Author Topic: Lantern: LED vs Fluorescent  (Read 3876 times)

Offline jr_the_dj

• Team IceShanty Regular
Lantern: LED vs Fluorescent
« on: Nov 24, 2006, 03:34 PM »
I want to purches a lantern for in the shanty this year, I was checking out Ebay and saw two different kinds of lanterns...The LED kind which looks like it would be a great buy. But I have always used a fluorescent style. The fluorescents have an issue when it gets really cold. I have never seen a LED in action does it work well?

So can anyone shed some light on this? ;D ;D

Jiffy Ice Drills Pro-Staff
Aqua Vu Pro-Staff
HT Enterprises Pro-Staff
PK Lures Pro-Staff

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Fanatic! >))))>
Re: Lantern: LED vs Fluorescent
« Reply #1 on: Nov 24, 2006, 04:02 PM »

I had checked the Browning LED lantern a few years ago ... here's a link : Lantern Review

I hope this helps in choosing.  ;)

Those who are brave are free ..

Offline jr_the_dj

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 24, 2006, 04:11 PM »
I had checked the Browning LED lantern a few years ago ... here's a link : Lantern Review

I hope this helps in choosing.  ;)

Thanks, that does help a little, I think I may go with the LED, for the brightnes and battery life....Now to find one that will put up with my fishing partner kicking it every time he leaves the shack ;D
Jiffy Ice Drills Pro-Staff
Aqua Vu Pro-Staff
HT Enterprises Pro-Staff
PK Lures Pro-Staff

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Fanatic! >))))>
« Reply #3 on: Nov 24, 2006, 05:16 PM »

You're welcome.  ;)  I find most of the time I'm fine with my LED haedlamp. If I don't want to wear it I loop the strap over a pole and push the lamp back thru the strap and it hangs fine. If I'm checking tip ups and such I find the LED lantern to work great.
I don't think you'll have a problem with durability ... so far mine has had "0" problems. Good luck !  ;D

Those who are brave are free ..

Offline fish4walleye

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Shut up and fish
« Reply #4 on: Jan 15, 2008, 09:22 AM »
Was thinking about a new lantern purchase and hoping somebody's got some insight since the original post,the lonewolf link/review goes back a few years(2004) any fresh reviews about the LED's that are currently out there,good,bad,ugly? glass globes and hard water + a few foot drop just don't mix,Thanks,Mark

Offline RealityCheck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 15, 2008, 06:16 PM »
A L.E.D. is a light emitting diode.  A fluorescent light has to heat gas is the light bulb tube in order to work.  So let me break it down to language we all can understand.  The LED uses a circuit to make the light.  Fluorescent uses gas to make light.  The gas doesn't like to work at low temps.  You achieve full brightness when the gas warms up.  The downside to LED is when the battery goes low.....the light flickers or turns of rather quickly.  I have chosen the LED for work.  I am always in crawlspaces and attics.  I have dropped my LED flashlight to many times to remember.  I have the Cabela's 3 watt Luxeon hyper L.E.D. hand held flashlight.  It is similar to the mini mag light in size.....but the brightness has no comparison for any other flashlight of that size.  If you look at the light during the day outside in the sun, it hurts your eyes.  This light is the  next generation in L.E.D. flashlights...that is my 2 cents for what it is worth. :thumbsup:
Bullet with a name on it.

Offline mcully

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 16, 2008, 09:10 AM »
Love my LED flashlight and my next lantern will be the same

Offline fish4walleye

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Shut up and fish
« Reply #7 on: Jan 16, 2008, 12:44 PM »
Thanks for the replys,will be lookin to buy an LED lantern shortly

Offline toadhunter2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 24, 2008, 07:26 PM »
i have led headlamps and flash lite for checking tipups and picking up at the end of the night and in my shack i have 2 led rope lights that run of 3 AA batteries they are nice because they wrap around the poles on my flip over frabil one on the front bar by the door and one on the rear and when i collapse it down they stay in place plus put off more than enough lite for night fishing in the shack plus save space  ;)
early mornings,cold north winds,hard ice,good friends and cold high life..FLAG UP!.priceless

Offline copperjohn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 25, 2008, 10:40 AM »
Just bought a 24 LED "UFO" light from Sportsman's Warehouse.  Made By HT, uses 4 AA batt.s.  Puts out whole latta Light and has a lower 4 LED setting.  Has two strong magnets on back which will hold on any steel pipe frame and also has a foldout ring on back to hang.  Very impressed especially for 9 bucks.
Gravity's B**ch On Hard Water

Offline Norman Schrader

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Born to fish
« Reply #10 on: Jan 25, 2008, 11:42 AM »
I found a neat LED latern that coleman makes fore backpackers that was small, did great in my 1 man Fish trap and cost under 10 bucks at Walmart.  It had plenty of light to see the rods and line and it runs on AA batteries which if you use alkalines will last about 70 hours.  It also has a sliding shield to either be omni directional or focused forward.
I also have the flourescent ones which are rechargeable and do work onece they have warmed up.  The only drawback I have seen to either of these lights has been that while they are great for lighting the tent, they don't throw enough light to attract the crapppie at night like the old Coleman or propane ones do.
I hope this helps.
Good luck.
Norm
Norman J. Schrader

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.