Author Topic: Winnisquam Conditions?  (Read 1190 times)

Offline Rainbow1

• Team IceShanty Regular
Winnisquam Conditions?
« on: Jan 14, 2011, 04:18 AM »
Has anyone been out?  Thinking of Ahern Park or Pot Island over the weekend.

Offline Dispy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Winnisquam Conditions?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 14, 2011, 04:59 AM »
I have seen about 12 or so shanties out behind Mohawk Island along with several full size vehicles on this section, there are 3 shanties on the north side of the flat at the river entrance, and a few shanties located on the north end. Since Winnisquam is a north-south lake, I would be sure to check the ice before venturing out too far into the main lake. Good luck.......

Cheers & Tight Lines!!!

Offline BrianF

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 14, 2011, 06:17 AM »
I visited and fished several sections of Winnisquam last weekend through sunday. South end behind mohawk is ok. Ice varied from 3 -10 inches though so check it as you go. Over near the channel in the middle it thinned down to only 3 inches. Saturday there were quite a few shanties moving out there. Did not see and vehicles other than atvs and snowmobiles.

I stayed at a friends place on the west shore of the main lake and put out cusk lines in front of his camp. 1.5 inches of ice (maybe 2) up to about 1000 feet out. I would not attempt pot island just yet but if you do, check often and be careful.

Offline WhackMaster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 14, 2011, 10:08 AM »
i live right next to ahern. that part of the lake has been locked up for a week or, but i don't know the thickness. i haven't seen or heard anyone fishin out there yet, or any sleds going by. now with the snow it'll make it even more tricky. if you go, be careful. bring a buddy, some rope, and a chisle. a lifejacket never hurt either. winnisquam is a funky lake when it comes to ice.

Offline J.R.

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 14, 2011, 07:05 PM »
How is the "laker" ice fishing at Winnisquam ? never fished it .. ???

Offline slip_knot

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 14, 2011, 07:37 PM »
I'm a mile south of WhackMaster and there's a couple bobhouses out in front of my place. Also had a couple snowmobiles go by during the snowstorm Wednesday. Though, I have not been out yet myself. It was locked up all the way across last Thursday. I'd think the shoreline is good, but would certainly check as you get deeper. Remember, the current from the river turns north as it enters the lake and that current remains strong for a half mile or better. It definitely affects the ice thickness.
The south end on the other hand... saw a pickup out there this morning.
I am human. I am a predator. Don't ask me why I'm staring down a hole, waiting for a fish to bite. Its instinctive and I refuse to fight it.

Offline winnisquam guy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 15, 2011, 07:16 AM »
in the loon island area, 10" of ice last wkend. i tried going out in the 3 islands area but didn't feel comfortable. i may try it as soon as i can get off the computer. ahern had 4" last wkend. with the snow pack, i think things may be unpredictable , so check as you go

Offline WhackMaster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 17, 2011, 09:22 AM »
saw some snowmobile tracks on the ice up by ahern this weekend. don't know how thick it is though.

surflizard

« Reply #8 on: Jan 17, 2011, 06:38 PM »
Watch out for the guy Plowing on the ice behind Mohawk, Saw him out there Friday Morning ?? With the snow coming Tomorrow, it will be even more unpredictable now !

Offline winnisquam guy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 18, 2011, 06:27 PM »
checked ahern saturday. cut two holes off the beach a bit. both had 7" of ice under a 10-12 ' snow pack. further up lake, i found 6" of ice over a large area. chiseled to many holes to count. with snow cover, there are various areas of heavy slush. thinking of deep cold coming, things may stiffin up.northend has the best ice at at least 12" thoughout the narrows
laker fishing has been consistent . on sunday, guys at Martels told me of reports of someone getting a 40" laker, saw no photo . belmont beach seems active with many houses out. easy parking and good depth drop off make it a good choice

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.