The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Lake St clair ICE!  (Read 6222 times)

Offline Passion4theWILD

• IceShanty Rookie
Lake St clair ICE!
« on: Feb 10, 2006, 10:54 PM »
    There were 4 guys sitting on buckets a couple hundred yards off of the DNR ramp near Palms Rd, and about 20 guys off of the raft in fair haven. I guess theres about a solid 3 to 4 inches of ice out there. Its about time. Ill be out there in the morning, hopfully.

Offline Tommyboy18769

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Lake St clair ICE!
« Reply #1 on: Feb 12, 2006, 02:40 PM »
I was just about to ask if anyone knew the conditions down at the bay....thanks alot...

Offline Passion4theWILD

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 12, 2006, 10:50 PM »
Didnt not make it out. Work, work and more work. Has anyone been on st clair this weekend?

flockshot

« Reply #3 on: Feb 13, 2006, 07:39 AM »
i heard from a buddy that there was ice forming..but remember..if the wind shifts on us...good bye ice

walleyechaser

« Reply #4 on: Feb 13, 2006, 08:12 AM »
I would really like to get out there and get in on the perch bite. 
What is the best place to access it?  I know about the DNR launch at Selfridge but I really don't want to be rescued by a helicopter somewhere down river.  I've never ice fished Anchor Bay because of the wind.

If I can get on somewhere there is an onshore wind it would ok.

Also how far do you have to venture out to get into the perch?

Offline Hood

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 13, 2006, 08:14 AM »
hey what do you guys fish for out there??? I was visiting detroit a few eyars ago and wanted to fish it bad but didnt have any gear.

flockshot

« Reply #6 on: Feb 13, 2006, 08:16 AM »
hey what do you guys fish for out there??? I was visiting detroit a few eyars ago and wanted to fish it bad but didnt have any gear.
perch mostly...thats the hot item on the lake..alot of people go out for walleye too.but perch is the main quarry...

summer smallmouth and muskie and walleye are probably the thing to go for

Offline slimechaser

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Who ya gonna call?
« Reply #7 on: Feb 13, 2006, 10:58 AM »
I fished Anchobay on Sunday 2-12-04. 3" of solid out about 400 yards from the DNR site at the end of Palms rd. The ice is fine the whole north and east corners of the bay. and the majority of the bay is frozen over so already there isn't much chance of blow out. caught two dinks and sent em back for next year. also had a sizable pike on for a minute but my 4lb test was no match for him!!
Official Capt Ahab of the MIRC - "thar she blows"  
 Got nymph?   Some days your the bug and some days your the windshield.

Offline Tommyboy18769

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Feb 13, 2006, 02:57 PM »
Yea middle of december I was killin the perch...I normally go out right at the end of Palms road to the right theres a DNR site...right near bluewater bait(I think thats what its called)...but im gonna call there tomorrow and if its good I am going out wednesday morning...if all goes well ill let ya know how it went...

Offline Passion4theWILD

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 13, 2006, 11:57 PM »
Tommyboy. I also will be out wedesday morning. Ill prolly be on the raft and not off of the dnr ramp. If you see two clam fold overs together come over and give us a shout. In december i slayed the perch and gills at the raft but it doesnt seem like anyone recent has had much luck there. Ill give a accurate report when i get in. Good luck to all that make it out this week and be safe out there!

Offline Tommyboy18769

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Feb 14, 2006, 07:35 PM »
Hey Passion...I dunno if youll get this before tomorrow but where exactly is the raft and have you heard anything about the thickness of the ice???....lol and whats your name so im not hollerin passion for the wild...lol

Offline Passion4theWILD

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 14, 2006, 11:04 PM »
My name is Nate Barr. On LSCN.net is where i get most of my lake st clair info from. Ill be at selfridge bait and tacke at 6 30 and then over at the raft. Theres going to be three guys with us. Ill be in a shappel 2000, one of my buddies will be in a clam fold over and the other in a viking. We should all be someone close to each other. See you on the ICe!

Offline Tommyboy18769

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Feb 15, 2006, 10:57 AM »
I wasnt really sure about where the raft was...not too familiar with the area down there...today was just my second time out there...but we went out the dnr launch site next to that bluewater bait...the guy said there was only 2 inches out there but there was like 4-5 6 in some spots...no luck at all...saw a couple gills go buy but that was about it...we started around 730 and left at 1130 with not much luck at all...hopefully you did a better job than us...

Offline slimechaser

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Who ya gonna call?
« Reply #13 on: Feb 15, 2006, 02:54 PM »
Tommyboy, The Raft is a restraunt with it's own launch about a 1/2 mile from that dnr launch by way of the road (1/4 mile on ice). As you hit the ice from the Dnr launch, look 90 degrees left and you'll see a weedy island, the Raft is right there on the other side of the island. They always charge you to park there, but there are more cuts, channels and marina's over there. Perch don't usually run any bigger though. If you got a map look of the bay, look for swan creek point (to the right of the launch). When we get enogh ice, that's the place to be. it's a shallow flat that drops to 10+fow pretty quick.
Tight lines everyone!

Offline Tommyboy18769

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Feb 15, 2006, 07:27 PM »
Alrite...Thanks Ill have to give it a shot when we get more ice...I went back out tonight for a little while from like 530 to 730....didn't see a thing...my buddy caught a dink perch and that was about it...from the people i talked to there was no action what-so-ever out there today...howd you do???

Offline Passion4theWILD

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Feb 15, 2006, 08:34 PM »
Got out to st Clair today. Left the house and 5:20am and was fishing by 7. Didn't end up fishing the raft, ice was to shaky over there so my buddie and I fished the canal behind Selfridge bait and tackle. Used friskas #14 black w/white dotts, all day for slabs. Alot of throw backs but managed 21 sunnies. one 9 3/4 in gill that looked like a monster. 3 crappie the biggest being 12 and three perch all about 8 in. It was a great day on the ice, almost fished for 12 hours which was awesome. Ill post Pictures tomorrow or friday whenever i can get them developed and scanned. Over all one of my best days this year.

Offline Tommyboy18769

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Feb 16, 2006, 02:34 PM »
Well thats good...I heard they were killin them all day down at selfridge...how thick was the ice down there???

Offline Passion4theWILD

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Feb 16, 2006, 08:07 PM »
The canal behind the bait job had about 7in of ice. What were the guys at selfridge catching? Selfridge is only about 300 yards away from where i was fishing, i didnt even know anyone was down there.

Offline Tommyboy18769

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Feb 16, 2006, 10:28 PM »
some Guy at bluewater bait said they were catchin gills and perch all day long down there...he said you gotta get down there early or you cant park anywhere...i guess he tried a few times and the parking lots was full each time...so i might try there next weekend...if the ice holds up through all this crappy weather....

flockshot

« Reply #19 on: Feb 17, 2006, 07:59 AM »
does any one know if this wind is blowing the ice out???

Offline slimechaser

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Who ya gonna call?
« Reply #20 on: Feb 17, 2006, 11:09 AM »
I drive by anchorbay / Bouvier bay everyday, NO ICE. It was totally taken out by the rain. The raft area still had ice cubes blown in from the west which should be OK by Sunday if temps stay down and wind lets up long enough to let it get hard. I can't say what it's like around Selfridge though. Canals that had 4"+ should be good to go by Saturday, but definitely be careful!

flockshot

« Reply #21 on: Feb 17, 2006, 11:35 AM »
the rain wouldnt had melted 3 inches of ice..this wind is what destroyed it..damn...oh well..hopefully the canals hold...

Offline slimechaser

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Who ya gonna call?
« Reply #22 on: Feb 20, 2006, 11:21 AM »
Ice is good at the raft! You can get on the water at the Palms rd DNR site but don't get on the new ice as it is not safe yet. Was a couple nuts out there Sat, but by Sunday there was a number of people out. This am (2-20-06), I saw 4 or 5 shanty's out there. Weather is forecast to warm up for a few days so you better get out now! I don't know if they were catching or not. Canals are hit and miss, use caution!! The bay is mostly skim ice, only the rough stuff by the raft is safe!! I can't say it enough, be careful out there, you don't want a trip to cleveland!! Good luck and if you go, let us know how you did.   Tight lines kids!

Offline slimechaser

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Who ya gonna call?
« Reply #23 on: Feb 22, 2006, 01:56 PM »
As of this a.m., ice was still good at the raft. canals firmed up as well. Don't know if it will survive the warm up though. bay is completely socked in now with no open water but I still wouldn't trust the "new" ice much. good luck!

Offline Passion4theWILD

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Feb 23, 2006, 12:52 AM »
 Fished Harsens Island today. Did pretty good on the sunnies and gills. A few decent perch. The raft had know one on it but there was about 30 guys off of the dnr ramp right there, stopped in blue water bait and tackle and te report was slow and alot of dinks. Good luck to anyone that makes it out. Oh yea that sun put a hurtin on the ice! Be safe.

Offline slimechaser

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Who ya gonna call?
« Reply #25 on: Feb 24, 2006, 08:48 AM »
There is a definate "lack of ice" this morning on anchor bay, no-one fishing either. recommend you look in-land for this weekend. I don't believe there will be any good ice untill at best Sunday, but I wouldn't count on it. Dare I say it, our season is almost over.

walleyechaser

« Reply #26 on: Feb 24, 2006, 09:00 AM »
and I was really hoping I could get out there and get some perch.
Oh well have to wait until spring for that.

Steelhead are coming into the Clinton River from St. Clair.  They are getting them at Yates Cider Mill and below.  Just not too sure I would eat anything from the Clinton River.  The recent rain and flood conditions brought a bunch of fish in.

flockshot

« Reply #27 on: Feb 24, 2006, 10:17 AM »

Steelhead are coming into the Clinton River from St. Clair.  They are getting them at Yates Cider Mill and below.  Just not too sure I would eat anything from the Clinton River.  The recent rain and flood conditions brought a bunch of fish in.
that and 4 years ago the dnr put about a half million stealhead in the river and they will be returning as adults for the first time this year...lol.

yeah ive decided im gonna put away my bucket and whip out ye old fly rods..stealheadings funner anyways..

and ps...theres fish there..the clinton..but you have to know what your doing to catch them..if you dont..you'll only be crowding me..lol

walleyechaser

« Reply #28 on: Feb 24, 2006, 10:53 AM »
We have a place on the rapid river up north.  It flows into Torch and Elk lakes.  Last couple years we've been getting an awesome steelhead run.  Fish up to 20 pounds.  Also get lake run browns in late summer.
Some of them are quite large too.  No fly fishing though its way too thick.  We use spawn and leaf worms.

No fishing pressure because its too rough for most people.  You can't beat unpressured steelhead.

Offline slimechaser

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Who ya gonna call?
« Reply #29 on: Feb 25, 2006, 11:14 AM »
Believe it or not, there is about 15 guy's out in front of the dnr site, winy as heck out there. Water has to be pretty stirred up, but at least there is still fishable ice. Go at your own risk. Oh ya a couple of guys are in front of the raft as well. good luck :tipup: :tipup:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.