The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Anyone fished norton pond this winter??  (Read 3712 times)

Offline EyERipLip

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Above the Ice, under the influence
Anyone fished norton pond this winter??
« on: Jan 08, 2017, 11:57 AM »
I have never fished norton but have heard that there is a good pike population there. It's quite a haul for me so just hoping for some info on ice conditions access or success rate through the ice there. Any info would be appreciated

Offline tench

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Anyone fished norton pond this winter??
« Reply #1 on: Jan 08, 2017, 12:06 PM »
Doesn't open until the 21st...
The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable,
a perpetual series of occasions for hope.
~John Buchan

Offline thefishingweatherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 08, 2017, 12:07 PM »
I haven't been by there this winter, but with most of the bigger lakes frozen over in the NEK now, I would expect it to be safe. Norton used to be a nice trout pond until some knucklehead dumped pike in there. Now there just a bunch of fat and happy pike in there. The pond produces some monsters from what I have heard, but I have never fished it personally.

Offline EyERipLip

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 08, 2017, 12:19 PM »
Ok good to know. Is it. It open to keeping fish until the 21st or closed all together. I'm usually catch b release anyway

Offline Registered Kayak

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ..............and then there were none.
« Reply #4 on: Jan 08, 2017, 01:21 PM »
Quite a few state records are from Norton pond for pike back in the day. Was always on my list of places to pike, but then I found myself trolling for cold water fish.

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 08, 2017, 01:48 PM »
 :tipup: :tipup: Norton Pond has some of the best largemouth bass fishing I have ever experienced?   Caught some OK pike but nothing like the old record fish??
Dick

Offline tench

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 08, 2017, 02:41 PM »
Yeah Norton pond follows the same ice season as many of the other inland lakes, only open from the 2nd sat in April to October 31st and the 3rd Saturday in January to March 15th.
The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable,
a perpetual series of occasions for hope.
~John Buchan

Offline EyERipLip

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 08, 2017, 03:41 PM »
Thank u guys. Just thought about an out of town adventure and seemed like a cool place to tr. I will repost about it if I make a trip up there after it opens hoping for some tips. Thanks again

Offline Bowtech

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 08, 2017, 04:29 PM »
Norton was locked up before Christmas and with cold temps in the NEK I'd say ice is real good. Big Pike and big Largemouth are there just don't set your sights too high. Can be quite slow fishing. Good luck. Looking forward to an update.

Offline sckels70

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jun 21, 2017, 04:13 PM »
What's up with this lake? I heard it full of bass and pike. I fished it for 3 days in early June and didn't have much luck. Was it too early? Not even a hit on top waters. threw spoons, big Mepps and swim baits, soft plastics you name it. Any recommendations on what to use there, I'm going back in early September and hope it's better

Offline sckels70

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jun 21, 2017, 04:36 PM »
Just realized this is only about ice fishing, lol

Offline TRT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Trout/Salmon
« Reply #11 on: Nov 12, 2017, 05:34 PM »
It fishes hot and cold. I caught a nice pike 36 inches on first trip and have done poorly on last 2 trips.

Offline sckels70

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 30, 2017, 11:08 AM »
I went back in Sept. I found up in the north end by the small dam around dusk the large mouth crush topwaters. We caught over a dozen (over a 2 day period) from 3 to 6.5 lbs. We only got 2 pike in those days, one was 28" the other much smaller. I love fishing the lake because No One is ever on it. I still need to learn more about it. The southern end looks great but I didn't spend too much time down there. Any more summer tips will help. Thanks!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.