New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS  (Read 1029967 times)

Offline wert

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
Re: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS
« Reply #8490 on: Feb 09, 2023, 04:08 AM »
being pretty much cokor blind  dark or light shades probly best bet!!!!  iratic movement is strick key

Offline wert

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #8491 on: Feb 09, 2023, 04:10 AM »
color not cokor.  sorry

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8492 on: Feb 09, 2023, 05:15 AM »

Perch fishing was slow for me  , they were super moody but got enough for a meal or 2 and the ice wasn’t very good on the way in this rain with the wind is really going to hurt
 Drove the spud through a few spots with 1 and 2 strikes , so I suggest if you don’t have a spud make 1 ,i stopped at apps on the way home and he had a few left
 Plus he has a huge inventory of lures and yes I parted with a few $$ lol

Offline hardwaterhonkey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8493 on: Feb 09, 2023, 06:27 AM »
being pretty much cokor blind  dark or light shades probly best bet!!!!  iratic movement is strick key
Walleye are not colored blind they have some of the keen and most sensitive eyes out of all fish…. They see green and red the best

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8494 on: Feb 09, 2023, 06:29 AM »
The walleye bite was nonexistent for me last night. I guess I'l blame it on the moon!

Next week's forecast is terrible.  >:(

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8495 on: Feb 09, 2023, 06:58 AM »
The walleye bite was nonexistent for me last night. I guess I'l blame it on the moon!

I’m glad to see it wasn’t just me having a tough go of it , calling for 1/2-5/8”s of rain late today ,extended forecast is not good for sure

Offline slamboney

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8496 on: Feb 09, 2023, 07:19 AM »

I didn't too well either, I'm blaming the moon too! Gale force winds tomorrow don't look too promising.  On the bright side it got below freezing last night, hopefully it helps hold things together enough to get out this weekend? My snowmobile is staying parked in the yard this year.

Offline oneida1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8497 on: Feb 09, 2023, 07:49 AM »
well went out yesterday maybe last time   with the forecast dosent look good  i did ok on the perch 4 out of 5 times i got out only 1 eye,

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8498 on: Feb 09, 2023, 08:20 AM »

Well done Oneida 1

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8499 on: Feb 09, 2023, 08:40 AM »
The top was stiffened up good when I came off last night. We might limp along for a bit.

My sled is staying parked too. The walking conditions are great anyway.

There is some discussion about a colder end to February but I don’t trust it.

Maybe I’ll change the oil in my outboard this week. That might make it get cold.

Offline hardwaterhonkey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8500 on: Feb 09, 2023, 08:54 AM »

There is some discussion about a colder end to February but I don’t trust it.

Maybe I’ll change the oil in my outboard this week. That might make it get cold.
Long term looked good all month at first I don’t believe the weather man for tomorrows weather anymore unfortunately, will be headed east to fish lakers again this weekend again looks like I won’t be on lady o this winter personally buddy was there Sunday-Wednesday all over most of the lake both shores best he did was ten keepers 2 keeper one day and 3 the next one decent day of perching with 26 but even slim numbers on them as well

Offline KingPerch

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8501 on: Feb 09, 2023, 11:09 AM »
I’ll be getting the bass boat ready with my son to head to Florida for some big bass!! 😁
“Saving the perch population, one walleye at a time”-reeleyz 2021

Don’t worry Freddie, Hot bite is at 11:00!!😜

Offline wert

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #8502 on: Feb 10, 2023, 02:00 AM »
walleyes have many many many more rods in there eyes . [low light gathering cells]  than cones [ for color differences red blue green and in some life forms ultraviolet] deer owls have h u g e rod advantages  for night vision       more rods means extraodinary visual acuity and movement detection!!!!!!!!    what they see only they are aware. this annolgy is for those that care!!!!

Offline mcully

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8503 on: Feb 10, 2023, 05:45 AM »
can't go wrong with gold, silver or perch color on Oneida. Others work but rotate through these and you'll be OK.  Blade baits and Kastmasters with a rap tossed in is about all you need too and you'll have success more than not. Don't need to overthink it

Offline Greenhornet73

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8504 on: Feb 10, 2023, 09:53 AM »
Yep, Sunday I was getting hit with gold then they backed off it until I went with a large silver and it was back on. Glows and colors didn’t do much that day for me
I prefer a 2oz sinker for perch...when it hits 'em they won't feel a thing

Offline hardwaterhonkey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8505 on: Feb 10, 2023, 12:48 PM »
walleyes have many many many more rods in there eyes . [low light gathering cells]  than cones [ for color differences red blue green and in some life forms ultraviolet] deer owls have h u g e rod advantages  for night vision       more rods means extraodinary visual acuity and movement detection!!!!!!!!    what they see only they are aware. this annolgy is for those that care!!!!
Spot on I didn’t feel like teaching someone who already “knows” about walleye funny to me usually the more clueless the more you find them posting on socials or the internet

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8506 on: Feb 10, 2023, 03:23 PM »
I just checked a spot that I got on Sunday. It’s open water!

That rain really did some damage. Be careful out there.

Offline Greenhornet73

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8507 on: Feb 10, 2023, 05:10 PM »
I’m getting my trolling gear together this weekend to get on Lake O in a few more weeks
I prefer a 2oz sinker for perch...when it hits 'em they won't feel a thing

Offline slamboney

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8508 on: Feb 11, 2023, 06:51 AM »
Got out last night to check the ice. Still fishable ice but cracks have pulled apart in some spots that kept me from getting too far. Also found a couple drain holes where the spud went through with one whack.

Offline Will12785

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8509 on: Feb 11, 2023, 08:46 AM »
Howdy all! Only ever read the forum but thought this would make a good first post. No relation or acquaintance just good story.

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/outdoors/2023/02/angler-hauls-in-one-big-ice-bass-on-oneida-lake-biggest-fish-i-ever-caught.html

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8510 on: Feb 11, 2023, 09:35 AM »
Welcome to the site. That’s a monster..👍👍
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline pimplepounder

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8511 on: Feb 11, 2023, 09:43 AM »
Anybody fish last Sunday off mill st and checked by a warden walking around pulling a sled if you did and happened to get his name I would like to get in contact with him and return some gear he left behind thank u

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8512 on: Feb 11, 2023, 09:51 AM »

Pounder  I’ll see What I can find out

Offline pimplepounder

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8513 on: Feb 11, 2023, 09:52 AM »
Awesome appreciate it bud

Offline Iceman1899

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8514 on: Feb 11, 2023, 12:57 PM »

Some pritty nasty separations out there today. Couldn’t quite make it to my 🍯 hole but I was still able to get on a handful of them oneida lake pig perch made for a decent morning. Back at it bright and early tomorrow for possibly last oneida lake ice outing for me this year. I really don’t see it lasting another week if they are right about the forecast. Hopefully some of the smaller bodys of water stay locked for a bit longer

Offline Zeker259

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8515 on: Feb 11, 2023, 02:30 PM »
Awesome FB pics posted

:tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :icefish:
Fishy, Fishy down the hole. Please come here and bend my pole. I jig and jig you take my hook and then I take you home to cook.

Offline Thomasb123

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8516 on: Feb 11, 2023, 03:08 PM »
Dang I seen a whole slew of ppl on webcam earlier. Comming up Monday too, rented a cabin on the lake for a week for this tragedy to happen, anyone have any idea of a decent bait shop around the lake to get my hands on some good live bait when I get up there even if I have to travel to chaumont to get some good ice for the week? Much appreciated

Offline oneida1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8517 on: Feb 11, 2023, 05:16 PM »
south shore is lakeside outfitters on rt 31 near lewis pt rd,,, not sure about north shore bait shop Apps is all ive heard of

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8518 on: Feb 11, 2023, 05:30 PM »

North shore AAPs in Cleveland, recirculated water from the lake for the bait   , and best lure selection

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8519 on: Feb 11, 2023, 07:55 PM »
Anyone going to attend this?

I think the seminar portion is being recorded. I just watched Bhammer’s talk live on YouTube on the Awakening Angler channel. Brian is always very informative. A lot of attention to detail.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.