Author Topic: Bucket/seat for ice fishing  (Read 4906 times)

Offline bigjohn58

• IceShanty Rookie
Bucket/seat for ice fishing
« on: Dec 22, 2005, 09:24 AM »
I'm looking for a good bucket seat for ice fishing but I can't find one anywhere.  I want something I can store stuff in and after you sit on it and get off of it you can still open the lid easily.  I've just been taking along a 5 gallon bucket but once you sit on it you can't get the lid off and it hurts your fingers so bad trying to get it off.  My brother has a real nice seat that latches instead of snapping on and it has storage compartments no the sides and stuff.  My dad got that back in the 1970s though.  I saw the bucket buddy on the internet and I'm thinking about that maybe.  Any suggestions on a good seat/bucket?

Offline wavewatcher

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Menominee, MI
Re: Bucket/seat for ice fishing
« Reply #1 on: Dec 22, 2005, 05:19 PM »
I had got a nice camo bucket for x-mas but that was about 10 years ago. but that has a easy off lid and a material bag that goes over the outside of it with velcro pockets on it. i like it allot.  you could make your own.  take the lid and cut off all the locking tabs around it but 2 of them on opposite sides. (saves on the fingers) also you can cut a 1/3 of the inside of the lid off so you can toss fish in without taking the lid off, then cut a piece of plywood to fit the remainder of the lid.(other 2/3) then find some foam rubber and some material put on plywood for a cushy seat then screw on lid from bottom side( make sure screws are short so they don't go  all the way through the wood and poke you in the rear).   then u have a nice butt pad, a place to toss your fish(also a place to put jig Pole and still put on lid), and no more sore fingers!  if u want pics PM  me
FISH ON!!!!!!!

Offline eyedoktr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • keep your pole in the hole
« Reply #2 on: Dec 23, 2005, 06:02 AM »
I just don't use a cover on the bucket. I can slide the fish right between my legs. Hey, it's just like sittin' on the john for a few hours, except no magazines.  :-)
Pete Lewis

trapperdirk

« Reply #3 on: Dec 24, 2005, 12:51 AM »
You can get the keeper deluxe chair that will hold all your gear and even has a back rest too . Cabelas sells it . A few of us posted some reviews on it here a while back and I think it was in the general forum .

TD

Offline BrianF

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 29, 2005, 02:47 PM »
HT sells one but no tackle storage. I have one and like it. They look ez nuf to make though out of a bucket lid. Cut 25% off and then fit foam with a covering to it. You could even glue a small plano tacklebox to the bottom I guess. I was thinking of doing that with mine.

Offline oleycow

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 29, 2005, 11:27 PM »
I just bought one tonight at Mills Fleet Farm (Wisconsin/Minnesota company) but I'm sure it is available in many stores.  It is made by Plano and has a lid mounted on a hinge.  The lid snaps down but not super tight.  There is no pad on the top but it says it is strong enough to sit or even stand on.  I might grab one of my deer hunting seat pads to use on those long fishing days.  It was just over $10.00.

Offline Big_Buck_Hunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Pull it out and measure it.
« Reply #6 on: Dec 30, 2005, 08:15 AM »
You can't beat the "Oscar" style cooler.  Tall enough and wide enough to sit on, cover comes off easily and you can store stuff inside it.
Life is just a bunch of BS between deer seasons.
Mama doesn't know the toys we keep...

PIKEGUY

« Reply #7 on: Dec 30, 2005, 01:01 PM »

These are pretty slick

Offline roygpa

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Where's da Ice?
« Reply #8 on: Dec 30, 2005, 05:42 PM »
I made a couple out of some extra 1 by 6 inch boards that I had around the house. It fits snug enough to keep from falling off and I use a throwable PFB for a pad to keep my butt from going numb. If I need the PFD, I know right where it is.

Roy G PA
Southwestern, PA

Offline NorthwoodsIce

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 30, 2005, 11:05 PM »
Any body have a back rest on your seat that is used with a bucket?  I saw some at gander but they looked uncomfortable. If anybody has any ideas on how to make one either post here or on the inventions topic area.
Welcome to the Northwoods! Grab a Leinenkugel's!

DMNH

« Reply #10 on: Jan 04, 2006, 07:11 PM »
I have the Bucket Buddy Ice Pak II w/ padded seat and it works pretty well (better than sitting on the ice). I fish w/ traps, so if my butt hurts at the end of the day it means I didn't catch anything.  :)

Offline 4x4elk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 06, 2006, 03:55 AM »
I have the frabill bucket with the foam pad on it. It is also taller than a normal bucket and I took a 2" hole saw and cut a hole in the lid this works great as a rod holder and in transport to and from lake for poles ( the ends of the rods stick up through it)
FIND'EM, CATCH'EM, FILLET'EM, GRILL'EM & EAT'EM

Offline cstolp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 06, 2006, 07:48 AM »
How about using a pail tool organizer that you strap on the outside of the bucket.  You can find these at Home Depot, Menards, or Fleet Farm.  They make them for fishing but those are almost identical to the ones sold for tools but much more expensive.
Cheese Head

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.