The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Flat of Curved Auger Blades?  (Read 1587 times)

Offline Wheres Walleye

• Team IceShanty Regular
Flat of Curved Auger Blades?
« on: Dec 23, 2017, 08:45 PM »
I’ve been using a cordless drill set up with a 6” mora auger and Swedish blades for quite a few years. This year I am looking to buy a new 7” or 8” auger and have a couple questions on the blade types that I haven’t been able to answer searching through the auger threads.

Is there a difference in performance between the flat and curved shaver blades and is one type better than the other with a cordless drill set up? thanks

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Flat of Curved Auger Blades?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 24, 2017, 05:12 AM »
Yes the curved bladed are faster cutting and I think easier in pressure then the flat blades on the drill so you get more battery life out of the drill with curved blades but if you just go and buy a 7 or 8 inch laser they have what's know as ice breaking bars on it wich jam up at the bottom of hole.. if the auger jams up it could wreck the gear box in the drill..

now if looking at moras and converting blades on the mora??  you cant  convert the 8 inch?  cause they don't make a blade adaptor to laser blades for the 8 inch mora auger.. so that leaves a 7 inch mora cause of that for me...  cause I drill by hand too..  but that drill will push a 8 inch mora no problem same with a 7 inch mora... And the mora's design won't jam up at bottom of hole like the laser will that's why others like mora over laser..

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Dec 24, 2017, 05:32 AM »
I have the 6" Eskimo Silvertip (Curved Blades). It cut really good but it catches at the bottom of the hole as well. If I guess right I let up totally on any downward pressure and it goes threw somewhat easier at the bottom. So either the Laser or any other curved blade just remember to let up towards the bottom.
<===Lefty===

Offline Wheres Walleye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 24, 2017, 09:28 PM »
Thanks for the help and Merry Christmas, Chilly and Lefty

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 24, 2017, 09:38 PM »
Merry Christmas to you to..

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum