Author Topic: Sled Plans  (Read 7487 times)

bubblebass8

Sled Plans
« on: Jan 01, 2006, 12:11 PM »
Does anyone have any good plans for a good, light sled. I dont want any thing super heavy because i will be hand pulling. Thanks in advance.

bigdave1018

Re: Sled Plans
« Reply #1 on: Jan 01, 2006, 01:45 PM »
a lot of guys use those orange kid sleds and bungee cords their gear down. they tip real easy and you can limit this by getting a 2x2 about 4 ft long and use this to keep the sled from tipping. total price 20$ or less. hey it does the job.

bubblebass8

« Reply #2 on: Jan 01, 2006, 04:42 PM »
Thats what ive been using but something a little "nicer" would be nice. Something with like rod holders and stuff. Maybe just some mods for the kid sleds, like auger holders. Thanks.

Offline red_eyes

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FLAGG!!!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 01, 2006, 06:28 PM »
If you know sheetmetal work or know someone,make one to your specs outa 1/8" or 1/16". I may make one in shop that fits my auger nicely.just need to form it and rivet it togther, itll last for a long time, and the bottom wont wear like plastic sleds do.
Pain is temporary, trophies last forever

Offline TogueHunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 02, 2006, 05:19 PM »
Hey Bubblebass, I just finished making a new ultralight sled.  It's 25lbs and is basically a spruce 1"x1" frame covered with 1/8" Luan plywood and waterproofed.  If your handy with woodworking and have some basic power tools I can send you some detailed pics to show you how it's constructed.  I don't have any plans, and basically designed it in my head learning from 2 previous sleds that I had built.   I scarfed a pair of old downhill skis, and it pulls effortlessly, but I also built the front end like toboggan in case I get into some really deep snow it won't bog down.

I wanted something that would also provide a wind break, and would accommodate my propane heater.  I just love building things out of PVC pipe so that's what the frame of the windbreak is made out of, and breaks down so it all fits inside the sled.
PM me if you want to know any more about it. 
[MIG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v693/Bassman4940/Picture014.jpg[/img]

Are you SURE it's safe to walk on? Looks questionable to me!

Offline TogueHunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 02, 2006, 05:21 PM »
Oops, forgot to include a pic of it closed up.  ;)

Offline NorthwoodsIce

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 02, 2006, 05:33 PM »
great looking sled toguehunter! Is it safe to have the propane tank laying down like that, not want to see you get hurt, theres some nasty liquid in those tanks.
Welcome to the Northwoods! Grab a Leinenkugel's!

Offline TogueHunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 02, 2006, 06:27 PM »
Yeah it's safe.  I built a cradle that keeps the tank steady, and with both ends open there really isn't any heat built up inside, and never gets above room temperature. 
I tried it for the first time today and, kept a close eye on it and it was fine

Offline sturgeon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 10, 2006, 01:25 PM »
Nice Sled Togue hunter. How much does it way. I am looking to either build or buy something to pull around when I am alone. I have fish trap guide and it is a bull to push around alone.

Have you had a chance to pull it around in deep snow?

Sturgeon
Bad Day of Fishing is better than a good day of work!!!!

Offline fishdog1

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Live life in the outdoors.
« Reply #9 on: Jan 10, 2006, 04:14 PM »
Hey, Toguehunter I like that.  My neighbor made the sled I'm using. (I don't know how to insert pictures, and my kids are not here anymore).  He is 85 years old and stopped ice fishing some time ago. His sled was a chunck of counter top about 2 feet long and normal depth. The short skis have wooden brackets that hold the 'counter top' up like the old metal runner sleds. There are 2x4's screwed on for the sides, and the back (where the front of the counter is) is another 2x4 that one can take on and off.  This holds my duffle bag with the tip-ups and the handauger, my back pack, ice chisel, and 2 jig poles.  This thing is light and very mobile. I am thinking of redesigning it. I would like to have it a little wider and longer and try to rig up a tarp thing like Togue hunters. My thought is to stay light and portable, because I like to move around the lake like fishing on the soft water.
fishdog1

Offline TogueHunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 14, 2006, 06:11 PM »
It took awhile to figure out how to get it on the scale, but it weighs 35lbs dry.   No I haven't had a chance to pull it in deep snow, about 1ft is all we've had so far.  I went out with a friend who had a jet sled, and there was about 6" of snow on the ice.  My sled pulled noticeably easier, I think because the ski's have less surface area and they are super-slick being downhill skis.  I won't kid you, with all my gear and Jiffy auger on top it's still workin'!  :flex:   As soon as the ice gets thick enough, I'll use my snowmobile anyway so I tend to go much farther down the lake.

Offline RTF

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 25, 2006, 09:13 AM »
Here is one I just built. What do you think ?

Offline red_eyes

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FLAGG!!!!!!!
« Reply #12 on: Feb 26, 2006, 02:03 PM »
nice sled RTF, whats the dimensions on it.

Offline RTF

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 27, 2006, 05:00 AM »
nice sled RTF, whats the dimensions on it.

It's abot 2 feet wide and 3 feet long. Very light weight when empty. I pull from the front and the kid pushes from the back. Glides real well across the snow and ice. Not so god on dry ground though  :(

Offline PondPro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FISH ON!!!!!!!!FISH OFF.............
« Reply #14 on: Mar 02, 2006, 01:22 PM »
nice sled i bet it pulls easy with the snow boards under it.
Tom G :tipup:<br />

Offline RTF

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Mar 03, 2006, 11:34 AM »
nice sled i bet it pulls easy with the snow boards under it.

If it aint too heavy. Going down hill, you do not stand in front of it  ;D :D

Offline Thestanimal

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Learn How to Work Kid"
« Reply #16 on: Mar 03, 2006, 11:50 AM »
Good looking sled-need to make something better than the one I bought.  I like your design
"Hope is the last thing a person does before they are defeated"  -Henry Rollins

Offline red_eyes

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FLAGG!!!!!!!
« Reply #17 on: Mar 04, 2006, 06:33 PM »
anyone use a dogsled, seems like itd work real well.

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
« Reply #18 on: Mar 28, 2008, 06:27 AM »

T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.