Author Topic: Eagle Claw Fly Reel Review  (Read 4173 times)

Offline bpiatt

• Team IceShanty Addict
Eagle Claw Fly Reel Review
« on: Nov 06, 2012, 01:53 PM »
I got my Eagle Claw Fly Reels in the mail today and figured I would let everyone know what I think of them.

All numbers are based on a 1-10 scale.

Overall Fit and Finish- 8
Free Spool Capability- 9
Drag- 6
Noise Clicker- 5
Infinite Anti Reverse- 6
Braking- 6
Comfort- 7
Value- 10

These reels are not bad based on the fact that I only paid 15 dollars for them. The overall fit and finish is excellent, there are no scratches, dings, broken parts, or cosmetic flaws to speak of. The spool spins very, very freely, if you completely disengage the brake the spool will spin well over a minute when spun by hand. The bearings are seated properly and there is no rattling inside of the reel. I took it apart and the gears were properly greased and bearings were oiled from the manufacturer. The spool brake is is adjustable and gets the job done, it is basically a tiny piece of rubber on a threaded rod that can be screwed in or out with a knob. They could have done a better job on the noise clicker. There is no arrow showing which way to slide it and it takes a minute to figure out which way you need to slide it in order turn the clicker on or off. I was disappointed in the fact that if the clicker is on, it clicks while you reel it in as well as when drag is taken out. I would prefer the clicker to only engage when something tugs on the drag. The drag is very similar to what you would find on a baitcasting reel. It is a star drag and is smoother than what you would expect on a reel this cheap. There is a button on the handle that engages free spooling. It works well, it takes about half a revolution of the handle to engage the gears again. There is no backwards play in the handle but when you stop the handle there is a tiny amount of play in the spool. The spool can be moved about 1/8th a revolution backwards when the gears are engaged. Its not enough to cause any loops in your line and is more than what you would expect to find on a reel this cheap. This may be personal preference but I would have liked for the reel seat to be slightly longer, there is just enough room to get your fingers around it without having them hit the spool but depending on how you hold it your pointer finger may come into contact with the spool.

Overall I am very happy with my purchase and do not regret buying them. I will definitely be putting them to good use this winter and I will let you guys know how they hold up to the elements. I do not see any design flaws that may hinder this reels performance in cold weather. I would say this reel is worth the 30 dollars retail and that it is a good affordable option to the Frabill 241 and Black Betty 6061.

Offline addicted to ice fishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Feeding my addiction one lake at a time
Re: Eagle Claw Fly Reel Review
« Reply #1 on: Nov 06, 2012, 02:05 PM »
Good review!   I agree with you on the reel foot being longer.

Offline tkru

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Nov 06, 2012, 02:13 PM »
I received mine on Friday morning, line it up and took it out and tested it out of my kayak.  The free spool is ok.  It does not free spool with even a #10 gill pill in water.  I had to go to tungsten to get it to free spool.  I caught a lot of Crappie and Gills with it.  So far I really like it.  looks great and functions great for 15 bucks.

Offline ckashner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 06, 2012, 02:29 PM »
where did you mail order it from?

Offline bpiatt

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Nov 06, 2012, 02:37 PM »
where did you mail order it from?

Direct from Eagle Claw. They are out of stock though and I'm not sure when they'll have more.

Offline openingact

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A bad day fishing beats a good day working!
« Reply #5 on: Nov 06, 2012, 02:37 PM »
I received mine on Friday morning, line it up and took it out and tested it out of my kayak.  The free spool is ok.  It does not free spool with even a #10 gill pill in water.  I had to go to tungsten to get it to free spool.  I caught a lot of Crappie and Gills with it.  So far I really like it.  looks great and functions great for 15 bucks.

Out of curiousity, did you adjust the spool break on the reel with the knob on the side? I did some "test drops" at home with a 12# and I didn't have any issues.

Offline bpiatt

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Nov 06, 2012, 05:57 PM »
I just tested mine with a #12 gill pill using 2lb mono for line. The jig weighs enough to free spool line off the reel on mine. You might have too heavy of line or not have your brake adjusted correctly.

Offline tkru

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Nov 06, 2012, 06:16 PM »
yea I have the break off. due to the fact that water is more viscus than air the gill pill or any jig for that matter weighs less in water than it does in air.  Just what I found.  I have 2lb micro ice on it.  tight lines!

Offline teabagger1773

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 07, 2012, 10:58 AM »
dont know if it matters in your application but i use one for trolling sinking fly line and the clicker will wear out super fast. happened to my brother in law too. its a bummer for me cause it lets me know i have a fish if i'm busy getting a beer etc. and not watching my rod tip. also the drag adjustment on the low end is extremely touchy most of the range of adjustment is too high for practical use. my advice would be to leave it set all the way down and palm (glove?) the spool.
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.

Offline bpiatt

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Nov 07, 2012, 06:26 PM »
I tested the free spool capability at the bay today and it did struggle a little on a #12 gill pill. Once the jig was a few feet down it works better. It had no issue with a 1/12oz kastmaster or #10 tungsten jig. Even with the #12 it wasn't an issue, if you lift and drop the rod tip with free spool engaged it goes down no problem.

Offline teabagger1773

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Nov 07, 2012, 07:31 PM »
dont know if it matters in your application but i use one for trolling sinking fly line and the clicker will wear out super fast. happened to my brother in law too. its a bummer for me cause it lets me know i have a fish if i'm busy getting a beer etc. and not watching my rod tip. also the drag adjustment on the low end is extremely touchy most of the range of adjustment is too high for practical use. my advice would be to leave it set all the way down and palm (glove?) the spool.

sorry, didn't realize they had a new ice reel out. thought we were talking about their fly reel, should have done my homework before bashing the product
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.

Offline flatlandy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Nov 07, 2012, 08:30 PM »
I was able to get two of the EC reels and I am pretty happy with them, really cant complain with the price.

One thing I am a little confused about is the free spool brake. With the brake applied you are always reeling against it, which doesn't make sense to me given that it makes it more difficult to reel in.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12 on: Nov 07, 2012, 10:53 PM »
Anyone know when (or if) this reel will be available anywhere other than gander mtn? I wont do business with gander mtn anymore but would like to try one of these reels this season.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline ULking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Ice Baby!!!
« Reply #13 on: Nov 07, 2012, 10:56 PM »
I talked Scheels in Lincoln Nebraska to pick some up...
A bad day of fishin is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline bpiatt

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Nov 08, 2012, 05:10 AM »
Anyone know when (or if) this reel will be available anywhere other than gander mtn? I wont do business with gander mtn anymore but would like to try one of these reels this season.

I spoke with an eagle claw Rep and he wasn't sure when they were getting more in. If you call eagle claw you can give them your name and number then they will notify you when they get the shipment in.

Offline spikes

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Nov 20, 2012, 10:10 AM »
I just received a pair of combos and and the rod tips were broken.   I was wondering if someone knew of a link to show how to change the reel handle to a left hand?

Offline nonamer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Nov 20, 2012, 10:24 AM »
where were they shipped from and was the packing adequate.

Offline spikes

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Nov 20, 2012, 03:28 PM »
Fish307.   The packaging was alittle weak, but nothing that should have damaged the rod.   I would assume it was done prior.

Offline bpiatt

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Nov 20, 2012, 03:36 PM »
I just received a pair of combos and and the rod tips were broken.   I was wondering if someone knew of a link to show how to change the reel handle to a left hand?

Mine all came left handed. Yours came on the right side? I know guys changed them from left to right themself, I didn't know eagle claw sold a right hand model.

Offline openingact

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A bad day fishing beats a good day working!
« Reply #19 on: Nov 20, 2012, 04:11 PM »
Mine all came left handed. Yours came on the right side? I know guys changed them from left to right themself, I didn't know eagle claw sold a right hand model.

Pretty sure they didn't. Sounds like either someone already had yours and switch and returned for some reason.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.