Author Topic: Looking for some Beef & chicken rub recipes.  (Read 3767 times)

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
Looking for some Beef & chicken rub recipes.
« on: Jul 30, 2021, 01:06 PM »
Well Guy’s. I’ve found a good brine mix for stuff, a Good pork rub recipe, and a hell of a Bloody Mary mix.

Looking for fish breading recipe…(I like Andy’s red breading) and a good beef & chicken rub recipe.

I was tired of spending big money on rubs for my ribs, pork loins, and pork butts/shoulders. Came across this pork rub recipe and it was great. Bought all the spices from dollar general and it makes a lot of rub. I generally do the recipe x 4 and fill an old parmesan cheese container.

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Looking for some Beef & chicken rub recipes.
« Reply #1 on: Jul 30, 2021, 01:38 PM »
Been using this one for 20 years ...cutting back on the salt and the fresh ground pepper ..works for everything

STEVE RAICHLEN'S BASIC BARBECUE RUB

Makes 1 cup

1/4 cup coarse salt (sea or kosher)

1/4 cup packed brown sugar (light or dark)

1/4 cup sweet paprika

2-4 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper

Optional flavorings:

1 tablespoon garlic powder

1 tablespoon onion powder

STEVE RAICHLEN'S Java/Coffee Coccao rub..Great on pork ..but since I started using it on chicken thighs about 10 years ago its my most requested  when its BBQ season...thighs are were cheap and cook fast ..best to let the rub sit on them at least 6 hours

Makes 1 1/2 cups

3/4 cup brown sugar
6 tablespoons sweet paprika
6 tablespoons ground coffee
1/4 cup coarse salt (kosher or sea)
2 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon cocoa powder

STEVE RAICHLEN'S Cajun Rub

Makes 1 cup

1/4 cup coarse salt (kosher or sea)
1/4 cup paprika
3 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper, or to taste
1 tablespoon dried thyme
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon filé powder
2 teaspoons freshly ground white pepper
1 teaspoon ground bay leaf

My go to smoking wood is hickory...but if I were to BBQ/Grill  a large/thick cut of beef I would use mesquite 
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #2 on: Jul 30, 2021, 01:47 PM »
My rib and pork rub that I use.... posted this waaaaay back in 2012....still a staple in the grilling department!
Rub the ribs/pigger steaks with it and wrap tightly in plastic wrap nite before smoking/grilling. I prefer St Lous style over back ribs, as there is more/thicker meat. I also like doing a pile of CSR's...country style ribs.
These are the thick, end-of-blade ribs, and are just a good thick chunk of meat.
Make sure you pull the membrane off the rack ribs underside...it'll prevent the rub from working in, and you don't want that anyway. Trim any fat off ribs, and if doing a thick pigger steak, or butt, I prefer to trim it edge close, leaving a thin edge strip on. This will prevent flare ups and burned edges.
I build up a good head of smoke from the applewood, once in a while hickory, (apple is sweeter) and spray the pork with apple juice or fresh cider as I put them on, then occasionally while smoking. Thick cuts like a brisket or butt get soaked in apple juice overnite, then a heavy rub with Reb's Rib Rub 2 hours before cooking.
Keep cooker/grill at *225....remember, for pork...low and slow. I then brush my BBQ sauce on for the last 30-60 mns.
Pull pork at 150*, tent with foil, and let rest for at least 30 mns. This is an important last step...the rest.

Rub recipe

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=222469.msg2224909#msg2224909
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Jul 30, 2021, 05:44 PM »
I absolutely love Weber's Kick'n Chicken Seasoning. I smoke my chicken and use it .
<===Lefty===

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jul 30, 2021, 06:27 PM »
Chicken, it's famous Dave's rub and everyone loves it.

For steaks I use Jack Daniels steak rub, it's a bit spendy, but we like it.

This I do roasts with, I'll inject and then marinate it in the rest overnight, makes great auju for french dips

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Jul 30, 2021, 06:41 PM »
I absolutely love Weber's Kick'n Chicken Seasoning. I smoke my chicken and use it .

You smoke yer chicken?!  Er, ah....never mind, lefty.:  Sorry, I had to!

Try whipping up my chicky rub instead of that Kick'n chicken stuff. You can have my jar of it!

Reb's Yardbird Sprinkle

2 Tbs. finely ground sage
2 Tbs. smoked or Hungarian paprika 
1 Tbs. dried rosemary
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
1/8 tsp thyme
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper

Try adding a spoonful of this to a small basting dish of melted butter and brushing the bird with it...turkey, too.
Heavenly basted on cornish hens....yum!

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jul 30, 2021, 07:27 PM »
My rib and pork rub that I use.... posted this waaaaay back in 2012....still a staple in the grilling department!
Rub the ribs/pigger steaks with it and wrap tightly in plastic wrap nite before smoking/grilling. I prefer St Lous style over back ribs, as there is more/thicker meat. I also like doing a pile of CSR's...country style ribs.
These are the thick, end-of-blade ribs, and are just a good thick chunk of meat.
Make sure you pull the membrane off the rack ribs underside...it'll prevent the rub from working in, and you don't want that anyway. Trim any fat off ribs, and if doing a thick pigger steak, or butt, I prefer to trim it edge close, leaving a thin edge strip on. This will prevent flare ups and burned edges.
I build up a good head of smoke from the applewood, once in a while hickory, (apple is sweeter) and spray the pork with apple juice or fresh cider as I put them on, then occasionally while smoking. Thick cuts like a brisket or butt get soaked in apple juice overnite, then a heavy rub with Reb's Rib Rub 2 hours before cooking.
Keep cooker/grill at *225....remember, for pork...low and slow. I then brush my BBQ sauce on for the last 30-60 mns.
Pull pork at 150*, tent with foil, and let rest for at least 30 mns. This is an important last step...the rest.

Rub recipe

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=222469.msg2224909#msg2224909

Looks good, have to give it a try.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Jul 30, 2021, 08:18 PM »
Chicken, it's famous Dave's rub and everyone loves it.

For steaks I use Jack Daniels steak rub, it's a bit spendy, but we like it.

This I do roasts with, I'll inject and then marinate it in the rest overnight, makes great auju for french dips

The one you inject roasts with is almost identical to mine! Intead of the browing sauce, I use A-1 steak sauce, and also about a tsp of beef bouillon powder. It does make a difference, doesn't it? I do that before I toss the roast in a crock-pot, and pour the rest on top. Great minds must think alike.... ;D

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #8 on: Jul 30, 2021, 08:22 PM »

Rub recipe

Pretty similar to what I’ve been doing. Only instead of soaking brisket in apple juice. I inject it with beef broth and meat church injection stuff.

Pork and chucking I inject with Tony churros creole butter or garlic and herb.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Jul 30, 2021, 08:48 PM »
Pretty similar to what I’ve been doing. Only instead of soaking brisket in apple juice. I inject it with beef broth and meat church injection stuff.

Pork and chucking I inject with Tony churros creole butter or garlic and herb.

I soak pork brisket in the apple juice, as it's a tougher, smaller belly cut than a beef brisket. I don't do beef much except for a roast...I'm a pork junkie.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #10 on: Jul 30, 2021, 09:21 PM »
I soak pork brisket in the apple juice, as it's a tougher, smaller belly cut than a beef brisket. I don't do beef much except for a roast...I'm a pork junkie.

That makes sense.

I wait and buy a bunch of pork loins or butts when they hit $1.50 a lb. then use my grinder, jerky gun, and sausage stuffer to make snack sticks, kielbasa, skinless breakfast sausages, summer sausage, and my absolute favorite….trail baloney. Also make beef jerky in my dehydrator

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11 on: Jul 30, 2021, 09:28 PM »
Anyone do Korean short ribs? (beef)

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jul 30, 2021, 09:51 PM »
That makes sense.

I wait and buy a bunch of pork loins or butts when they hit $1.50 a lb. then use my grinder, jerky gun, and sausage stuffer to make snack sticks, kielbasa, skinless breakfast sausages, summer sausage, and my absolute favorite….trail baloney. Also make beef jerky in my dehydrator

That's what I do, get bags of end cuts off of loins here for $0.99 a lb,, make breakfast sausage, brats, salami. Just picked up a Boston butt today for bacon.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #13 on: Jul 31, 2021, 07:17 AM »
What time should I be over?  ;D

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #14 on: Jul 31, 2021, 03:31 PM »
Well Guy’s. I’ve found a good brine mix for stuff, a Good pork rub recipe, and a hell of a Bloody Mary mix.

Looking for fish breading recipe…(I like Andy’s red breading) and a good beef & chicken rub recipe.

I was tired of spending big money on rubs for my ribs, pork loins, and pork butts/shoulders. Came across this pork rub recipe and it was great. Bought all the spices from dollar general and it makes a lot of rub. I generally do the recipe x 4 and fill an old parmesan cheese container.

Gotta kind off track here... ::)   You ever use Panko for the fish breading? Toss in some black pepper, paprika, onion powder, and yer good to go. I've also used seasoned croutons and take a rolling pin to 'em in a bag. Try the Italian ones or Caesar ones this way...pretty tasty! I still like to leave the skin on my filets and just cook 'em in some butter with salt and pepper.

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #15 on: Jul 31, 2021, 03:45 PM »
Gotta kind off track here... ::)   You ever use Panko for the fish breading? Toss in some black pepper, paprika, onion powder, and yer good to go. I've also used seasoned croutons and take a rolling pin to 'em in a bag. Try the Italian ones or Caesar ones this way...pretty tasty! I still like to leave the skin on my filets and just cook 'em in some butter with salt and pepper.

Crushed unflavored/flavored  pork rinds ...that should bring something to the party...cause pork fat rules !!!
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #16 on: Jul 31, 2021, 04:21 PM »
Yes it does!!!!!!!!!  :thumbsup:

Speaking of.....3 plump, rubbed CSR's for dinner...

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #17 on: Jul 31, 2021, 06:40 PM »
Just cooked me some London Broil on my Traeger. Made a Blue Cheese butter topping for it and had me some Bushe's beans with Jalapeno chopped in those. Yum.

This was my first London Broil so I did over cook it a tad. Won't next time.
<===Lefty===

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #18 on: Jul 31, 2021, 08:05 PM »
That looks great, lefty!  :thumbsup:

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jul 31, 2021, 08:49 PM »
What time should I be over?  ;D

About 15 days and I should have it done, takes 10 days in the brine.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #20 on: Aug 01, 2021, 06:37 AM »
About 15 days and I should have it done, takes 10 days in the brine.

I'll bring the cheese and crackers.  ;D

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #21 on: Aug 01, 2021, 08:28 AM »
That looks great, lefty!  :thumbsup:
Found a Beef Brisket on sale this morning. Will be smoking it tomorrow.
<===Lefty===

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Aug 01, 2021, 04:13 PM »
I'll bring the cheese and crackers.  ;D

Sounds good

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #23 on: Aug 02, 2021, 01:11 AM »

I used Panko once was pretty good but forget to get it at the store.

I’ve been doing corn bread mix, flower, seasoned salt, white salt, black pepper. Crushed/rolled ritz crackers. (Sometimes I have to sub pancake mix for the corn bread mix or saltine crackers for the ritz…..depends what’s on hand lol.)

The paprika and onion powder would be good to add though.

Offline MumbleSEED

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • "If you plant corn you get corn!"
« Reply #24 on: Aug 02, 2021, 08:58 AM »
Thanks to everyone posting on this page.  I love to cook and love to eat even more.  I have a big family and enjoy mixing up flavors and styles.  My kiddos like to try new things so I appreciate all the rub ideas and recipes and so do my youngsters!  My mouth is watering I will definitely try that Steve R.'s Java/Coffee rub and Rebs Yardbird Sprankle!  Great job to all!
If only God would come down in the form of a man and explain everything to us.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.