Author Topic: Power Pro line  (Read 4273 times)

Offline Trophy Hunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Power Pro line
« on: Dec 16, 2004, 06:55 PM »
Has anyone used power pro line any info on this line would be awesome!I'm thinking of trying it this winter.

Offline Tautog Rich

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Power Pro line
« Reply #1 on: Dec 18, 2004, 06:31 AM »
I am new to hardwater so you might have to take my observations with a grain of Salt Lite, but, having said that, understand that I bridge fish for striped bass and have landed fish of 50 lbs(using a bridge gaff to bring them up), have professionally guided and tied flies commercially, so I am not a babe in the woods entirely. Power Pro is a great line for spinning in the surf, or for open water casting in the lakes. It is so strong, it will cut thru non-ceramic or Titanium Nitride Guides(very special saltwater guides that are very nearly actualy bulletproof, but very heavy in weight, believe it or not).  It is NOT for use with handlines, and you should NOT attempt to fight a fish via handline with it. One slip, and if it cuts thru the tendons of your hands, you may find your fishing days severely curtailed. If you use it on ice, you should also be aware that one night bridge fishing, back when I tried it, there was rime ice on the bridge pilings and the line touched it. Though the bass was only 20 lbs or so, it popped like nothing! I went back to dacron so I could handline short bass up the bridge. Superlines are hell on guides and flesh, great for fine diameter work, so judge for yourself if it's for you. Just be careful handling a fish with it. I have used Fireline, and it seemed less likely to take a shot from structure than the Power Pro (blackfishing on wrecks), though you should judge for yourself. I use a High Power Anti-abrasion Stren for blackfish over barnacles now, and even with the line partially shredded it is still strong, so I might try Stren to see how it handles ice.

Offline slabby

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 18, 2004, 06:38 AM »
Power Pro has a new ICE LINE,I went to BassPro in Auburn,NY last night,not stocked
there as of yet,but Cabelas does have it on line in the ice fishing section,7.99 a box
I believe,hope this helps,I NEED ICE!!!!!!!!
SLABBY 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
Born To Fish Forced To Work

iceman480

« Reply #3 on: Jan 01, 2005, 04:13 PM »
I haven't used it through the ice but I use it for Bass fishing in open water and I like it alot Iused to use fireline but compared to power pro it is junk just my opinion

Offline saskfish

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 03, 2005, 04:42 PM »
Used it all summer to pull big pike out of the cabbage weeds and loved it.  Never had a break off.  I just ordered three new spools from Cabelas.  One for me, my wife , and my brother.  I'm sick of them losing my bucktails!

Offline gunner1

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #5 on: Mar 15, 2005, 07:39 PM »
Used it all summer to pull big pike out of the cabbage weeds and loved it.  Never had a break off.  I just ordered three new spools from Cabelas.  One for me, my wife , and my brother.  I'm sick of them losing my bucktails!

Would you say it is better than Spiderwire Stealth?

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #6 on: Mar 15, 2005, 09:39 PM »

i just switched to 10lb spiderwire stealth from 8lb PP ice line, and i like the SS just because it is smoother with a bit more body - it  lays nicely on the spool and doesnt tend to get caught on the edge of the hole when fighting large fish.

Offline gunner1

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #7 on: Mar 16, 2005, 04:21 AM »

i just switched to 10lb spiderwire stealth from 8lb PP ice line, and i like the SS just because it is smoother with a bit more body - it  lays nicely on the spool and doesnt tend to get caught on the edge of the hole when fighting large fish.

How about for open water fishing?

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Mar 16, 2005, 08:27 AM »

Its OK, but it tends to wrap around the tip of the rod frequently, PP is def. better for open water.

Offline gunner1

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #9 on: Mar 16, 2005, 06:25 PM »

Its OK, but it tends to wrap around the tip of the rod frequently, PP is def. better for open water.

You mean better than the spiderwire, right?

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Mar 18, 2005, 11:13 AM »
yes

Offline gunner1

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #11 on: Mar 18, 2005, 11:19 AM »
yes

Great! Maybe I'll give it a try this  year. I replace my line every year anyway so...

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12 on: Mar 18, 2005, 03:16 PM »
with the new low diameter superbraids they can last up to 3 seasons of abuse for some people.

Offline reubenpa

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Mar 18, 2005, 03:28 PM »
Thanks for the report Lance, I was thinking about trying power pro because I can get it really cheap.  I like the look and specs of it.  I think I might start out with one spool of it, and maybe move to more eventually.  The lakes are so clear here that it makes me nervous.  I won't get the big spool, but I can get 1500 yd spool of powerpro for 80-100 bucks!!!!   

Offline Tombo

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #14 on: Mar 18, 2005, 09:51 PM »
Just adding my .02 cts guys-I have used powerpro ice line for a couple of seasons now and find it very strong(it does tend to fray a little when you're trying to get that big pikes head started in the hole but,has never broken and I simply cut off the end foot or two and retye my leader).Now for the bad part--I don't like using it outside on cold days--it seems to carry a lot of water,when this freezes you have ice on the line. It works fine in the shack or outside in above freezing weather. also don't like it on very light jigs(even the real thin dia. stuff) I find it wants to float and is slow getting the jig down. Just my opinion,for what it's worth. :)

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #15 on: Mar 18, 2005, 10:44 PM »
reuben - the whole line visibility thing is something to experiment with - in my experience it doesnt make a great big difference, but if i REALLY need a bite, i will throw a flouro leader on there, esp. for trout species...when jigging bigger gamefish, i like to use a mono leader anyway to absorb the severe shock that big fish can deliver.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.