Author Topic: $1, 93 db alarm for jawjackers and other tip-ups  (Read 2220 times)

Offline fowl_language

• Team IceShanty Addict
$1, 93 db alarm for jawjackers and other tip-ups
« on: Jan 29, 2015, 05:45 PM »
Found these at the dollar store while restocking my wet wipes supply!  I always thought they would work well for this application, $1 and comes with batteries included.  They also come with sticky tape that secures it solid to the jacker.  I'm really surprised that it works the width of the rod release.  I figure even if they fry out when/if they get wet... they're only $1.

If you live in north Idaho, I'm sorry cause I'm going to buy out every dollar store in 100 miles of these things :)  I'll post again after I try them on the ice.  I'm thinking about using epoxy to secure pieces of velcro to both the units and the jawjacker so I can take them off and throw them in my bucket and deploy them if it's nice out.

It adds only a little resistance to the rod hook, in the video you can see I mounted it aft of the axle for the trigger so once it breaks that initial resistance it actually has aft inertia to take the hook vertical.  I don't see any reason why these wont work, other then they might get water and short out.  Plus I do not advise using these if you have a hang over!

Give em a try!

Here's the video:

http://vid514.photobucket.com/albums/t345/sagebrushhunter/Ice%20Fishing/20150129_152129_zpsitkgk3bu.mp4

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
Re: $1, 93 db alarm for jawjackers and other tip-ups
« Reply #1 on: Jan 29, 2015, 06:02 PM »
Perfect on all points, Fowl !!!

Some folks have put them on the rod tip ~ The International Space Station picked them up on radar.      :o :woot: :roflmao:

A side note for the hangover crowd ~ With minor surgery and a bit of foam insulation, the squealing shrew can be tamed, ha.    ;)2

Offline aulee42

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 01, 2015, 02:28 PM »
if you can solder at all, you can turn those alarms into tip up lights... I made about 10 lights for roughly $25.00 cant get the pictures to load currently.  Seperate the two covers, unsolder the speaker.  Use a LED light from an old christmas tree light string. Remove the plastic part of the LED light.  Solder the prongs of the LED light to the two wires that were connected to the speaker. You next take your sodering iron and burn a hole in the round part of the casing on top.. With the plastic now somewhat melted. You use a highligher that they also sell at the dollar store and remove the felt tip and the ink. Push the highlighter into the melted plastic and let it cool. peice it all back together and you have a light......

I just found the video on youtube.

Offline fowl_language

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 01, 2015, 04:09 PM »
Nice! I am horrible at soldering but I'll give it a shot!  Thanks for the tip.

Offline hobobob

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 02, 2015, 02:14 PM »
If you are solding, solder on a ball tilt switch (ebay) as trigger / control to make it a self contained unit. Once the alarm is tilted past about 30 degree off horizontal, the alarm will go off.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.