The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Sandy Lake  (Read 2329 times)

Offline fishin madman

• Team IceShanty Regular
Sandy Lake
« on: Dec 01, 2005, 08:02 AM »
Anybody out there ever fish Sandy Lake in Pa By Lake Wilhelm? If so what do they generally fish for and does the lake lock up quickly when we get a cold snap?
How much ice do you need?

Offline Foxbow

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Sandy Lake
« Reply #1 on: Dec 01, 2005, 04:24 PM »
I'm curious too. Pass it when going to friends' house. Fished shenango and wilhelm but not there.
"Be the dominant predator!"

Offline beerthirty

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 06, 2005, 10:41 AM »
What county is this Lake located?
got fish? got beer? anyone see dr beam?

Offline fishin madman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 06, 2005, 11:11 AM »
That would be Mercer county. I was going to check it along with the stump area at Wilhelm this weekend. Hoping to be out early next week.

Offline CAMOTIM

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 06, 2005, 11:47 AM »
Madman, please send a Wilhelm ice condition report when you have a chance. Thanks.

Offline Snapper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 07, 2005, 08:50 AM »
What's your poison?  A buddy and I took 56 perch in 3 hrs and 20 minutes last year that we kept up top all over nine inches that was my best day there ever.

Two years ago he and I took 26 Crappie all over 14 inches with the largest a tad over 18 inches, that was my largest Crappie ever.

Some great gill too 8 inchers if you get into them.

But the gills are one place and the crappie are one place and the perch are in another.  That is if you are into hooking good fish in numbers.  When you are hooking dinks change what you are doing or change the location.

It gets hard water pretty fast, it is in Mercer County get a hold of Fergies Bait shop or check out the thread on the other page it should be firing right up here with in this week or the next. And stop by and see Scott Peterson he has the best ice fishing store around or check his place out on the web peterson-outdoors.com

Snapper

Offline fishin madman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 07, 2005, 09:19 AM »
Thanx for the info snapper! I will definetly be checking that out this weekend and hoping to be out early next week if ice looks good. I will also be checking Wilhelm and will let you know how things are looking at both places. I'm generally after the perch and crappie but also do a little walleye at times.

Offline Chuckles

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #7 on: Dec 08, 2005, 07:29 AM »
Madman....I think the lake your referring to is called Stoneboro Lake.  I'm not certain but i think it's a privately owned lake. But you can get permission to fish there. Ask at the gas station or hardware store in Sandylake.

Offline fishin madman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 08, 2005, 08:58 AM »
You were right chuckles. Spoke with someone that knows the lake and it is privately owned.They have in the past booted people from the lake during ice up.They think it might be a liability issue. I'll poke around this weekend when I'm checking the stumps at Wilhelm.

Offline fishin madman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 08, 2005, 10:04 AM »
Just got off the phone with Sandy lake Township and she said the beach front is private property and believes the lake is not. States should be no problem to ice fish but to be careful because the lake is spring fed. Hopfully things look good either here or at lake Wilhelm by early next week.

Offline Snapper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 08, 2005, 10:30 AM »
Could be that lake is just a few mile away from Wilhelm, I have fished it in open water early before they start charging to launch your boat.  We did well then on LM but I never fished it for pan fish or during ice fishing. 

Scott Peterson would know for sure and he will be able to tell you a place to park at  he can also tell you how much ice is on the lake.  You can e-mail him through his web page peterson-outdoors.com if that dose not work just do a search on ice fishing supplies his wed page should come up or phone him at 724-376-2665.  I do not work for him and I am not apart of his store, but he has good information and a great store.

Snapper

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.