Author Topic: My Homemade $15 Sled! AKA The "Smitty Sled"  (Read 819555 times)

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: My Homemade $15 Sled!
« Reply #30 on: Jan 27, 2009, 09:38 AM »
great sled man!!!!!!!!!! thanks for the idea

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Jan 27, 2009, 09:42 AM »
I have a very similar one that I made a couple of years ago.  Only difference is mine is a little longer with two plastic milk crates mounted at the back.   Much easier to pull in the snow and stops the bottom of the shanty from waring out when pulling in on the ice.

Offline Hando

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Jan 27, 2009, 01:57 PM »
You just made my Viking Shanty (pretty similar to the Shappell) useful again!  I hated pulling that thing around but this sled is easy!  I have been hanging onto a pair of skis just for a design like his!  Thanks for sharing!
"3/4 of the Earth's surface is water, and 1/4 is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn."

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Build A Smitty Sled.......it's a back & lung saver
« Reply #33 on: Jan 28, 2009, 09:35 AM »
Thanks for all the nice comments. I hope I can help with any other questions anyone might have. Smitty
[email protected] if you don't have a FB account.....or search "The Original Smitty Sled" on FB....thank you

Offline willbe66

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Jan 28, 2009, 10:29 AM »
That would be great, alot of ice along the way to fish! Hope you get your skis and start building. Smitty

This is a great sled. I built one yesterday. Thanks for sharing.
Mel

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Jan 29, 2009, 09:04 AM »
I'm glad I could inspire you willbe! Smitty
[email protected] if you don't have a FB account.....or search "The Original Smitty Sled" on FB....thank you

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Jan 29, 2009, 07:20 PM »
Pulled my new shanty out yesterday morning in an inch of snow and back in about 8 inches...i am building one Saturday for my Sunday outing!
Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,
Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Jan 30, 2009, 01:11 AM »
I guarantee you will like it alot! Smitty

Offline Grumpyoldman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Jan 30, 2009, 02:46 PM »
I like your design. How are the bolts that extend down from the two crossmembers attached to the wood? Do the bolts extend down through the wood and through the ski and have a nut on the bottom to secure it? Or is it friction fit? 

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Jan 30, 2009, 05:02 PM »
OK....bought all the stuff this afternoon at Lowe's (along with a buddy heater at half off!). Total cost was $38 including tax and 4 tee nuts.

Two questions

I see your eyebolts are both on the side...any logic to one set on the sides and one set front and back?

How wide apart?

Thanks!

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Jan 30, 2009, 09:43 PM »
OK....bought all the stuff this afternoon at Lowe's (along with a buddy heater at half off!). Total cost was $38 including tax and 4 tee nuts.

Two questions

I see your eyebolts are both on the side...any logic to one set on the sides and one set front and back?

How wide apart?

Thanks!
I use a bungee cord on front and back of the sled to keep everything in place while towing(see pic on 1st page), the eye bolts are probably 3ft apart. I think my bungee cords are 3ft long and work perfectly over all my gear.

Offline Hando

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Jan 30, 2009, 09:52 PM »
Well Smitty, I feel better now that I re-read your post as I finished a copy of your sled tonight and I timed myself because I had it in my head that I could do it in 15 minutes...but now I realized it was a $15 sled!  Still it only took me 1 hour 45 minutes to build the whole thing and that is without a fancy wood shop and only using power hand tools.  Lucky for me I had everything on hand so basically it was easy to complete.  I am taking her for a trial run tomorrow morning and will try and take a few pictures with everyting loaded up. 
"3/4 of the Earth's surface is water, and 1/4 is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn."

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Jan 31, 2009, 08:17 AM »
I hope it works out great for you. I know it will be alot better to pull you stuff. Yesterday we put 2 shantys on mine and the rest of our stuff for 4 guys and walked 2 miles out to where we had to fish and had no problems with it. Smitty

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Jan 31, 2009, 08:28 AM »
I like your design. How are the bolts that extend down from the two crossmembers attached to the wood? Do the bolts extend down through the wood and through the ski and have a nut on the bottom to secure it? Or is it friction fit? 
The bolts act like pins down into the 2 x 4's, nothing is bolted together, that's why setup/takedown is so easy without tools. Yes it is a friction fit. Smitty

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Jan 31, 2009, 05:28 PM »
Just finished it.......looks like it will work perfect.

For anyone who is or used to be a skier........I used a pair of Volkl P9 skis which used to be top of the line prior to the shaped skis.....i bought em used for $150 years ago and never used them once....not sure if it kills me to use them for this or if i am happy i finally used them at all!

Offline TrekJeff

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Jan 31, 2009, 05:33 PM »
Very Cool.  That can even be done for my H2O sled.  I'll have to remember to put those old XC skis on the list for when I head up to the cabin to pick up my fish finder.  Going to make it portable for fishing hardwater ;D
"For those who have fought for it, Freedom has a taste the protected will never know"

Offline Hando

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Jan 31, 2009, 09:17 PM »
I hope it works out great for you. I know it will be alot better to pull you stuff. Yesterday we put 2 shantys on mine and the rest of our stuff for 4 guys and walked 2 miles out to where we had to fish and had no problems with it. Smitty

Well today I put one shanty and one 5 yr. old on my new sled! :laugh:  Things worked out great and as long as you have bungees you can pack whatever you want!  Thanks again for the idea Smitty!

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #47 on: Feb 01, 2009, 05:31 AM »
Hando, it looks great, I hope you had fun on the ice, I know your 5 yr. old did with her free ride. As far as bungees go...I have 2 pretty heavy duty bungees that are about 3ft in length and stretch over everything nicely front and back to the eye bolts. Smitty

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #48 on: Feb 01, 2009, 05:39 AM »
i think everyone loves this project!!!! excellent job and thanks for sharing it!
                                                                                          trap

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #49 on: Feb 01, 2009, 08:56 AM »
very nice!
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline Hando

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #50 on: Feb 01, 2009, 09:11 AM »
Hando, it looks great, I hope you had fun on the ice, I know your 5 yr. old did with her free ride. As far as bungees go...I have 2 pretty heavy duty bungees that are about 3ft in length and stretch over everything nicely front and back to the eye bolts. Smitty

Yes Smitty I have the two big bungee cords holding the shanty down which is the key to providing that stable base.  After that I just bungee'd everything else on top of it...including the Barbie Princess chair for the little one up front!  She thought that was the coolest!  I also drag her out on my Genz Trap but she sits backwards and on this trip she was riding in style!  One little piece I added if you can pick it out in the back was a metal milk crate.  That was great for all the nick-knacks you can't bungee down directly (scoop, tackle box, bucket seat, rod holders, etc...).

Offline TrekJeff

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Feb 01, 2009, 10:01 AM »
WOW, I havn't seen a pick up bed pack with that much stuff on opening weekend of deer season..Very nice!
"For those who have fought for it, Freedom has a taste the protected will never know"

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #52 on: Feb 02, 2009, 07:04 AM »
Broke mine in yesterday with a 2 mile (at least) tow behind an ATV out to laker country on lake george........it handled all of the ruts, slush etc and performed like a champ.

Led me to my first laker on a jig rod....nice fat 26" fish along with 4 on the tipups and another one jigging......thanks!!

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #53 on: Feb 02, 2009, 12:02 PM »
Broke mine in yesterday with a 2 mile (at least) tow behind an ATV out to laker country on lake george........it handled all of the ruts, slush etc and performed like a champ.

Led me to my first laker on a jig rod....nice fat 26" fish along with 4 on the tipups and another one jigging......thanks!!
I knew this sled would help you out, however, I can't gaurantee it will help you catch fish. Glad I could help you. Smitty

Offline maineduckhunter

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Stop Bucket Biologist and Kill ALL Maine Pike!!!
« Reply #54 on: Feb 02, 2009, 12:30 PM »
That's sweet.....way to recycle those old straight skiis...... :thumbsup:

Offline mullen2525

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #55 on: Feb 02, 2009, 03:44 PM »
our version....pulls like a dream

Offline willbe66

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #56 on: Feb 03, 2009, 07:48 AM »
I'm glad I could inspire you willbe! Smitty

Used my new sled on lake yesterday in 6 to 8 inches of snow. worked great.
Thanks again.
Mel
Mel

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #57 on: Feb 03, 2009, 09:28 AM »

Thanks again.
Mel

Small world Mel......i live in Albany but hunt down your way in Dalton / Nunda.......on Wood Road.

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #58 on: Feb 03, 2009, 11:52 AM »

Thanks again.
Mel
[/quote
Willbe, I'm glad you like it. It suprising that this thing works so good deep snow or not. Smitty

Offline northwestslayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • gone and fishin
« Reply #59 on: Feb 03, 2009, 02:16 PM »
I'm jealous. I have the ski's but haven't gotten around to building it yet..Nice work

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.