Author Topic: best ice spud (chisel)?  (Read 3309 times)

Offline Iceman Cometh

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Walker
best ice spud (chisel)?
« on: Oct 17, 2016, 11:26 PM »
I was wondering which is the best ice spud? I won't be chipping any ice, just using it to whack the ice to check the safety of it. I want one that is lightweight, very strong ( I whack pretty hard, no pun intended), and long (perhaps collapsible).
"If the doors of perception were cleansed everything would appear to man as it is, Infinite." --- William Blake

"There are things known and things unknown...in between are THE DOORS." --- Jim Morrison

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: best ice spud (chisel)?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 18, 2016, 12:05 AM »
I got the Eskimo Redneck one piece chisel last year for the same use you mentioned and I like it a lot.  There's other chisels that cost more but in my opinion and experience you can't beat this chisel especially since it was only $20 at Walmart.  The one thing I did is I made a lanyard out of a pair of shoelaces so if it breaks through the ice there's no chance of loosing it.  When you make the lanyard just make sure it's a little (three or four inches) longer so it doesn't pull or cut into your wrist when you're using it.  Here's a link to it on Eskimo's website.

http://www.geteskimo.com/economy-chisel

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Oct 18, 2016, 02:53 AM »
Frabill makes a 53" Standard step chisel 5.5 lbs. for around $20 ...like stated add a lanyard and good to go.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Oct 18, 2016, 05:21 AM »
redneck or frabil both cheap and won't wear your arm out , or you could make one , just try the search button

Offline Iceman Cometh

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Walker
« Reply #4 on: Oct 18, 2016, 08:19 PM »
thanks guys. I'll check out the Eskimo, redneck or frabil. I had one that looked like a piece of "re bar" I bought at farm king years ago, but the damn thing is heavy and awkward. My step son broke it digging in the yard, lol.
"If the doors of perception were cleansed everything would appear to man as it is, Infinite." --- William Blake

"There are things known and things unknown...in between are THE DOORS." --- Jim Morrison

Offline bldfrt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Oct 18, 2016, 08:47 PM »
I have the frabill one with the step chisel. I wanted it for the same reason last year but due in part to thin ice it was easy enough that I stopped bringing an auger. that stepped edge worked pretty nice compared to my buddies who's has a flat edge. I'm confident I'll use an auger again in the future under more normal ice conditions but for thin ice it did the thing

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Oct 19, 2016, 09:30 PM »
The stepped edge is the way to go if you're going to use it to make new holes but for checking the ice and reopening frozen holes you can get away with the flat blade and save yourself some money.

Offline Baetis62

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Oct 19, 2016, 11:07 PM »
thanks guys. I'll check out the Eskimo, redneck or frabil. I had one that looked like a piece of "re bar" I bought at farm king years ago, but the damn thing is heavy and awkward. My step son broke it digging in the yard, lol.

If your step son can break #6 or better just digging around in the yard call the Bears and get him signed up tomorrow morning.  They might still stand a chance tomorrow night...tight lines!

Offline crappieslayer37

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Oct 20, 2016, 03:59 PM »
Frabill makes a 53" Standard step chisel 5.5 lbs. for around $20 ...like stated add a lanyard and good to go.
x2 on the frabill have had mine for three years and it has kept me topside on at least that many occasions. Woukdnt part with mine as it is one of the tools I never forget as it is one of the most important.

Offline huntsfurfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Oct 20, 2016, 06:35 PM »
What's with all the talk of "SPUDS" ?

Did you not read what he said about not chipping any ice ?  :unsure:

Probably because of his first sentence asking which one was best?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.