Author Topic: snowmobile riders after fall through Winnipesaukee ice  (Read 1625 times)

Offline Thumber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Sunset on Merrymeeting Lake 3/18/09

Cell phone call helps save snowmobile riders after fall through Winnipesaukee ice

By DAN SEUFERT
Sunday New Correspondent

Published Feb 11, 2012 at 10:29 pm (Updated Feb 11, 2012)

ALTON — A cell phone may have saved the lives of two snowmobilers who went through thin ice in the middle of Lake Winnipesaukee Saturday night.

The two men were rescued from The Broads area of the lake by rescue crews from Gilford and Tuftonboro with the help of a DHART rescue helicopter and the Tuftonboro Fire Department's airboat about 9:30 p.m., according to Gilford Fire Chief Stephen Carrier.

Both men were found suffering from hypothermia having been immersed in the 35-degree lake water, Carrier said, but neither suffered serious injuries and both were taken to local hospitals for precautionary health checks.

"They both got wet, but I guess they were able to get out of the water quick enough," said Carrier, who said the men crashed into a small open area of water in the town of Alton.

Authorities received a 911 call from one of the two men at 7:54 p.m., reporting "that he was looking for a friend and could no longer see him, and that he had gone through himself," Carrier said.

The man called authorities soon after and said his phone battery was running low. Before the battery died, the man reported seeing the Tuftonboro airboat approaching.

As Tuftonboro rescue crews brought the first victim to Huggins Hospital in Wolfeboro, a search by crews from several towns around the lake continued for the second man. About 9:15 p.m., Gilford crews found him walking on the ice a short distance from the other side of the open water toward Gilford.

"We're still not sure how the one victim got to the Tuftonboro side," Carrier said.

Neither rider knew that the other was safely out of the water, he said, as they both sought help in different directions. It was fortunate, Carrier said, that one of the men had a cell phone, as both were soaking wet, walking on the ice in windy, 20-degree weather.

"Without the cell phone call, we wouldn't have known they were out there," Carrier said.

The incident shows the need for taking precautions when on the ice in this warmer-than-normal winter, Carrier said,

"Obviously, this is an unusual winter, and there is open water in strange places," he said.

Hosted New England Outdoors New Hampshire Fishing Show 1989 to 1994.

Offline Swampdonkey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Can't catch em from the couch.
Re: snowmobile riders after fall through Winnipesaukee ice
« Reply #1 on: Feb 12, 2012, 06:09 AM »
See that on the news last night. Glad they are o.k. surprised they ventured through the broads last night.

Offline Bucksheds

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 12, 2012, 07:09 AM »
Lucky to be alive very stupid people it was bound to happen this weekend , lets  hop that is all of them for the weekend .... too bad they must not watch the weather or see the news to try to cross the big lake at night .... i am glad there ok, but use common sense ....
Hunting and fishing "Its what I Do"

Offline NHSlabbinCabin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 12, 2012, 12:29 PM »
Both charged with OUI. Go figure.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 12, 2012, 04:10 PM »
Both charged with OUI. Go figure.

Really! I never would have guessed. ::)
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline Capt. Black

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "Deserves got nothing to do with it."
« Reply #5 on: Feb 12, 2012, 04:26 PM »
Really! I never would have guessed. ::)
Shocking I tell you, Shocking. :wacko:

Capt. Black

Offline SmellsLikeFishNH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 12, 2012, 04:31 PM »
I could not believe the amount of vehicles I saw on the ice, drove by center harbor and it had at least a dozen trucks and cars out there. What is wrong with these people?

Offline kivva king

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 12, 2012, 04:40 PM »
there was probably 30 or more trucks and cars on 19 mile bay!!

surflizard

« Reply #8 on: Feb 12, 2012, 05:31 PM »
anyone heard what happened to the kid that hit the pressure ridge below cascade on the bay and had the nasty yard sale when it landed ?

Offline NHSlabbinCabin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 12, 2012, 06:33 PM »
I think he took a trip to the hospital. I heard it was the same guy that sank his bobhouse on Echo

Offline bigjon6744

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 13, 2012, 05:16 PM »
maybe they should get the bill for their ignorance. that will learn'em

surflizard

« Reply #11 on: Feb 13, 2012, 05:29 PM »
I can only imagine what the DES fines and the recovery costs will be, I wonder if the ice is even strong enough for a recovery ? Sucks to be them !!

Offline PHD

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 13, 2012, 06:02 PM »
yeah, I hear the fines are steep.. :cookoo:
Trust me, there's plenty of ice..

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.