The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: bulk ice jigs  (Read 6611 times)

Offline Mobile steez

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: bulk ice jigs
« Reply #30 on: Dec 30, 2016, 09:40 PM »
Hey when you guys are powder coating do you cure them in the oven afterwards?  I'm just worried about the integrity of the soldered in hooks into the tungsten.  I don't specifically know the quality of the lead they used but do know they used lead as the metal in the soldering.. If the powder coat calls for 400 degrees I'm unsure the lead will hold as the melting point is below that.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #31 on: Dec 30, 2016, 09:50 PM »
If the powder coat calls for 400 degrees I'm unsure the lead will hold as the melting point is below that.

Is it?
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #32 on: Dec 30, 2016, 09:55 PM »
I use a fine copper wire to put one or two beads on a hook...

Offline Mobile steez

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Dec 30, 2016, 10:13 PM »
The stuff I'm looking at is 400 and the melting point of lead is 327.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #34 on: Dec 31, 2016, 07:03 AM »
Sigh.

Most powder paints I know of cure around 350 - 380 degrees Fahrenheit.

You have listed the melting point of lead as 327. That is a Celsius temperature scale measurement and is equal to 621 degrees Fahrenheit.

Next question...

Offline spot

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #35 on: Dec 31, 2016, 07:16 AM »
I've never bothered with powder coating. Paint works just fine--- it's just a jig after all. :) I paint jigs/lures and then coat that with clear urethane. It's simple and it lasts quite a while.
May the fish be with you.

Randy

Offline spot

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #36 on: Dec 31, 2016, 03:38 PM »
I'm testing a theory I've had for a while regarding perch jigs. Having for decades now, watched as perch chased and were sometimes caught on lures not quite as big as they were I decided to tie some big-haired jigs on number 6 hooks, for those perch whose eyes are way bigger than their mouths. Basically it's a big streamer-jig tied on a smaller hook, so in this case the fish that chases it can fit it in their mouth. :)
May the fish be with you.

Randy

Offline Mobile steez

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #37 on: Dec 31, 2016, 09:39 PM »
http://www.onlinemetals.com/meltpt.cfm  -  was the first link I looked at...I had no reason to believe other wise.  I looked at another site and  ( http://www.bgop.org/melting_points.pdf)  this came up linking what you said to it.

https://www.powderbuythepound.com/sparkle-copper-dormant.html  (this is just one of many powders on sites that are close to 400 or that)  I guess Ill have to look at different manufacturers.

Offline Mobile steez

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #38 on: Dec 31, 2016, 09:40 PM »
http://www.onlinemetals.com/meltpt.cfm  -  was the first link I looked at...I had no reason to believe other wise.  I looked at another site and  ( http://www.bgop.org/melting_points.pdf)  this came up linking what you said to it.

https://www.powderbuythepound.com/sparkle-copper-dormant.html  (this is just one of many powders on sites that are close to 400 or that)  I guess Ill have to look at different manufacturers.

makes sense - can suck it in and nab all sizes!

Offline tech54K

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #39 on: Oct 03, 2017, 01:27 AM »
Hey when you guys are powder coating do you cure them in the oven afterwards?  I'm just worried about the integrity of the soldered in hooks into the tungsten.  I don't specifically know the quality of the lead they used but do know they used lead as the metal in the soldering.. If the powder coat calls for 400 degrees I'm unsure the lead will hold as the melting point is below that.

I can see why you're concerned, 400 degrees is really hot,  I never tried to do powder coating before but I watched a lot videos about it.

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Oct 03, 2017, 02:20 AM »
I use a heat gun to do my powder painting as I do not do a  lot at a time.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #41 on: Oct 03, 2017, 05:47 AM »
A little clarity for those considering powder painting:

Even @ 400F you not not even come close to melting lead or affecting hook temper. Most powder finishes intended for lure application run in the 350 - 380F range but commercial powders for parts (say auto for example) can run a little hotter.

I use a $5 rummage sale toaster oven to preheat all my stuff for their first coat. This really heats the jig through to a predefined temp that matches the paint specs and allows me to double (sometimes even triple) dip on the first application. I use the big oven upstairs for curing because it is bigger and will hold a lot more at one time. I have not found the odor to be objectionable and it will not "ruin" your oven for food.

As far as the tungsten products, most of them are made this way: http://www.tackleunderground.com/community/topic/8438-pouring-tungsten-jigheads-and-weights/?do=findComment&comment=65835

It is not possible for the average hobbyist to melt tungsten and even if you could you would melt your hook the moment you poured it. Additionally tungsten is not solderable by conventional means. Almost all connections (even tungsten wiring) is welded in some fashion. I did read one paper that claimed effective soldering could with a mix of copper, manganese, silver, and tin but, with the exception of tin, you would need some heavy duty heat.

In the relatively little experience I've had in powdering them I have had no jig failures. Considering the common method of manufacture (see the link above) that does not surprise me.

My advice? Paint away without fear! If you wind up over 500F for some unknown reason your jig will be safe but you'll likely burn/bubble the paint. Wreck one (or more)? Throw 'em in a jar of acetone for a couple of days, the plastic melts right off and you can start over. Be careful as acetone is highly flammable and the odor can cause nasty headaches for some and just plain isn't good for you anyway so ventilate.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #42 on: Oct 03, 2017, 05:51 AM »
Here's some info I pulled from Component Systems literature:

Cure time and Temp for Powder Paint
Recommended Cure Times and Temps from CSI (Component Systems Inc.)

White*- 25 mins. @ 356F
Yellow Chartreuse* - 25 mins @ 356F
Green Chartreuse* -25 mins @ 356F
Blaze Orange* -25 mins @ 356F
Black*- 25 mins @ 356F
Hot Pink*- 25 mins @ 356F
Flame Red* -25 mins @ 356F
White Pearl- 15 mins @ 325F
Clear*- 25 mins @ 356F
Bright Green*- 25 mins @356F
Yellow*- 25 mins @ 356F
Red- 10 mins @ 400F
Purple*- 15 mins @ 356F
Glow Overcoat- 15 mins @ 375F
Brown* -25 mins @ 356F
Blue- 18 mins @ 375F
Silver- 15 mins @ 400F
Gold- 20 mins @ 375F
Watermelon Pepper15 mins @ 395F
Watermelon 15 mins @ 395F
Pumpkin Brown 16 mins @ 395F
Smoke* 25 mins @ 356F
Green Pumpkin* 25 mins @ 356F
Dark Watermelon* 25 mins @ 356F
June Bug Flake 15 mins @ 395F
Root Beer Flake 15 mins @ 395F
Watermelon Flake 15 mins @ 395F
Copperhead 15 mins @ 395F
Red Bug 15 mins @ 395F
Ruby Slipper 15 mins @ 395F
Baby Bass Green 15 mins @ 395F
Dragonfly 15 mins @ 395F
Pearl Pepper 15 mins @ 395F
Sapphire Blue 15 mins @ 395F
Black-Blue Flake 15 mins @ 395F
Glitter Topcoat Colors* 25 mins @ 356
All Standard Glow Colors- 15 min @ 375
Transparent Candy Colors* 25 mins @ 356F
Standard Glow Colors 15 mins @ 375F
Super Glow Colors* 26 mins @ 356F

* These colors may also be cured for 10 mins @ 392F..............

Curing @ higher temperatures increase possibility of excess paint running off, especially in multi-coat applications.

Offline maddogg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #43 on: Oct 03, 2017, 09:27 AM »
I ordered some tungsten jigs on E bay.
The solder melted on a few when I powder coated them which never happened before.
Then when I baked them (325) a couple more fell apart.  The solder must melt at a pretty low temperature.

Offline yonger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #44 on: Oct 03, 2017, 09:57 AM »
I bought 500 tungsten jigs from Alibaba in tiger pattern in size 4mm.  I have been just selling to guys at know for cost and it has worked pretty good.  Still have a 100 or so if someone is interested.  Cheap.  I would go in with 4 or 5 guys and buy an order if I were to do it again and pay 1/4 of the cost of retail prices.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #45 on: Oct 03, 2017, 02:21 PM »
I ordered some tungsten jigs on E bay.
The solder melted on a few when I powder coated them which never happened before.
Then when I baked them (325) a couple more fell apart.  The solder must melt at a pretty low temperature.

I'd say those are not the higher quality sintered products as outlined above. No metal worth its weight will melt below 400F. You likely got some real cheap tungsten filled epoxy or perhaps the hooks were epoxied into a premade jig weight. There are some very good hi temp epoxies (think JB weld) but unless something like that is used most other products soften significantly when exposed to high temperatures.

In any case if you buy decent jigs to begin with you should have no issues. I'll be testing some more this year and will be able to share those experiences also.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.