Author Topic: My Homemade $15 Sled! AKA The "Smitty Sled"  (Read 821202 times)

Offline Elrik

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: My Homemade $15 Sled! AKA The "Smitty Sled"
« Reply #1500 on: Jan 19, 2017, 09:15 AM »
Yup, could not see pics, can you repost them here?

Without pictures, basically it was a castor mounted to a square wood sandwich. You slip one on either end of the ski and then have them clip to each other with a length of chain/cable to keep the rear one from slipping off. Should take a minute or less to install all four on the skis and gives you wheels for pulling on hard surfaces with your regular rope, and gets completely out of the way without taking up much storage space once you are on the white stuff.

Offline Hardwater Problem

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1501 on: Jan 19, 2017, 03:37 PM »
I've had thoughts of making a big box like that but adding an Ontario style shanty on top, then I'll have a place to fish from instead of out in the elements, and also have all my gear covered.
Exactly what I did a few years back...  still use it.  I made the sides tall enough for 5 gallon buckets to sit upright inside.  The Ontario shacks are nice but I hated taking everything in and out before moving it around.  Mine is shown here with wheels that come on and off, but it now has runners.  It is nice, I use my coleman lantern for both light and heat, and when I am done, I put it inside an old metal bucket and can fold the shack sides down without worrying about melting anything.  I can leave my finder and gear all in the bottom and it's ready the for the next time I go out.  I have the pole holders and the skimmers all mounted inside so I literally just pull the ceiling brace drop the sides and put it on the trailer to leave.  No teardown or reorganization.  You can fish right up to when you have to leave.  When I get home, I leave it on the trailer and put the sides up to let it dry out and pull any essential gear out there.  If it was lighter or I had a four wheeler, I probably wouldn't have built a wheelhouse.  Weight is an issue.  My friends call mine the "Green Giant".  It's only a two person job if there is a lot of snow, otherwise I can take it nearly anywhere on the ice by myself.
IF YOU CAN'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, GO GET IN FRONT OF THEM!!!     

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • STAND FOR THE FLAG, KNEEL FOR THE CROSS
« Reply #1502 on: Jan 19, 2017, 04:17 PM »
That is exactly what I had in mind. I use a 2 man clam flipover now that has one seat, best one man flipover  I've owned, yours will offer much more elbow room, less time packing up, more head room. I don't care about weight as I use a snowmobile. Thanks for the pic.

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1503 on: Jan 19, 2017, 07:41 PM »
If someone can give me a simplified guide to posting pix on this site I'll give it a go.
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1504 on: Jan 19, 2017, 07:55 PM »
If someone can give me a simplified guide to posting pix on this site I'll give it a go.

Find another website that folks call an "image hosting" site.. Do not use photo bucket it is riddled with issues.. You upload the pictures there, then copy a code, and paste it in your reply, after you post the picture will show..

<°)))>{

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1505 on: Jan 19, 2017, 08:03 PM »
Anyone make a Smitty with 3 skis? Two in back and one in front that pivots to steer. Started looking at wooden bobsleds on the net and there some ideas from photos I have found. Still needs to be portable,  though.

Something like this but wider.

jbird68

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Build A Smitty Sled.......it's a back & lung saver
« Reply #1506 on: Jan 21, 2017, 08:44 AM »
Anyone make a Smitty with 3 skis? Two in back and one in front that pivots to steer. Started looking at wooden bobsleds on the net and there some ideas from photos I have found. Still needs to be portable,  though.

Something like this but wider.

(Image removed from quote.)

You got me thinking Jbird......
[email protected] if you don't have a FB account.....or search "The Original Smitty Sled" on FB....thank you

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1507 on: Jan 21, 2017, 05:56 PM »
I've thought about something like this for some time now. Only because my skis are long and don't turn very well in the snow. The edges of the skis just drag sideways. But I don't want something that is tippy when you put a sled and gear on it.
jbird68

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #1508 on: Jan 22, 2017, 09:10 AM »
I've thought about something like this for some time now. Only because my skis are long and don't turn very well in the snow. The edges of the skis just drag sideways. But I don't want something that is tippy when you put a sled and gear on it.

Even if you have a single on the front the back ski's are still going to drag sideways while turning. They would have to be small and then they wont slide very good.
<===Lefty===

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • STAND FOR THE FLAG, KNEEL FOR THE CROSS
« Reply #1509 on: Jan 22, 2017, 09:40 AM »
You might have to have 4 ski's under it, and the fronts hooked together like a horse drawn sleigh so you can steer it.

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1510 on: Jan 22, 2017, 04:44 PM »
Shortening the skis would reduce the surface area riding on top of the snow. It's just something I have encountered while using my Smitty sled.  I don't think a single ski would work up front but two skis that are not as wide as the back skis to aid in steering might work. Maybe used snowmobile skis up front because they actually have a little up curve to the edges. I don't know. I like my Smitty sled in the snow. Just trying to think of a way to help with steering.
jbird68

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #1511 on: Jan 23, 2017, 06:30 AM »
The only way to relieve the drag on the front is to make a large turning motion. if I gradually turn it isn't near as bad. On the other hand if you at a place already and plan to go home or back the way you came ,it would be better to turn your ski's around before loading them up with everything.
<===Lefty===

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1512 on: Jan 23, 2017, 10:08 AM »
The only way to relieve the drag on the front is to make a large turning motion. if I gradually turn it isn't near as bad. On the other hand if you at a place already and plan to go home or back the way you came ,it would be better to turn your ski's around before loading them up with everything.

X2..   Thats the way I do it too...

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1513 on: Jan 23, 2017, 10:31 AM »
For tight spots, I just chinch up on the rope near the front, lift up the front and re point it..

<°)))>{

Offline tomturkey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1514 on: Jan 23, 2017, 11:48 AM »
For tight spots, I just chinch up on the rope near the front, lift up the front and re point it..

<°)))>{

Same here.

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1515 on: Jan 23, 2017, 11:55 AM »

<°)))>{

X3 here......keep the tips coming guys.......tight lines
[email protected] if you don't have a FB account.....or search "The Original Smitty Sled" on FB....thank you

Offline Kobey

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1516 on: Jan 25, 2017, 07:49 AM »
So far mine has worked great with eyebolts in the front of the skis using a drawbar behind a wheeler.  My girlfriend has still been giving it a workout, loading it with bales of hay and buckets of feed, and it's still going strong.  If I ever find a good hosting site, I'll try to post a few pics.

My only complaint is that Smitty sleds are becoming so popular that it's getting harder to find old skis at a reasonable price.  Wish I had gone to some garage sales during the summer.

Offline AriettaBob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1517 on: Jan 25, 2017, 08:43 AM »
I just ordered my kit. So excited! I've been using skis permanently attached to my jet sled but now also have an Eskimo quick flip 1. The Smitty Sled will let me move back and forth between the 2 depending on whether my girlfriend fishes with me or I'm alone. Thanks Smitty!!!

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1518 on: Jan 25, 2017, 10:26 AM »
I just ordered my kit. So excited! I've been using skis permanently attached to my jet sled but now also have an Eskimo quick flip 1. The Smitty Sled will let me move back and forth between the 2 depending on whether my girlfriend fishes with me or I'm alone. Thanks Smitty!!!
It's in the mail.......thank you for the purchase.......I'll be here for any questions you may have.......tight lines

Offline sincityrednek

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1519 on: Jan 26, 2017, 08:35 AM »
I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Nemo me impune lacessit

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #1520 on: Jan 26, 2017, 10:38 AM »

If I ever find a good hosting site, I'll try to post a few pics.

It may not be good but, it's caveman easy.    That'll be 'tinypic.com'.   

Resize before uploading to the second from largest size, then, just bring back the img code.      ;)2

Offline dtour

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1521 on: Jan 28, 2017, 02:54 PM »
I just made my first Smitty sled.  It pulls like a dream!  Here's a pic of its maiden voyage:

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1522 on: Jan 29, 2017, 09:03 AM »
Looks great dtour.....are you pulling by hand? Appears it may be a little heavy with that diamond plate box on it......wait, it's a "Smitty"......load it up.....tight lines

Offline dtour

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1523 on: Jan 30, 2017, 12:12 PM »
Looks great dtour.....are you pulling by hand? Appears it may be a little heavy with that diamond plate box on it......wait, it's a "Smitty"......load it up.....tight lines

I am pulling by hand.  The toolbox is aluminum so its actually pretty light.  It was just laying around in the garage, so I turned it into seating.  I made up some cushions for the top, added some cupholders in the middle and put some old hockey pucks on the bottom to keep it off the ground.  Works great, plus I can store my gear in it as well.

Offline AriettaBob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1524 on: Jan 30, 2017, 05:50 PM »
My kit arrived a few days ago, thanks for the super fast shipping, Smitty. The build should happen this week, but I have an initial question. My plan is to build it as is for hauling around my quickflip 1 when I'm alone. I had a thought to also make a wider platform by drilling longer 2X4's in order to hold my full kit when I have other people with me. Here's the question, do I keep the skis at the same width and canteliver the 2X4's to the outside in order to gain the width I need or do I spread the skis out that much further? I'm wondering if anyone has seen a difference in pulling ease with it either wide or normal width.

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1525 on: Jan 30, 2017, 07:12 PM »
My kit arrived a few days ago, thanks for the super fast shipping, Smitty. The build should happen this week, but I have an initial question. My plan is to build it as is for hauling around my quickflip 1 when I'm alone. I had a thought to also make a wider platform by drilling longer 2X4's in order to hold my full kit when I have other people with me. Here's the question, do I keep the skis at the same width and canteliver the 2X4's to the outside in order to gain the width I need or do I spread the skis out that much further? I'm wondering if anyone has seen a difference in pulling ease with it either wide or normal width.
Wider will give you more stabilty........you are still pulling 2 skis no matter what, you will have the same amount of drag.......post a pic when you get it put together......tight lines

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1526 on: Jan 30, 2017, 07:52 PM »

Measure a few 4 wheelers and that should give you the best width.. Sometimes you can follow tracks to make a walk easier...

Good luck..

<°)))>{

Offline AriettaBob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1527 on: Jan 30, 2017, 09:00 PM »
Thanks for the tip. Great idea with the 4wheeler tire width. Pics will be coming.

Offline stpaul216612

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1528 on: Jan 30, 2017, 11:42 PM »
Borrowing from many of the designs on this epic thread, I have crafted my own very fine Smitty Sled.  I have a Clam sixpack which is quite large.  I wanted a dedicated space on the sled to toss it on and lash it down.  Also I had no pre-existing jetsled or otter to attach to the top so I crafted my own lightweight box. Everything stays true to the tool-less assembly/disassembly model, the box attaches with two torsion straps to the eye-bolts on the struts.

Amazing thread guys, glad to be a part of it and a big thanks to Smitty!

MB

Offline AriettaBob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1529 on: Jan 31, 2017, 04:51 AM »
Very well done, StPaul. I'd like to see the box packed and how you organized it. Lots you could do there.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.