Author Topic: Custom vs China  (Read 7399 times)

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Custom vs China
« Reply #30 on: Dec 22, 2014, 12:51 PM »
I totally disagree. If we both use a one to 4 inch twitch on the jig you think your rod reel and line is going to do something special compared to mine? No on this planet it isn't.

Ahh I see. So your saying exact same reel, line and rods. Just one rod is china the other is custom? You may see a slight difference but not alot.

Buts all those slight differences add up... This is also assuming you can get the same exact action out of a china rod as you can a custom.
Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #31 on: Dec 22, 2014, 01:02 PM »
This will be my last post about this subject.  No one dresses me and no one can tell me to go out and buy a custom rod. Reason, I follow no one. Just because you were told once that a custom rod was the way to go and you bought into it that is OK. I just don't buy into anything that makes someone else a lot of money. I have no problems catching fish and never have. I see more people not catching fish when I am and it would make some people feel guilty, Not me.
<===Lefty===

Offline Townie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Dec 22, 2014, 03:04 PM »
Similar threads devolve into " I can catch as many fish with my willow switch and kite string". Having used both poorly manufactured China sticks and recently a true custom (thanks Ryno!); I contend that better blanks and components DO result in better sensitivity and increased catch rates. Never been  interested in competing with other anglers and could care less about impressing anyone with pricey gear.

It's ironic that  those who brag the most are the guys using broken rod tips or $10 buggy whips. I prefer fast action rods that load the first 1/4  while  the rest is backbone. Cant stand softer actions which leave the rod doubled over up to the handle; leaving little control over better fish. I had to up my jig size to 5mm with my Fenwick production rod before I could feel the damn thing. Comparing that to my  old Thorne Bros. Sweetheart; its just no contest as to the superior product.  I'd rather support custom builders in the U.S., foreign made components or not.

It's all about budget constraints and priorities in life. It's taken 20 years to amass my gear. I could never afford a LX-9, had to settle for a x67 sonar (priceless to me). To some, sonar's still "cheating"...lol
Bulls, Jumbos & Slabs Oh My!

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #33 on: Dec 22, 2014, 03:38 PM »
I started building my own rods as a hobby.
I also found that any of the off the shelf rods were not beefy enough for the fishing I do up here.
I ended up building some true customs that are built from cut down solid glass saltwater blanks. They worked better than I could have hoped for. They have caught lakers and pike in the high 20's with no problems at all.
Currently building another one for a fellow ice fisher in Alaska.

Offline JonPerry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #34 on: Dec 22, 2014, 03:56 PM »
I think it's six or one/half dozen of the other. If I can't find a rod I like off the shelf, I would certainly buy a custom. So far that's not been the case though The test I put an ice rod through aside from the standard flex test is to put the tip of the rod on my adams apple while holding the rod close to the handle & speaking. If I can feel the vibration of my voice in the blank it's sensitive enough for what I need :icefish:

Offline Stinkybaits

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Dec 22, 2014, 03:59 PM »
Great posts guys! Glad the customs are around as you can get more choices and it boils down to personal preferences. Fish with what makes you happy and budget restraints also play a factor too as mentioned above . Strike indicators can turn a cheap rod into a killer rod pretty quick. Line watchers don't need much in the way of a rod either. Where I am were mainly chasing gills and crappie. Gills preferably for table fare and crappie for the fun. I find that many using micro plastics and no bait ice flies tend to prefer the softest glass noodle they can find or a long rod neither are available by the big boys. Plus the softer the better for my personal preference. 

Offline jiggaray

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #36 on: Dec 22, 2014, 04:28 PM »
I have both custom and off the rack.I try to buy better quality rods if I like what's on the rack at the time I get it. I'll fish it if I don't like it I pass it down to one of the kids I don't care who makes it really if is what I'm looking for. Just out of curiosity what American reels and line going on the custom rods?

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Dec 22, 2014, 04:59 PM »
I use off the shelf but would love to build my own "custom" for the pride of doing so. I haven't had a problem finding an off the shelf rod less than $40 that will get the job done for the styles of fishing I do.

Ugly stik gx2 light action - panfish noodle rod - floppy tip, super sensitive and good backbone. $20 and gets the job done w/o a spring bobber ('gills), used for <20FOW jigging
no8 Snitch - Slower tip action than the gx2 but more backbone - $35 (crappie and perch) used for spoons, raps, and deep water
Frabill polar fire light action - $cheap - used for jawjacker/deadsticking

A lot of ice fishing equipment is hype, or overpriced Chinese garbage. I tend to keep it simple but whatever $1## rod or reel floats your boat, more power to ya

Catchin' Fish

Offline Chris Raymond

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lifelong Outdoorsman
« Reply #38 on: Dec 22, 2014, 05:11 PM »
I'm curious, which U.S. manufacturer is providing Thorne Bros. their ice blanks? 
Chris Raymond

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #39 on: Dec 22, 2014, 05:24 PM »
I'm curious, which U.S. manufacturer is providing Thorne Bros. their ice blanks?

::) they'd have to show me the US factory for me to believe it.

Rg
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline Raynestorm

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #40 on: Dec 22, 2014, 05:54 PM »
I am not aware of any ice blanks that are made in the USA. Not saying there isn't, but in my searches I have come up empty handed.  If anyone knows of a place that makes them, I will gladly buy my blanks from them.

Different strokes for different folks. Some people like high end gear, some like tried and true vintage gear.  Does a high priced custom stick catch more fish? Depends on the person using it I guess. Ever see the national fish team fist? They use marmish rods and I gurantee they will outfishing nearly anyone on this website. So, which rod is best, is in the eye of the beholder.

For the record, I build my own rods because I couldn't buy what I was looking for off the shelf.  I can build any TUCR, DH, or Thorne Bros rod for $30 or less.  So can anyone here, just buy the parts and build the rod.  Plenty of suppliers online.  It's really easy.  My buddy wanted to go laker fishing with me one day, but didn't have a rod.  I assembled everything in an hour and had it on the dryer for a day and it was ready for our trip. 

If anyone is interested, I can help them get started.  Just to warn you, it gets addictive!

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #41 on: Dec 22, 2014, 06:16 PM »
I've been building for 30 years. Ice rods are a waste of my time. My Yad rods are more than adequate for the number of outings I can manage each season.  I have 20 or so. Love them!

All my fly rods and open water rods are RG Custom rods ::) they're worth a fortune to me. Each one a work of art ( although Art never touched them).

But luckily, we live in America where any Chinese product can be turned into "Custom, Made In USA"

Rg
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline Stinkybaits

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Dec 22, 2014, 07:18 PM »
I am not aware of any ice blanks that are made in the USA. Not saying there isn't, but in my searches I have come up empty handed.  If anyone knows of a place that makes them, I will gladly buy my blanks from them.

Different strokes for different folks. Some people like high end gear, some like tried and true vintage gear.  Does a high priced custom stick catch more fish? Depends on the person using it I guess. Ever see the national fish team fist? They use marmish rods and I gurantee they will outfishing nearly anyone on this website. So, which rod is best, is in the eye of the beholder.

For the record, I build my own rods because I couldn't buy what I was looking for off the shelf.  I can build any TUCR, DH, or Thorne Bros rod for $30 or less.  So can anyone here, just buy the parts and build the rod.  Plenty of suppliers online.  It's really easy.  My buddy wanted to go laker fishing with me one day, but didn't have a rod.  I assembled everything in an hour and had it on the dryer for a day and it was ready for our trip. 

If anyone is interested, I can help them get started.  Just to warn you, it gets addictive!

Sweet! So your technically a custom rod builder and made one for your own needs. That's how most get started actually. You can even get better pricing with a wholesalers license probably saving another 15 bucks. So if you were to sell around 50 be a sweet setup and I'm guessing better than the one assembled in China because you cared about it? Guides were probably straight and spline of the blank spot on. I don't see the huge difference in money on buying a custom vs China assembled. Why not give it to the custom guy and keep it in America? Unless your getting some crazy tricked out rod that took the builder hours to make I just don't see the quadruple the price issue. I've definetely have never seen it at the shows comparing apples to apples.

Offline Hawkeyefish

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Calling it like I see it
« Reply #43 on: Dec 22, 2014, 08:05 PM »
Thanks for the shout out, Stinky!

Also, fun to see a most of these guys really know their stuff. Solid topic choice.

Now, that we all know "custom" is China/Korea made and US assembled, I pose this question.

As you put down the China made big boys like 13, Clam, etc...what happens when one of them decides to assemble here in the US? Would they be seen as "custom?" They'd have placement everywhere, so would that kill the niche feeling of a small time guy, even though it's "made in America."

Also, I commend those guys for taking chances on product like the Black Ops, Tickle Stick, original meat stick. Without that, the industry doesn't change.

Offline Dark Cloud

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #44 on: Dec 22, 2014, 08:39 PM »

Rg

Iv'e spent quite a bit of time with the owner of TB, hes an honest a man as they come..... Blanks made in California. Same company makes a lot of stuff for NASA....

This whole thread cracks me up... I am baffled by the worry people have about other people and what makes them happy...
I have literally fished with or handled about every rod made in the last 30 years and made dozens and dozens of my own. There is definatly something to be said for using quality components along with quality craftsmanship. That being said I will outfish most of my buddies 9/10 times with a 9$ ice blue with a 5$ schooly reel. Experience and that fish sense trumps everything.  ;D

Offline jwetovick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #45 on: Dec 22, 2014, 08:42 PM »

Thanks for the info rayne. Fun to see other fellow rod builders. Im curious on your comment of building any of the big 3 for under 30 bucks. TUCR tells me they dont sell their blanks and nearly all TB blanks are over 30 bucks. DH on the other hand does sell his reasonable (20-25). Have you been able to get them cheaper? Curious to know. I have built on TB, DH, and MHX from mudhole. All are great blanks. I am no pro by any means and new and at rod building but i honestly cant see a ton of diff between mhx and TB quiverstick. That said, the noodle comparison is not close. TB is much better imo. As mentioned just a rookie and trying to learn more to feed all my buddies addiction after i have put a DH noodle in their hands. Love that blank for crappie!! Thanks again for your info man.

Offline Stinkybaits

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #46 on: Dec 22, 2014, 09:35 PM »

Rg

http://www.unitedcomposites-usa.com/about.html
https://goodwinds.com

There's a couple for you RG  ;D. The custom guy I use sands his own down to whatever my needs are and many other true custom guys can do the same.

Offline Stinkybaits

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #47 on: Dec 22, 2014, 10:09 PM »
Thanks for the shout out, Stinky!

Also, fun to see a most of these guys really know their stuff. Solid topic choice.

Now, that we all know "custom" is China/Korea made and US assembled, I pose this question.

As you put down the China made big boys like 13, Clam, etc...what happens when one of them decides to assemble here in the US? Would they be seen as "custom?" They'd have placement everywhere, so would that kill the niche feeling of a small time guy, even though it's "made in America."

Also, I commend those guys for taking chances on product like the Black Ops, Tickle Stick, original meat stick. Without that, the industry doesn't change.

No they wouldn't be custom unless it's built to my specs. Here's an example. I order a Corvette from GM and they can only do so much. But I've got the money and want a killer crazy ride so I call a company like Lingenfelter and they take the Corvette to a whole different level of craziness. Obviously GM can't do it nor do they want to not everyone wants one. However is the Lingenfelter Corvette any better than GM? Oh ya it SMOKES the original GM product because it's all tricked out. Lingenfelter was able to create something to my specs where GM can't because they are about mass production not custom. Can both get you speeding tickets? Sure. But is one waaaay faster and performs so much better than the other? OH YA Lingenfelter creation would crush stock. It's not so much location as it is to building to a customers specs and not to the limited choices a manufacturing company has to offer. Here's my panfish setup. All my blanks are matched up to my lure of choice. If I'm using tungsten and micro plastics I'll use a heavier blank than when I'm using an ice fly. All my blanks are interchangeable with my handles. One handle is a palm handle another is for penciling. I don't have 10 separate rods with 10 separate reels it weights me down everything is compact and ready to roll. There isn't a manufacturer around that can meet my personal needs and there never will be they are selling numbers not individual one time pieces. They don't want to hand sand my blanks to my specs. My custom guy will. Does my setup cost some bucks? Sure it does but if I were to buy 10 Genz combos for instance and throw a 15 dollar reel on each one I've spent 600 plus bucks at that point so I'm pretty much spending the same. Instead I've got a killer Stradic and a BB 6061 a handful of blanks and can balance the side weight of an inline reel by rotating the blank in the handle. I just can't get that from any manufacturer. I also through a long rod to the right in the case another item I can't get made from the big boys. This setup it custom to the extreme but it's a great example of what manufacturers won't do that a custom guy can do. Well some custom guys. People assembling rod kits from Mudhole are rod builders not custom builders. True custom builders design their own blanks. Sure they don't make their own blanks but they hand sand them down to create their desired action. Just like Lingenfelter didn't build the Corvette they tweeked it to suit their clients wants or needs.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #48 on: Dec 22, 2014, 10:15 PM »
Bricker;) case closed!

Offline jwetovick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #49 on: Dec 22, 2014, 10:26 PM »
Those are sweet looking blanks stinky. If you dont mind me asking how much are each blank. Roughly?

Offline Stinkybaits

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #50 on: Dec 22, 2014, 10:32 PM »
In case some were wandering about the split grip on the spinning reel handle it's actually a jig removal tool.

Offline Crappielover89

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #51 on: Dec 22, 2014, 11:11 PM »
i fish Tuned Up Custom Rods and they are by far better than any other rod i ever bought.

Offline Pike Paralyzer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #52 on: Dec 22, 2014, 11:47 PM »
Nice rods, glad your happy with them.
Sometimes ya gotta push the sheep through the fence

Offline Green Mountain Boy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #53 on: Dec 23, 2014, 12:12 AM »
I'm confused.............. ..is this ice fishing or fly fishing forum? 

What, not even a mention of the "Green Hornet" either! ;D

Offline BackCountry Kyle

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • C'mon Sub-Zeros! Tēm Hîpē FySh <°]))}{
« Reply #54 on: Dec 23, 2014, 01:49 AM »
 :o Stinky, what the heck took you so long to make that post?!! Like Missoula said case closed!.... Jealous much? DANG I am...  @)  :tipup:

Offline ryno

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ditch the bobbers and get a 'tight line'
« Reply #55 on: Dec 23, 2014, 01:50 AM »
Interesting topic....
I have built several ice rods this year for friends and enjoy it...I guess that would make it a hobby!  I could really care less what anybody thinks about which is better.  I do know I like my customs and haven't had any complaints from my friends, might be cause I'm only charging them for materials:). I know the quality of my finished product is excellent.  Heck I custom taper the blank to whatever somebody wants.  There are all kinds of custom products that demand a higher price regardless of the level of personal touch used....I'm guessing everybody has a custom something they have bought over a mass produced item.

Ryno
]

Offline MNLumpy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #56 on: Dec 23, 2014, 04:55 AM »
Love my custom rods. I even bought a custom arm for my LX7, why? Cause I think it looks cool, does it catch me more fish? Nope. Hell I can't even fathom the amount of money I literally pissed away at the bars over my 16 year drinking career. It was nothing to spend $300 boozing at the bars on a weekend. Now I've traded that addiction for ice fishing. So to me spending $89 dollars on a nice rod is nothing, at least I have something to show for it. It baffles my why anyone other then my wife gives a crap how I or other people spend there money. I have no problem putting money in to the pockets of small business. Yes there blanks are probably made in china but that's not there fault, it's hard to buy anything made in America anymore and that's sad. Can you even buy a reel made in America?

Offline Stinkybaits

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #57 on: Dec 23, 2014, 09:22 AM »
:o Stinky, what the heck took you so long to make that post?!! Like Missoula said case closed!.... Jealous much? DANG I am...  @)  :tipup:

Some good posts over the topic just showing the difference between rod parts bought and assembled vs actual tricked out custom. Some anglers think that it's all just parts bought off Mudhole then assembled. I call those rod kits not customs. The possibilities are endless and at the end of the day it's all about technique and knowledge. Here's a pic of some handle components that is made. There's also a Skull palm rod a person wanted and notice the chin of the skull is used as part of the reel seat.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #58 on: Dec 23, 2014, 10:14 AM »

Thanks everyone for an interesting read , it's nice that there are choices we can make

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #59 on: Dec 23, 2014, 11:03 AM »
All that really matters is if the rod is the  correct design for the type of fishing being done.  Lure, species, type of line, depth, personal preference, etc. play a huge role in the type of rod needed.  A custom rod will not catch more fish if it is not the right tool for the job.   Jigging blades I need a fast, stiff rod with the backbone to drive those hooks in and keep them there.  I find plenty of this type in the open market.

I must say Im hard on equipment, and if I bust a $30 rod, I can simply go get another one.
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.