to fit the pivot tightening bolt. Works perfect, will have to post a better pic another day.

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
Great idea TF, You like how it drills? Not to much wobble?
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline the force

• Team IceShanty Regular
Works awesome. Only problem is the fitting for the extra handle on the Milwaukee broke off. 

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
Mine did the exact thing yours did. Could have been operator error on my part though. I checked it really good on the 2nd hole and it held just fine. I'll know more the next time I take it out
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.