Author Topic: Reel Suggestions?  (Read 1613 times)

Offline Chucker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice - It's not just for drinking!
Reel Suggestions?
« on: Jul 13, 2005, 04:26 PM »
OK, got my first two seasons on ice under the belt.  The one thing I've discovered so far is that it seems like every reel I've used has two problems - narrow spool yielding too many coils, and incredibly crappy drag.

I hereby solicit the opinions of my esteemed comrades on IS for a panfish reel that minimizes coils, and has a drag that will stand up to the occasional monster pickerel or passing bass.

Oh, price isn't necessarily an issue, as I will gladly break it in on summer smallmouth in the creek behind the house.
I'm a-going to stay where ya sleep all day,
Where they hung the jerk who invented work
In the big rock candy mountains.

Offline MBurke

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Reel Suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: Jul 20, 2005, 08:52 AM »
Hi Chucker....I,m no expert on them but...I got one last year thats pretty sweet. Its a Shimano Sedona 750. Nice and smooth with a great drag. And not real pricey..$49  Hope this helps   :)

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jul 29, 2005, 07:03 PM »
I use the Diawa Caprice 500 reels. I bought one and liked it so much I bought 2 more. Now I got them on my main two poles with a spare. Next time I will probably get the more expensive more bearing model. These were $39 apiece. They work great for me, drag very nice, maybe not Tica cetus nice but pretty close. And it isnt going to die after 2 seasons either. Abu Garcia makes nice reels also. I use them in summer some, not a whole for ice.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline Trophy Hunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Oct 30, 2005, 12:43 PM »
Mr. Seaguar that makes me happy you said that I just picked up a caprice 1000. It sure looks and feels nice!!

Offline Fishrmn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Prayin' for sub-zero temps.
« Reply #4 on: Oct 30, 2005, 02:44 PM »
Last year I picked up three Diawa Laguna 1000s.  Spare spool, infinite drag, nice reels.  $60 each.  I think I'll get another one or two this year.

Fishrmn
Fishrmn

"I tolerate with the utmost latitude the right of others to differ from me in opinion." Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
« Reply #5 on: Oct 30, 2005, 06:50 PM »
Both the Daiwa and Shimano's are great choices. I have a couple of the cheaper Okuma's bot I needed to repack the main bearing with a low temp grease so they would not bind up in the cold.

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 21, 2005, 09:41 PM »
ive got 2 shakespere sigmas on both my rods. though not as smooth as some of the more pricey reels they have a good drag and for $18 a piece at walmart the price is right.

Offline iowaboy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Nov 24, 2005, 02:08 PM »
Tica Cetus 500 series. LF,GV,SB & SS price goes up with the numbers of bearings. The Abu Garcia 100U is a pretty good reel too.

Iowaboy

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 24, 2005, 03:52 PM »
Have a few expensive Shimanos and love them. Picked up a couple of Zebco Slab Seekers at BassPro last winter. The drag isn't quite as good as the more expensive reels but more than adequate for the panfishing I do and surprisingly smooth. Best part is that the spool has 2 settings buttons for going back to the same depth. Usually set one on the bottom, then when a fish strikes while working the column you set the other one so you can get back to the exact depth of the strike. Never had a problem with it in the cold. A gimmick? Probably, but one that seems to work and I like. Drawback? A tad bit large (it's a light not ultra-light) but OK and only one spool. $17. Swapped over completely to them for this season. Saving the Shimanos for panfish and smallies in open water.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.