Author Topic: Good ice reels ?  (Read 2973 times)

Offline John_BZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
Good ice reels ?
« on: Nov 25, 2005, 05:41 PM »
Got a question on some ice reels. first off i work for bass pro shops and we really dont have much in the way of icefishing gear but i have got to play with a alright amount of gear. Anyway i am probably going to end up using either a 24" UL st. croix premier or a 26" UL frabil deadstick. I was looking to get a reel for them that will have some size balance. the only problem i found i have is finding one small enough that has instant anti-reverse and a drag knob that clicks. any Shimano 750 size, cardnal 100u, and the bass pro enticer 10 are all good enough but they are too big. the 500 sized shimanos are built like crap but the right size. my only options at bass pro are the diawa spinmatics, quantum extralight, and the shakespere synergy ice. all of the those are sloppy reels though, that have quite a bit of backplay. the genz reels on the combos do have instant antireverse but they are too large which seems to be an ongoing problem. anyone know of a good reel to recomend ?

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
Re: Good ice reels ?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 26, 2005, 09:20 AM »
I was turned onto te St.Croix in the off-season it has yet to hit the ice, but it seems like a sweet little set-up. Perfect panfish rod/combo it's small and light-weight.

Doesn't the BPS sell a nice ultra-lite combo for ice-fishing?

Offline fishuhalik

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 26, 2005, 10:30 AM »
Have you ever heard of cetus?  They make a really sweet, ul-size reel.  They all have anti-reverse and a really good drag system.  They retail anywhere from $25-$50.  The spools are a little small for my liking (I love the shimano 750s, especially the symetre) but are just fine for panfish or small-med 'eyes.  Also, if you're looking for something inexpensive, I bought one of those $15 reels from Gander Mountain last year, and was very impressed.  These reels also have anti-reverse, and the drags aren't too bad, especially for $15

Always wear clean underwear, cuz ya never know when the paramedics are gonna have to cut your pants off.

Offline John_BZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Nov 26, 2005, 06:09 PM »
We sell a fair amount of combos but none are worth it to purchase as far as i am concerned. I would use a symetre or sahara 750 if they where smaller. the smallest reel ive found with instant antireverse with NO backplay in the handle is the diawa laguna 500 at a very unmodest 69.99 a pop. I'm going to check out the cetus tonight.

Offline fisherman5s

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #4 on: Nov 29, 2005, 08:05 PM »
John, I have a couple Quantum Micros and like them.

Offline MSUICEMAN

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Nov 30, 2005, 06:15 AM »
tica cetus SB500 or SS500..... have a few of em and all i have to say is wow.... LOVE EM.

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #6 on: Nov 30, 2005, 09:50 PM »
Just picked up a couple Silstar TFG-20's...small frame reel, 3bb, holds 100yds 4lb test...best part, very solid instant anti reverse...and a good smooth drag, I see them going for as cheap as $15!

HOangler

« Reply #7 on: Dec 03, 2005, 06:46 AM »
I've been fishing hardwater for 30+ years and when I started most fish were brought in by pulling the line hand over hand.  It's my belief that the reel used for icefishing is no more the a line holder.  Sure, everybody wants the best reel they can afford, but this is one place you can skimp.  Unless you are reeling in fish that are huge runners, a smooth drag is wasted money.  If you are spending more then 30 bucks on a reel for ice fishing then the manufacturer caught you.  I know we live in a "keep up with the Jones'" time, so you'll want to impress your peers.  I've been there.  I'm past it, and have learned.  I'm sure BPS isn't paying the big bucks, so the money you save could be an extra trip to the pond or two.

CSP88

« Reply #8 on: Dec 03, 2005, 07:56 AM »
Just picked up a couple Silstar TFG-20's...small frame reel, 3bb, holds 100yds 4lb test...best part, very solid instant anti reverse...and a good smooth drag, I see them going for as cheap as $15!

Bigred, I have one of these on my St. Croix UL rod, they pair up perfectly.  A great little reel for the money.

Chad

Offline fishuhalik

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 03, 2005, 11:05 AM »
I've been fishing hardwater for 30+ years and when I started most fish were brought in by pulling the line hand over hand.  It's my belief that the reel used for icefishing is no more the a line holder.  Sure, everybody wants the best reel they can afford, but this is one place you can skimp.  Unless you are reeling in fish that are huge runners, a smooth drag is wasted money.  If you are spending more then 30 bucks on a reel for ice fishing then the manufacturer caught you.  I know we live in a "keep up with the Jones'" time, so you'll want to impress your peers.  I've been there.  I'm past it, and have learned.  I'm sure BPS isn't paying the big bucks, so the money you save could be an extra trip to the pond or two.
this may be true if you only catch panfish, but every once in a while I have a nice pike grab my crappie jig, and it's nice to have a drag that can keep up w/ these fish when they do hit.  Spending as much time as I do on the ice, it's so frusturating when that fish you're waiting for finally hits and you loose it do to equipment failure. 

Always wear clean underwear, cuz ya never know when the paramedics are gonna have to cut your pants off.

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Fanatic! >))))>
« Reply #10 on: Dec 03, 2005, 04:40 PM »
I'd say it boils down to what you want to spend. I'm not cheap but not rich either. I've had good luck with the AG Cardinal Series reels. Not overly expensive, smooth drag, 9 bb, IAR and spare spool. You will notice some slight  play (wobble) in the handle but that's negligible.
One other tip .. I remove all the grease from the reels and use a synthetic gun grease sparingly.

bigredonice .. I have a few TF 20's (retired somewhere) and I didn't know they came out with IAR. I agree they have smooth drags but the hookset (jigging as well) , without the IAR, was sloppy.

Those who are brave are free ..

Offline reubenpa

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 03, 2005, 06:46 PM »
HOangler...  I personally dont have to keep up with the jones in my reels but a smooth drag is a must... I use 2 lb test line which has DRASTICALLY increased my bites thru the ice and I have also had bluegills, perch and crappeis brake this line because my reels didn't cooperate.....    SMOOTH drags are a HUGE asset.....   I can't afford the 50 dollar reels yet but I have a couple in the 20-30 range that work... but the Flueger reels are AWESome  and only about 30 bucks.......    the ones in the 50-60 range would be better but I don;t have that kind of $

Offline John_BZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Dec 03, 2005, 06:53 PM »

Thanks guys. I ended up getting a tfg 20 ordered by a smaller fishing shop for about 18 bucks. The size was right, i liked the drag, plus i got my IAR in a small reel. I'm happy ;D  glad to see good feedback on the reels. i got a chance to check out the cetus today. they arent bad but they are a bit pricy. one of the smaller IAR reels ive seen though.

HO angler I'm going to have to respectfully disagree on your statement that a  reel is only a line holder. Ice fishing is no different than openwater fishing in my book reguarding equipment. After fishing a little bit higher end equipment thanks to my discount i can't go back. the difference is huge and its enough to shun me from inexpensive unreliable gear.

Offline bladebait

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Keep Your Line Wet And Your Noodles Warm!
« Reply #13 on: Dec 15, 2005, 12:33 AM »
I love the Tiny Deadbolt by Pinnacle.Very smooth,unlimited anti-reverse,and awesome drag.About $20. You won't be disappointed.
Some men fish real hard but only "real men" fish hardwater!

Offline coboy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Dec 17, 2005, 08:40 PM »
I use a few Deadbolt Dlf-25 limiteds and they have worked great for a wide range of fish.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.