Author Topic: Perch Belly  (Read 6277 times)

Offline Stickhick86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Perch Belly
« on: Mar 07, 2019, 06:24 PM »
I have heard of a lot of people using Perch belly pieces as bait but have never seen it done. Are they being used on jigs or set up on tip ups or both? I have heard they work for both perch and walleye and I was thinking about giving it a try. If someone could point me in the right direction, that would be great. Thanks.
Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to ice fish, have his wife mad for ever.

Offline Yukoner

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Perch Belly
« Reply #1 on: Feb 12, 2020, 01:53 PM »
No perch up here, but pike belly works very well on everything.  Big strips for lake trout and pike,  two to three inchers for whitefish, grayling, rainbows, and burbot.

Ted

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #2 on: Nov 22, 2020, 04:33 PM »
I have heard of a lot of people using Perch belly pieces as bait but have never seen it done. Are they being used on jigs or set up on tip ups or both? I have heard they work for both perch and walleye and I was thinking about giving it a try. If someone could point me in the right direction, that would be great. Thanks.

I've seen people do it. They usually cut a u or v shape part out of the belly then hook it on the spoon or jig. Works well if you don't have bait.

What works even better is popping out a perch eye and fishing with that. Be careful though because it is illegal in a lot of states.......Mainly because idiots were popping out the eyes on a perch then throwing it back in the lake. It's one thing to use an eye from a perch you iced and plan to eat that's dead and taking it from one you plan to throw back.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #3 on: Nov 22, 2020, 04:47 PM »
My father would use perch belly strips for bait when he ran out of minnows. As I remember they seemed to work well.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #4 on: Nov 22, 2020, 05:11 PM »
X2 on the pike belly...
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Luckydog

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 23, 2020, 12:38 PM »
In Illinois:  " It is illegal to cut up or dress or be in possession of cut up or dressed fish on any body of water where there is a size limit for that particular species of fish".  We used to use perch belly meat when catching perch in Lake Michigan.  It was a very effective bait that lasted a long time on the hook.  You just had to include the cut up fish as part of the daily quota.

Offline Stickhick86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 24, 2020, 11:07 AM »
Thanks for the input
Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to ice fish, have his wife mad for ever.

Offline ICEOHIO22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 24, 2020, 11:21 AM »
I have used the V shape piece of meat under the chin of the perch. It is between where the gills come together and the chin meet. Hook the V point of the meat on a jig it’s usually 1/2 inch to 1 inch long. It is soft but stays on the hook. Good action!!

Offline Stickhick86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 24, 2020, 11:34 AM »
In PA, there is no size limit on yellow perch, just a creel limit of 50

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.