The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Help with Auger: Am I missing a spring?  (Read 17733 times)

Offline CamoHunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
Help with Auger: Am I missing a spring?
« on: Dec 09, 2012, 07:08 PM »
I've got a 2hp Strikemaster Lazer Mag Express. TC300 3219J is the model #.  I'm trying to figure out if I'm missing a spring or something.  It starts, runs, and everything is great except it doesn't always return to idle well and the auger continues to slowly spin sometimes.  I'm wondering if I'm missing a spring or something else that isn't pulling my throttle back to idle the way it should.  I attached a couple pictures, one with an arrow where I think a spring would connect to the throttle shaft/shutter. Could someone take a look at theirs for me and let me know if you have any ideas for me? 
Thanks!

Offline shanedoe

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Help with Auger: Am I missing a spring?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 09, 2012, 07:12 PM »
No spring goes there

Offline CamoHunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 09, 2012, 07:22 PM »
Thanks, any other ideas why it doesn't go all the way back to idle?  I sometimes have to move that throttle lever by hand to close the carburetor shutter, to get it down to idle.  Is there another spring somewhere else that might be weak?

Offline Ty

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 09, 2012, 09:03 PM »
it sounds like the linkage is sticking or binding somewhere, try taking the linkage off of the carb and moving it by hand to see if it binds anywhere, also do the same thing with the carb its self.

Offline shanedoe

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 09, 2012, 09:24 PM »
Still got the small return spring on top of the carb?

Offline Duncan77

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 09, 2012, 09:42 PM »
I would bet the wind vane / air vane is broken.
Don't try to change me, my wife said that's her job.

Offline shanedoe

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 09, 2012, 09:56 PM »
If vane is broken then engine will be turning very high rpm's at full throttle.

Offline Duncan77

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 09, 2012, 10:07 PM »
I thought that as well. on my old Strikemaster lazer it would run at High speed and then some times it would turn the auger slow my vane was broken just right that it would do strange things needless to say I replaced the vane and the problem went away.

Offline CamoHunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 09, 2012, 10:08 PM »
Thanks guys.  I took the carburetor off and I cleaned it out yesterday.  But this is not a new issue from that.  It's been like this for a while.  Anyways, the air vane is fine.
Here's a couple more pictures to see if they help at all:

This is what my carburetor looks like.  shanedoe, the spring (#2) was bent up a year ago when I had it apart.  Is this the spring you're referring to? Or the spring connected to the air vane in the bottom picture?  I'll probably order a new "Throttle return Spring", part #2 in the below parts diagram since I know that got messed up last year.  I just can't see how that spring does very much, but maybe it does.  If you know more about it, could you explain what that spring does?

And here is where the governor spring connects to the air vane.  The air vane seems fine, but I suppose its possible it could be bent or something.  Is that one of the main pieces that is supposed to assist in closing the throttle lever/shutter? 
This connector spring seems to be fine also, and seems to only affect pulling the throttle shaft/shutter open to increase power.  Doesn't seem to have anything to do with letting off throttle back to idle.

Offline CamoHunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 09, 2012, 10:11 PM »
Duncan77, was your air vane broken, or just bent?  Maybe mine is bent or something where it doesn't catch the air as well from the flywheel to return the throttle shaft/shutter closed?

Offline Duncan77

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 09, 2012, 10:18 PM »
I had Jason at strikemaster fix it for me. strikemaster was just 8 miles away from my house until they were taken over by rapala now they are 25 miles away. Call 1-877-572-7278 ask for jason I think he will help you out.

Offline shanedoe

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 09, 2012, 10:35 PM »
Camo, that little spring acts like a push/pull on the carb(opens and closes). It also allows the carb to close when auger rpm's get too high(the governing). If this spring was damaged at one time it might need replaced.

Offline CamoHunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 10, 2012, 08:43 AM »
Which spring are you talking about?  #2 on the carb, or the one attached to the air vane?

Offline shanedoe

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 10, 2012, 03:13 PM »
The one on the air vane

Offline shanedoe

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Dec 10, 2012, 03:53 PM »
Here is a little experiment. Without engine running open throttle all way. Then let it off. That little spring connected to the vane should have enough pressure to close throttle back up. If not maybe bad spring or something is gumming it up. It is very sensitive.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #15 on: Dec 10, 2012, 06:29 PM »
Have you had this auger for a while or did you just get it?  If you had it for a few seasons how did it run last year?  One thing that could be causing your problem is the idle speed could be set too high.  The one think you have going for you is your motor is a Teucumsen (not sure I spelled it right) motor and any small engine shop could work on it since it was an extremely popular motor when it was made.

Offline CamoHunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 10, 2012, 06:50 PM »
shanedoe, that spring attached to my air vane isn't long enough to return the throttle shaft/shutter closed.  Maybe the spring has shortened up? But that doesn't make much sense.  Should I try to stretch it a little so it's longer to return the air vane back to idle position? 

I just ordered a few parts since they were only a few bucks per part, so I'll try a few of them when they come in.
Ordered a new governor spring (the one attached to the air vane), a throttle return spring (#2 on the carburetor), and a new air vane.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic

Offline shanedoe

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Dec 10, 2012, 08:07 PM »
Camo, also make sure the aluminum slide thing that the vane spring is connected to is sliding back and fourth freely. Little wd40 always helps. Everything must move smooth. Replacing the two springs is a step in the right direction.  A process of eliminating things that could be the problem.

Offline CamoHunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 10, 2012, 09:23 PM »
Thanks for the repair manual Chris.  I had a copy, but the pictures in my copy were pretty poor quality for some reason.  If when I replace some of the parts it still isn't going how I want, I'll take a video of some of the parts and what its doing to see if anyone has any other ideas.  There's not too much else involved with this though, so I think I'm heading in the right direction eliminating possibilities as shanedoe said.  Thanks for all the ideas and assistance so far fellas!  It's usable as it is, just think it needs some small fixes and adjustments to make it right.

Offline CamoHunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Dec 12, 2012, 07:19 PM »
Good news!  It's working like new again!  The main problem must have been the governor spring.  Mine might have been stretched or something, but getting the correct spring and new air vane, and placing the spring in the correct hole on the air vane seemed to solve the idling problems.  But while I was at it, I replaced the throttle return spring.  I also replaced the fuel line, but that was a different issue, since the old one was beginning to show it's age. 
Glad I got it nice and tuned up now though, and ready to hit the ice!
Thanks for the ideas and help with possible solutions!  ;D

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #21 on: Dec 12, 2012, 10:58 PM »
I'm glad you got it working and to help.  Good luck with it.

Offline Oilcan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 17, 2013, 04:48 PM »
Here's a link to the shop repair manual.

http://ebookbrowse.com/tecumseh-service-repair-manual-2-cycle-tc-tm-tc200-tc300-engines-694782-pdf-d328614568

Dude, that repair manual is great! Wish I had that sooner but am still happy to get it.

I just took mine apart and found a piece of the old weave type diaphragm stuck in the main jet. No idea how it got in there but sure explains why it wouldn't run right!

Offline chopper72

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2015, 04:17 PM »
Hey would anybody be able to share the shop manual for this auger?  I am having similar problems.  Is the return spring on the bottom of the carb supposed to do something mine just stays put.

Thanks

Offline chopper72

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2015, 04:18 PM »
trying to get to three posts!

Offline chopper72

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2015, 04:19 PM »
ttt

Offline CamoHunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2015, 08:48 AM »
Sent you a message to your inbox.

Offline Dave_CT

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Jun 05, 2018, 10:45 AM »
A quick point on an old thread but I hope it may be useful to someone.  Make sure the governor spring is installed correctly.  I picked up a used StrikeMaster that wouldn't accelerate, stay at WOT and/or surged like crazy.  Put in a new vane and spring, rebuilt carb, changed out carb all without a lot of success.  Finally noticed that the vane spring was installed upside down (I had diligently followed suit with all my disassembly/re-assemblies).  When the spring is installed upside down it binds and/or will not go to WOT.  Flipped it around and problem solved.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.