Author Topic: hub floor snow vs ice  (Read 1658 times)

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing a sport, or just reason to buy stuff?
hub floor snow vs ice
« on: Dec 30, 2017, 06:49 PM »
I bought an eskimo hub 949i and have been shoveling the 3-4 inches of snow before setting up. With the intermittent use of the Mr. Heater even then it makes a wet mess that is slippery. It is tidy though and I do wear creepers.   Is there any plus side to leaving the cuttings piled around the hole and just packing down the snow with one's feet? I hadn't figured why a guide I know doesn't shovel and I am ashamed to ask. Help I have fallen and can't get up.
Thread killer

Offline liquidonyx

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: hub floor snow vs ice
« Reply #1 on: Dec 30, 2017, 06:53 PM »
Hmmm..might be personal preference or temp related. My hubs pretty small, I fished it today with Mr. Buddy on low all day with an outside temp between 6-9 degrees...it wasn’t too bad, slush wise.

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #2 on: Dec 30, 2017, 07:06 PM »
I made a little stand for my mr buddy heater that stopped all that. I took an 16" by 24" piece of sheet metal and screwed two 2"x"2's lengthwise on both sides. I place the Mr. Buddy heater on one end and the metal reflects the heat up stopping the ice from melting in the hub shanty.
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing a sport, or just reason to buy stuff?
« Reply #3 on: Dec 30, 2017, 07:12 PM »
I have a 20lb tank sitting in a milk crate so it is up a little and am thinking about the height idea to cover the water mess.
Thread killer

Offline jiggalo

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Another great day to be alive!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 30, 2017, 07:26 PM »
I made a little stand for my mr buddy heater that stopped all that. I took an 16" by 24" piece of sheet metal and screwed two 2"x"2's lengthwise on both sides. I place the Mr. Buddy heater on one end and the metal reflects the heat up stopping the ice from melting in the hub shanty.
That's a darn good idea! Think I'm going to borrow that from you :thumbsup:
Every day is a good day it's just some days are better than others

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #5 on: Dec 30, 2017, 07:27 PM »
That's a darn good idea! Think I'm going to borrow that from you :thumbsup:

go right ahead. That's what this site is all about, sharing ideas.  :afro:
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline curt69

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 30, 2017, 07:39 PM »
I leave the snow and keep my heater off the ice .
Catch'em and Eat'em

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 30, 2017, 10:00 PM »
I always shovel, drill two holes, then shovel the shavings before setting up the hub. It keeps it cleaner.

Offline DucksAndDogs

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 30, 2017, 10:18 PM »
I bought an eskimo hub 949i and have been shoveling the 3-4 inches of snow before setting up. With the intermittent use of the Mr. Heater even then it makes a wet mess that is slippery. It is tidy though and I do wear creepers.   Is there any plus side to leaving the cuttings piled around the hole and just packing down the snow with one's feet? I hadn't figured why a guide I know doesn't shovel and I am ashamed to ask. Help I have fallen and can't get up.

You can pick up those interlocking puzzle piece type gym floor rubber mats for relatively cheap.  Shovel and then put those down leaving one square out for each hole you drilled inside the pop up.  Problem solved.  I have a 949i and do this and put the buddy heater right on one of the rubber mats and don’t get any water.

Offline onestring

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 30, 2017, 10:45 PM »
If there's a bunch of snow and you shovel it out inside the hit water will take the place of the snow at least that's what happens when I shovel out the flip en less i shovel out a bunch around  the hut

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 30, 2017, 10:47 PM »
First off, whether I shovel or kick aside any snow depends on the conditions.  If there is a lot of snow and you clear it off all the way down to the ice, then water can come out of the holes and leave you with a nice little lake inside the shelter.  I see onestring has mentioned this just now.

Next, I've gone to placing the heater on a small wooden crate.  As mentioned, that stops the floor melt immediately in front of it.

Lastly, floor mats slide around less for me if they are on snow instead of directly on ice.

YMMV
 Happiness is a wife who can outfish you.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #11 on: Dec 30, 2017, 11:43 PM »
I got those interlocking foam pads I throw on for flooring.  I got a plastic tray under the buddy heater.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.