Author Topic: Odd reel/ jig pole.  (Read 2495 times)

Offline anotherred

• IceShanty Rookie
Odd reel/ jig pole.
« on: Dec 12, 2005, 11:33 AM »
I talked to a guy that had a fishing rod where the line started on the reel (which was part of the handle) went through the  wood handle then through the rod. The rod didnt have eyes, the line actually went through the rod. where do I find one of these reels because I would like to make one. He gave me a idea where to get the rod, and I can turn the handle on my lathe, I just need the reel.

Offline pontiac787

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
Re: Odd reel/ jig pole.
« Reply #1 on: Dec 13, 2005, 11:19 AM »
Is this what you talking about? http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=37712

Offline anotherred

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 16, 2005, 11:00 AM »
That looks just like it. I found out the one I saw was actually made/sold by a 45 min. north of me.

Offline pontiac787

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 16, 2005, 11:04 AM »
Nice.  I love finding rods that are a little different then the ones you see everyday.

Offline Smokeeater

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Solitude without the Lonliness
« Reply #4 on: Dec 16, 2005, 05:38 PM »
Hey Anotherred,

Try Janns Netcraft. they have a reel that looks similar to the one you are describing, and the one on the link that pontiac787 posted.  In their catalog it is called a Replacement Telescoping Pole Reel.  Take a look at their web site at http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/Details.aspx?itemNo=920401.
You can't catch em if you don't get out there!

Offline anotherred

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 18, 2005, 01:46 PM »
I ordered 2 reels and hollow graphite rods from peterson-outdoors. When they come in I'll turn the wood handles on my lathe and assemble from there. What I liked about the rod I held was the sensitivity of it. I guess I'll find out pretty soon after I get them put together how well they really work.

Offline MSUICEMAN

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 19, 2005, 02:27 PM »
they are good, but are prone to ice-up.

hali-man

« Reply #7 on: Dec 19, 2005, 02:32 PM »
they are good, but are prone to ice-up.

Instead of a guide or two icing up you would be screwed... :o

Offline wavewatcher

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Menominee, MI
« Reply #8 on: Dec 22, 2005, 06:05 PM »
4 years ago i first seen a rod like that.  2 older fellas had them. the gills were biting very lite where i was fishing, the 2 older guys were doing much better then i was. they had heavier line on thoses poles and said they could feel them bite allot better with rods like that (v.s. bobber) i think there neat  i want to get one!
FISH ON!!!!!!!

Offline Fish247

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • So many fish, so little time!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 03, 2006, 03:40 PM »
I have made half a dozen of these type rods.  I had one that was made by HT but it was far to stiff.  I broke many lines with it because I refuse to use heavier than 3 lb test for gills and crappies(usually 2lb.)  I took two old ultralite rods and took the guides off and cleaned up the blanks.  I bought cork handles, reels and spring bobbers and made two of them.  One is about 3 1/2 ft and the other is about 4 1/2 ft.  They are much more flexable, allowing me to use light line.  I have yet to break a line on a fish including a 16 inch bass.  I would post a pic but I have a real problem posting pics on this site.  I have also ordered rod blanks from Janns Netcraft and built two others that work just as well.  Just this last weekend I made two more "shorties" for sight fishing in the shanty.  I love them!  I can't imagine not having them now.

Eric. 8)
Fishing is not a matter of life or death. It's more serious than that!!

Offline Nozzlejocky

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Wisconsin...where God goes to relax!
« Reply #10 on: Jan 04, 2006, 02:34 PM »
I have a buddy that makes custom ice rods.  He is able to make this style.  I've used one he did and it worked great.  If you'd like, let me know and I'll put you in touch with him.

Offline Fish247

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • So many fish, so little time!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 06, 2006, 10:54 PM »
Here is a picture of one of the rods I made.  This one is almost 5ft long.  Not for in the shanty for sure, but nice if you are hole hoppin'
Fishing is not a matter of life or death. It's more serious than that!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.