Author Topic: Spuds???????  (Read 5515 times)

Offline J_MAKI

• Team IceShanty Regular
Spuds???????
« on: Jan 24, 2006, 04:51 PM »
What is the best (fastest) spud or chisel you have used?

Thanks
Jeremy

Offline Coastie

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Spuds???????
« Reply #1 on: Jan 24, 2006, 04:54 PM »
The one I have in my shed? ;D

Offline Desperado

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • . . . . . . Happy Trails . . . .. Des .. IBOT #328
« Reply #2 on: Jan 24, 2006, 04:55 PM »
The fastest is the Jiffy Mille Lacs chisel

The best chisel is one that somebody else is swinging
Have YOU Clamped YET ?

Offline IcePirate

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 24, 2006, 05:02 PM »
 :D Yeah What Desparado said, Lol!!! spuds are  only good for thin ice , you you to much energy to achieve a hole that can be achieved with minimal effort with an auger. But if it's all you got make sure it has some weight to it a strap and most importantly a sharp chiesel edge . 8)
C'mon fishy's , C'mon - South Shore Diehard since 66' - Vexilar , Clam corp., Ski-doo

Offline J_MAKI

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 24, 2006, 06:42 PM »
The fastest is the Jiffy Mille Lacs chisel

The best chisel is one that somebody else is swinging
How did I know someone would say that.  :)

Jeremy

Offline dewyg

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Fishing Partners
« Reply #5 on: Jan 24, 2006, 07:02 PM »
I made one with a stiff hollow handle and filled the handle with about 2 pounds of loose shot, when you are making a hole the added thump of the shot really cuts the ice.
Set the hook and keep your line tight!

Offline THE Spud

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 24, 2006, 07:11 PM »
 I'll second that Jiffy Mille  lacs had original for 25yrs till by friend did not put the rope around his hand . The new models are even better and cost about 35$. A must for checking "new ice thickness" and using a spud warms you up and is very good exersize would not leave home without it THE Spud
Join us on the 2013 Vermont Sportsmen's Tournament Series and The Northeast Icefishing Circuit .

grumpymoe

« Reply #7 on: Jan 24, 2006, 07:46 PM »
I am going to disagree with the Mille Lac.....I have had a few homemade chisels that cut far better than the one I purchased last season....I have to say that it is very light....sharp.....but you cannot easily chip out a pre-drilled hole easier than a spud that has some weight to it......and a good sharp edge.....one of my best ones is sitting at the bottom of a favorite lake.....has anyone here heard of needlebars?  Grump

Offline ice dude

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 24, 2006, 10:46 PM »
Yukon Golds are the best "Spuds" i have tried. Fried, Baked , or mashed.   ;D :D ;)

I agree with Grump, heavy and sharp is the way to go. Make your own if you have a welder and a grinder.

Offline wavewatcher

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Menominee, MI
« Reply #9 on: Jan 25, 2006, 07:37 AM »
has anyone here heard of needlebars?  Grump

yes i have a home made needlebar. my uncle made it many years ago. works GREAT!!!!!!!!!!! I use it every time I reopen the holes in the shack, or when opening holes for tipup spots i used the day before. I reminds me of fishing with him as he passed away 4 years ago now. ( Miss you uncle Steve!!!)  its vary fast. One hard jab and its barried in the ice2+ inches. I almost lost it a few times to the resault of letting morons use it that dont listen to "Make sure you put the rope around your hand". one time i had to use a aquaview, gaff, and a cold wet arm to retrieve it off the bottom.  No more of that!!!!
FISH ON!!!!!!!

Offline J_MAKI

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 25, 2006, 09:53 AM »

yes i have a home made needlebar. my uncle made it many years ago. works GREAT!!!!!!!!!!! I use it every time I reopen the holes in the shack, or when opening holes for tipup spots i used the day before. I reminds me of fishing with him as he passed away 4 years ago now. ( Miss you uncle Steve!!!)  its vary fast. One hard jab and its barried in the ice2+ inches. I almost lost it a few times to the resault of letting morons use it that dont listen to "Make sure you put the rope around your hand". one time i had to use a aquaview, gaff, and a cold wet arm to retrieve it off the bottom.  No more of that!!!!

Can you post a pic?

Thanks

Offline Skiff

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Walleye, pike, perch...Yeah!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 25, 2006, 02:32 PM »
Needlebars are great!  The commercial ones I've used have a triangular point on a 1 foot taper, are about 6' (or longer) and made of solid steel, usually round bar 5/8 or 3/4" diam.  Come with a steel ring at the top to attach a safety loop so you don't lose the bar.  They work extremely well when the ice is frozen rock hard and shatter the ice when they hit.  If the ice is soft or melting, a dull spud works faster.
There is at least one supplier to commercial fishermen that sells needlebars, about $110US or $130 CDN before taxes.  Not cheap.
"I'm as healthy as I ever was, I just go to the doctor more often".  - one of my retired buddies

grumpymoe

« Reply #12 on: Jan 25, 2006, 07:57 PM »
Skiff....I've been doing some online searching to see if I could find a pic to post...No luck so far.....the spud discussion comes up every year at some point in time, and thought it would be neat for some of the younger anglers to see whats out there that really works well....I like my Mille Lacs for minor chipping, but for enlarging holes?....not worth the effort as I posted.....Grump

Offline Skiff

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 25, 2006, 08:18 PM »
Grump - I found a couple of needlebar pics, one from a commercial site I won't mention, and one from a historical site:
Here's a drawing of the commercial needlebar currently being sold (longer than drawn):

And here's the photo of a fisherman holding a needlebar.  The point is visible behind the ice jigger (used for net setting):

And no, this photo isn't of me in my youth!  :roflmao:

"I'm as healthy as I ever was, I just go to the doctor more often".  - one of my retired buddies

Offline wavewatcher

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Menominee, MI
« Reply #14 on: Jan 27, 2006, 12:15 AM »
Can you post a pic?

Thanks

having a hard time trying to post a pic off my computer.  tell me how and i will.
FISH ON!!!!!!!

Offline Skiff

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 27, 2006, 07:02 PM »
Wavewatcher - Here's a link to the Ice Shanty FAQ's page with the details of posting pictures:
http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=31022.0

Offline pirkaus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Is it safe? You go first.
« Reply #16 on: Jan 29, 2006, 05:35 AM »
And no, this photo isn't of me in my youth!   

Are you sue SKIFF it sorta looks like you ;D
It's hard for us turkeys to work.....                                    while dodging S#!* from soaring eagles

Offline amazinmoose

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Flag UPPP!!
« Reply #17 on: Feb 02, 2006, 10:04 AM »
i have the Jiffy Mille Lacs chisel, i find it to be light for a spud, but she sure does shred that ice with ease! -moose
flag up, tightlines; fish on....   -moose

Offline wavewatcher

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Menominee, MI
« Reply #18 on: Feb 03, 2006, 12:21 PM »
Can you post a pic?

Thanks

J_MAKI I will post a pic.  my dad has the needle bar right now and I was out of town last weekend and i have no other pics of it.  I will get some this weekend.
FISH ON!!!!!!!

Offline fishdog1

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Live life in the outdoors.
« Reply #19 on: Feb 04, 2006, 01:58 AM »
I made a spud about 9 yrs ago and it has served me well. a wooden dowel with a sharpened metal peice stuck in the one end that is held in (and preventing the wood from splitting) by a chunk of a 5lb metal that also adds the needed weight.  I don't know how to put picts on the post or I'd show everyone.

Offline fishdog1

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Live life in the outdoors.
« Reply #20 on: Feb 04, 2006, 01:59 AM »
I like that needle bar idea. My metal chisel point is starting to bend alot more. It might be time for a design alteration.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.