Author Topic: Which Ice Shack?  (Read 1334 times)

Offline Hawkeye97

• IceShanty Rookie
Which Ice Shack?
« on: Oct 03, 2017, 06:01 PM »
I currently have a two man Shappell ice shack. I'm looking to get a bigger shack so I have more room, however I want to still be able to move easily when I one man it. What shack is the best for a one man show? However, I want to still have room if someone else were to come with me. I don't know much about the flip style huts and wondering if that's the route to go. Any advice would be appreciated.

Offline 32footsteps

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Which Ice Shack?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 03, 2017, 09:24 PM »
It would depend on what you are fishing for and how big you are. My brother in law is 6'5" and fishes for browns in the Milwaukee harbor almost exclusively. He had a one man Frabill Commando. Nice little one man but for him he didn't have the room in it he needed to feel comfortable fishing for the stuff he was targeting. He gave that one to my 5'7" brother who uses it for panfish and there's more than enough room for him doing what he does.

I'm looking for a flip type right now as well. I'm very hesitant to get a one man flip over because I like to have elbow room and run multiple rods. If I did get one that is sold as a true "one man" flip over I'd probably go with a Shappell FX100.  Bottom flares out, it's very light, and the price is reasonable. Since I also like to run tip-ups sight lines are important so this has me considering an Evo. The best thing to do is sit in all sorts of styles and brands, zip them up, and move around in them to get a "feel" for what you are dealing with. Only you know how you like to fish and what you bring along with you on the ice. When you sit in these things you'll know if it will work or not and which ones will work better for you. 

Offline profisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Oct 03, 2017, 10:02 PM »
This is my dilemma as well. I dont have a shanty right now, but when I buy one i want to do it right. Parts of me wants to buy a 2 man flip over Frabill, but i could get a 3 man Eskimo pop up way cheaper and have way more room.

The flip over seems more convenient, but the pop up seems more spacey.

Offline Hawkeye97

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Oct 03, 2017, 10:10 PM »
I'm 6 foot so I think I could make a one man work, however, I would rather have room for tips ups and such like you mentioned. I'm worried I'll get a two man flip and not be able to pull it around manual on the ice and snow. Any advice on weight? I'm twenty years old so I don't think the weight would hurt, but I don't want to spend a bunch of money to regret it. I've done some looking and a single man shack is around 60 lbs, whereas a good two man is 111 lbs.  Does anyone else manually pull a two man shack on the ice? Thanks

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #4 on: Oct 03, 2017, 10:49 PM »
shappell fx200 is 72 pounds. they have it in an insulated version, but not on their web site and weighs only 4 pounds more.has a padded and carpeted bench seat to reduce weight. add a bleacher seat if you want a back rest.
great hy-fax kits and i highly recommend them for noise, ease of pulling in certain conditions like slush and saves the tub.

any time we get over 6 inches of snow we break out the smitty skies.

Offline JaminWI

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Oct 04, 2017, 11:32 AM »
I'm eyeballing this one if I decide to add a flip this season.  2 man for when you need it.  Seats are removable so you can reduce weight when you're alone.  Thermal and non thermal models.  Thermal model weighs in at 82lbs. 
http://www.geteskimo.com/sierra-thermal-sled-shelter

Offline Hawkeye97

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Oct 04, 2017, 11:39 AM »
JaminWI,
I'll have to find one in stores and see if I like it.
Thanks!

Offline JaminWI

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Oct 04, 2017, 11:45 AM »
If you do, come back and share your thoughts.  I'm hoping the Cabelas near me brings one in this year so I can check it out.  SG has them on sale already for $360 but I'm hesitant to order without seeing one first. 

Offline Hawkeye97

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Oct 04, 2017, 11:46 AM »
Will do

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.