Author Topic: fluorocarbon line?  (Read 5557 times)

Offline sphynx_000

• IceShanty Rookie
fluorocarbon line?
« on: Feb 04, 2006, 04:35 PM »
I know nothing about it?

does anyone use it for ice fishing?
purpose?
application?
drawbacks?
stretch?
abrasion resistant?
coated or 100%?

Offline coboy

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: fluorocarbon line?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 04, 2006, 06:47 PM »
I've been using Berkley Vanish and P-line floroclear this season and will try Eagle Claw Lazer Ice tomorrow.I think the Vanish is 100% fluorocarbon and the
Floroclear is coated.In clear water I'll get more bites on Vanish because it shows up less in bright light.The P-line is stronger and more manageable in cold
weather and ice fishing.Vanish tends to get a lot of line twist after a fish is caught while P-line has little ill effects.Depending on how often and how many fish
you,I find that I need to change the line a few times in a season.Both lines seem to get coarser and thicker through repeated use.

Offline sphynx_000

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 04, 2006, 07:27 PM »
sounds like it wears quite a bit faster than mono than?

Offline Hood

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 04, 2006, 07:34 PM »
I have been toyin with the various floros and have learned that the vanish lacks knot strength if you dont wet it well...asdie from that its great stuff. Also I like the Stren floro, no complaints at all with that stuff, I think its a bit stiffer and holds up better in the cold than the vanish.

Offline coboy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 04, 2006, 07:47 PM »
I can't really compare mono with fluorocarbon as I don't use mono ice fishing.I tried it once,(Stren),but in side to side comparisons I didn't get any hits on it.I
don't know how mono holds up to 15+" of ice and cutting grooves in the bottom of the hole as you fight a fish or sub zero temps.Best bet is to try a few dif-
ferent lines and see what works best.There is a post about line under jigging that may be of use.

Offline sphynx_000

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 04, 2006, 09:40 PM »
florocarbon is more abrasian resistant than mono then?

Offline coboy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 05, 2006, 12:00 AM »
I personally don't know through experience which of the two is more abrasion resistant.From reading the ads for floruocarbon line,it always states abrasion
quality.For me the main reason I use it is for low visibility.I live in Colorado and where I ice fish the most often, the water is quite clear.Unlike other areas in the country even through winter we don't get a lot of cloudy days.
With 15" of ice and no snow cover,I can see a 1/2" chartreuse jig in 15-20 fow looking down the hole.Also I can follow the line all the way down to the jig.On clear days Vanish doesn't show up as much as P-line,and I'll get at least 3 to 1 more hits with it.If I can see it,I'm sure the fish can too.Right now there is an inch of snow on the reservoir and I get the same results with either line.Because of where I live I target mostly trout.I use 4#test.Most of the guys I talk to
use 6#, a lot of them use mono.Conservatively speaking I catch 3 to 4 times as many fish than 75% of the fisherman I talk to.Obviously a lot of that has to do
with other factors.I think line is a big factor under the conditions I've been fishing in but probably not as big a factor in murkier water.For me using a flasher and seeing how fish respond has been the main reason why I use floruocarbon.

bigdave1018

« Reply #7 on: Feb 05, 2006, 04:45 AM »
i use mr crappie 4 # test gold for my main line then tie a leader of 2# or 4# mr crappie camo line on a dropshot. it decent line the price is right and it works for me. the price you ask? i got all 4 spools from the bps catalog[ 3100 yds per spool] shipped to me for 20$. 4 $ per spool and 4$ s+h. tight lines and yes i like saving money. the gold main line acts just like a bobber and i use it year round panfishing and even bassin.

Offline Hood

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Feb 05, 2006, 06:56 AM »
the gold main line acts just like a bobber and i use it year round panfishing and even bassin.

Sounds interesting...the bobber thing, can you explain what your referring to? Thanks ;)

Offline tommy-n

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Feb 06, 2006, 02:44 PM »
flourocarbon is more abrasion resistant than mono, it also sinks faster and totally disapears in the water. I have used the p-line, berkley vanish and Seaguar carbon pro, the seaguar is far and away the best. I also use the gold stren 2lb on my ice reels and a 2lb 30'' floro leader tied to that.

Offline mcully

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Feb 08, 2006, 08:55 AM »
I use vanish or p-line on everything from baitcasters to spinning to ice rods. It is important that you pay attention when spooling it that you are putting it on correctly. I believe the boxes all have directions on what to look for. The only other line I have on one spinning reel and one flipping stick is fire line. All of the above are more sensitive than mono and better on abrasion. Braid is great in the weeds and deep dragging a walleye jig. i use these as main lines as leaders are just one more set of knots to possibly fail. Just an opinion. And with ice rods and open water rods I've got 15 or more to fill. Oh yeah not as likely to break down under UV either.

Offline sphynx_000

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 08, 2006, 06:19 PM »
And with ice rods and open water rods I've got 15 or more to fill.

what exactly do you mean by that?

And thanks for the info everyone. I just picked up some p-line floroclear and will be checking it out this weekend.

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If you won't fight for freedom, your not American!
« Reply #12 on: Feb 08, 2006, 07:26 PM »
The Seagar fluoro is the best for use as a main line. Berkeley vanish is very brittle and really lacks strength. I think Vanish is crap.
Sometimes I use stren original and just tie on a fluoro leader with double uni knots. P - Line fluorocarbon leader and Stren high Impact fluorocarbon leader are the best leaders. Vanish blows.
Politically incorrect, and proud of it.

Offline mcully

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Feb 09, 2006, 11:19 AM »
It means I have 15 reels to put line on. And vanish doesn't blow it sinks.

Offline METIPPIN

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got Ice?
« Reply #14 on: Feb 09, 2006, 12:03 PM »
I never have had a problem with vanish. I run three feet off the main line attach a swivel and 2 feet of fireline attached to a hook. I have used a number of different knots and found the uniknot well lubricated when tying works well havent had any biteoffs. I change the leaders every 3 weeks or so.

crowkiller

« Reply #15 on: Feb 24, 2006, 11:41 AM »
i use vanish, to help prevent line twist i soak in very warm water then strait to the freezer it helps to change memory to your spool, it works for me i get less line twist

Offline jrelaxin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • justrelaxin
« Reply #16 on: Feb 26, 2006, 03:44 AM »
swapped over to floro 3 weeks ago and still waiting for a flag.................. .. >:(
Donuts !!!!!       

Dave

Offline GAMBELL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 41" PIKE 2005!
« Reply #17 on: Feb 26, 2006, 07:24 PM »
The Seagar Floro is the best for use as a main line. Berkeley vanish is very brittle and really lacks strength. I think Vanish is crap.
Sometimes I use stren original and just tie on a Floro leader with double uni knots. P - Line fluorocarbon leader and Stren high Impact fluorocarbon leader are the best leaders. Vanish blows.

I agree about Seagar being the best.  I have tried P-line,Vanish and Stren and they do not even come close to Seagar.  Seagar is the most abrasion resistant.  Like I stated in another thread, Seagar is the only florocarbon to stand up to Lake Ontario 30+ lb. king salmon.  I run 15 lb. leader for kings all summer.  I have not had a break off in 2 years with Seagar.

Offline Sax_

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 26, 2006, 07:34 PM »
I use P-line Fluroclear on open water and and through the Ice its the same as the FluroIce (as Slipbob pointed out for me ) I use it as a main line and a leader this stuff is amazing give it a try  :thumbsup:
Sax

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.