Author Topic: best panfish rod  (Read 7848 times)

Offline Sax_

• Team IceShanty Regular
best panfish rod
« on: Nov 29, 2005, 07:53 PM »
what do you guys think is the best panfish rod out there ?

sax
Sax

Offline {RPF}Rapala Pike Fisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "If you can't catch fish, your not using a Rapala"
Re: best panfish rod
« Reply #1 on: Nov 29, 2005, 08:07 PM »
For a cheap very sensitive combo you could get the frabill panfish popper for like $20, it also has a spring bobber on it that makes it real nice ;)

hali-man

« Reply #2 on: Nov 29, 2005, 10:15 PM »
I don't know if they still make them, but I got a Frabill Amplifier a couple years back that is great. It's the most sensitive rod I ever held in my hand.

Offline jcb554

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 01, 2005, 10:32 AM »
Fiskas palm rod.

Offline Chucker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice - It's not just for drinking!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 01, 2005, 04:03 PM »
I don't know if they still make them, but I got a Frabill Amplifier a couple years back that is great. It's the most sensitive rod I ever held in my hand.

Not to mention one of the coldest!
I'm a-going to stay where ya sleep all day,
Where they hung the jerk who invented work
In the big rock candy mountains.

Offline littlesturgeonguy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 01, 2005, 06:02 PM »
frabill ultra ice hold it to your voicebox and talk can feel it through the handle

Offline marmooskapaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 01, 2005, 06:14 PM »
I've got an older thorne brothers sweatheart rod before they went with solid graphite. It is my favorite for jigging marmooskas and wolfram's. Also liked the Berkley/Gentz Lightning rod, the stiffer 29 inch model is good for jigging and the 24 inch makes a great spring bobber rod. Paul

Offline iceturd

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #7 on: Dec 02, 2005, 11:30 AM »
St.croix avid series UL paired with a cetus gv500 reel is the best combo I,ve come up with for panfish, have landed largemouth up to 6lbs. & several 15-18" walleye on this rig too. St.x rods are awesome & also made in the right place, by fishermen & also have great cust. service if needed.

Offline Icenutter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 02, 2005, 11:50 AM »
Nature Vision teamed up with Dave Genz this year to produce the Genz Stick Gold and Silver series.  I believe there are 7 rods in each series, each one made for a different species of fish.  I ordered a 27 inch Light Perch rod and am anxious to try it out this year.  The Gold series are graphite rods and the Silver are fiberglass.  The Gold series run $19.99 and the Silver $14.99.  Not a bad price for a graphite rod. 

I also like the HT Ice Blue Series in UL action.  For $7.99 these rods are great panfish rods. 
Bring on the ice!!!!!!!  <br />      

Offline PACKERBACKER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Retired
« Reply #9 on: Dec 03, 2005, 10:02 AM »
I like Cabela's Fish Eagle 16" IM6 graphite.
Winners don't know they're in a race.

They just like to run.

Offline Sax_

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 05, 2005, 07:54 PM »
Just bought a St Croix UL rod from gander mt.,I really like it . very sensitvie cant wait to give her a try   :)
thanks for the info guys !!!
Sax

Offline ice dude

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 05, 2005, 10:18 PM »
noodle rod about 3' long

Offline tommy-n

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Dec 06, 2005, 07:40 AM »
One vote for the thorne bros. panfish sweetheart and sweetthing

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #13 on: Dec 06, 2005, 08:05 AM »
Marmish is where it's at....those little beauties are super sensative and yet capable of bringing in the big boys as well

Offline fishingking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 06, 2005, 11:04 PM »
ht blue 7-8 bucks cant go wrong and seeing that i ussually break 1-3 a year the price is right
Loose Lips Sink Ships
50,232 Members and 50,232 Lurkers.
Ego's :nono:

Offline Doubles Shooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Dec 23, 2005, 01:23 PM »
According to my wife I have too many rods. However the first rods out of the box are two home made ones. I stopped at my local tackle dealer's and went through the junk rod pile. I found two light action fiberglass tips. cut them to 24" epoxied them into an 8" piece of broom handle. I re-wrapped the guides in better spots, added a spring bobber, taped on a reel and and it's done. Maybe too much work for some but it's satisfying to catch fish on a homemade rig.

Offline Woodguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Dec 27, 2005, 07:09 AM »
I really like my Thorne Sweetheart. St. Croix is my 2nd choice. Tica Cetus SS500 is a nice reel. No more $20 combos for me.........been there, done that. They do not last.

Offline cnyfishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Gotta love the perch fillets!!
« Reply #17 on: Dec 28, 2005, 10:37 AM »
I like the frabill panfish popper combo, spring bobber, sensitive blank, and a decent reel also
"Let them take it... till the minnows good and took. Ya reel up all your slack, then ya set your hook."

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #18 on: Dec 28, 2005, 11:32 AM »
HT ice blue 30" - If you can find any with the brown synthetic cork handles, they are the most sensative jigging rods I have found - perfect for 1lb-2lb test.  I cherish the one that I have.

Offline WartHog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 28, 2005, 12:43 PM »
My favorite is one I made from a broken light action rod.    I used about 24" from the tip and epoxied it into the cork handled that I cut down to size.

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #20 on: Dec 28, 2005, 01:16 PM »
The St. Croix & HT's are my weapons of choice. Have mine set up with Pinnacle and Shakespear reels with the clearest lines I can find.

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline reefrunner

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Need more holes!!!
« Reply #21 on: Dec 28, 2005, 02:56 PM »
second vote for the Thorne Bros. panfish sweetheart and sweetthing. The walleye jiggin rods and deadsticks are second to none.

Offline Hood

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Dec 28, 2005, 03:54 PM »
HT ice blue 30" - If you can find any with the brown synthetic cork handles, they are the most sensative jigging rods I have found - perfect for 1lb-2lb test.  I cherish the one that I have.

Red...which one...ultralight or superflex?  George mentioned them to me and I am gonna order one.

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #23 on: Dec 28, 2005, 10:48 PM »
hood, the one I'm talking about is the OLD Ht ice blue...the new ice blue's with the blue foam grip have a slightly stiffer action...still about perfect for 2lb test though - I do not know anything about 'superflex'...send a link along so I can learn ;)

Offline genz_man

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Just 1 more crappie!!!
« Reply #24 on: Dec 29, 2005, 07:12 AM »
You can't beat the H T Ice blues for panfish............... ..or for the cost either.  :tipup: Great all around ice rod series. ;)2

Offline Nozzlejocky

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Wisconsin...where God goes to relax!
« Reply #25 on: Jan 04, 2006, 02:37 PM »
I love Marmish rods for panfish.  Great presentation and fun.  I also have some Gander ultralights that I'm partial to.  I also have one my buddy made for me that is top notch.

Offline n.sell

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #26 on: Jan 08, 2006, 03:48 PM »
I really like the St. Croix Avid Model AIR 28 UL and also the St. Croix Legend Model LIR24UL. The sneekybobber on the Legend. I have had excellent days when the panfish became fussy and I needed the sneekybobber to help me feel very, very light hits. I also many other rods including the Thorne Bros. model Sweeheart which they used a Sage fly rod blank to make the rod. Awesome as well. Just another for fisherman out there, I recently purchased an ultralight underspin reel from Pflueger Model PFLMICROSPIN. It is very good on all of the rods I listed. Four ball bearings, rugged stainless steel cone and rear cover, and durable graphite frame. Look into these reels, no tangles.

Offline Fish247

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • So many fish, so little time!
« Reply #27 on: Jan 10, 2006, 04:17 PM »
If the fish are in less than 10ft of water this bad boy I made does the trick every time!

If they are deep my favorite is a St Croix avid UL with a Panfish Popper spring bob attached, when they're bitin' light.  If they are slammin' it then I go with the Berkley Prolite 28 in light, its a nice rig.
Fishing is not a matter of life or death. It's more serious than that!!

Offline TJ Bauer

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • LIVE LIFE, FISH, BE SAFE, HAVE FUN
« Reply #28 on: Jan 10, 2006, 05:14 PM »
The best panfish rod is one that has a fish on the other end. ??? ??? ???

Offline fishuhalik

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Jan 10, 2006, 06:21 PM »
I was gonna say the same thing, TJ!  Seriously though, the best I think are the St. Croix Legends, but for the money prolly the Genz gold series

Always wear clean underwear, cuz ya never know when the paramedics are gonna have to cut your pants off.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.