Author Topic: minnow heads  (Read 2571 times)

Offline auhunter

• IceShanty Rookie
minnow heads
« on: Jan 13, 2014, 10:23 PM »
I don't ice fish a lot with minnows and was wondering why the guys on some of the ice fishing shows on TV use only the heads and throw the bodies away? The minnows we get are a little pricey to be throwing away over half of your money! Why not use the body for the next fish? Just curious?
may their be holes in your ice and fish in your holes

Offline Kilbourn

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Wisconsin Dells, WI
Re: minnow heads
« Reply #1 on: Jan 13, 2014, 10:32 PM »
Some friends and I have done this for the smaller appearance but still getting that fishy scent for the jig. Also bait shops just throw out the dead minnows so you can normally get them for free. In the past when we ran out of heads we've used the tails and fish will still take it when the bits good. But you're right bait can be pricey and I normally don't fish this way.

Offline auhunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 14, 2014, 12:09 AM »
Thanks for the reply Kilbourn. It's not a big deal I was just  curious, I didn't want to miss out on any ice fishing secretes.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Jan 14, 2014, 07:26 AM »
Thanks for the reply Kilbourn. It's not a big deal I was just  curious, I didn't want to miss out on any ice fishing secretes.

Just remember those guy's in the shows are getting paid to fish and their bait is paid for also. I am sure they are using the tails for tip-ups.
<===Lefty===

Offline grizzlyhackle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 14, 2014, 07:33 AM »
I don't ice fish a lot with minnows and was wondering why the guys on some of the ice fishing shows on TV use only the heads and throw the bodies away? The minnows we get are a little pricey to be throwing away over half of your money! Why not use the body for the next fish? Just curious?

Well I guess I ask the question whats the difference if you used the whole minnow to catch a fish or only the minnow head - either way the minnow is getting used. The heads are used mostly for scent and to add a more natural look to spoons or jigs. If I am fishing minnow heads i'll pop off the heads prior to leaving and fill my bait puck, that way you dont have to finangle with the minnows when the bite is on

Offline Whytie

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 14, 2014, 09:43 AM »
Well I guess I ask the question whats the difference if you used the whole minnow to catch a fish or only the minnow head - either way the minnow is getting used. The heads are used mostly for scent and to add a more natural look to spoons or jigs. If I am fishing minnow heads i'll pop off the heads prior to leaving and fill my bait puck, that way you dont have to finangle with the minnows when the bite is on

Hey Grizzly I do the exact samething i pop the minnow head of before going out. beats having freezing cold hand while trying to do it. I buy frozen minnows when I do this.

Offline bassmak

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 14, 2014, 10:30 AM »
Good Ideas!

Offline auhunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 14, 2014, 12:10 PM »
Thanks for the information  and replying.

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Jan 14, 2014, 03:27 PM »
Good replies!

WS

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
« Reply #9 on: Jan 22, 2014, 06:14 PM »
With dead minnows, it is actually saving me money because I use the head, then the tail so I am getting a 2 for 1   ;D
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.