New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SOUTHERN N.Y. THREAD (L.I., WESTCHESTER, PUTNAM, DUTCHESS, SULLIVAN, ORANGE COUN  (Read 1091840 times)

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I FISH BECAUSE THE VOICES IN MY HEAD TELL ME TO!!
My buddy who lives on Greenwood caughjt three of those Tigers this year...all about the size of the one in the pic.  He sent me photos to prove it ( and make me Purple with envy!!!).

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
the smallie was winning that battle!

Greenwood has some pigs in it!
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
Thanks for telling me that we are here too  8)

We are nation wide

Tastes like RockBass<br />                                             \"Official Horticulturalist of the NYRC\"

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
yepper roger...that size musky & a pike to match is what i've been dying to catch..... :icefish: :icefish: :icefish:...jimmy c. ya got to get with the times.... ;)2..cant spend all ya time catching them blue perch.... ;)2 :roflmao: :roflmao:

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
Don't forget these Guy's too

Welcome to smurftown!
Tastes like RockBass<br />                                             \"Official Horticulturalist of the NYRC\"

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
they would give my gumbo some nice color.... ;) ;D...geeze ..ya ain't got blue helgremites up there does ya... ???

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
Probably... We has lots a colorful Characters here 8)

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
Hey... Does Da Fuller brush guy have pickerel envy?

Offline WARRIOR_ON_ICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Long Live the WARRIOR
Hey... Does Da Fuller brush guy have pickerel envy?

This season I did. I only caught a couple pickerel this year because the place I usually load up on them was closed to fishing this year. That place is simply loaded with pickerel and good-sized to, caught up to 23".

I think pickerel are one of the best eating fish around, and I just ate a good meal of it last night. Next winter will do a little more pickerel and pike fishing instead of all lake trout fishing. I got too one-tracked this winter.
The Ultimate Warrior is possessed with great power from the heavens above ! Against the mighty lake trout and pike and schools of crappie, the power of the WARRIOR will always ......... PREVAIL !!!

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jiffy ProStaff/PK Lures ProStaff/Clam Powerstick
here's a couple pics for you jimmyclaude of the ms. "finish work"

and she fishes on top off all this...I got a keeper ;)

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
here's a couple pics for you jimmyclaude of the ms. "finish work"

(Image removed from quote.)

and she fishes on top off all this...I got a keeper ;)

does she have older sisters? :P
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
sorry-only 2 older brothers--she held out til last and got the smarts--- ;D

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
geeze...i may have to hire her...my guys are getting sloppy and lazy..... ;) ;D :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
geeze...i may have to hire her...my guys are getting sloppy and lazy..... ;) ;D :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
good one joe! :laugh:

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
good one joe! :laugh:
its the truth... i gotta beg to get them to run a boom once in a while....one guy thinks 24 hr work weeks are tiring... ::)

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I doubt it, but maybe you can convince her to-- ;)  as to the fly reels thing--the only things up here Gander carries a couple reels that are pre spooled with backing and line--proably want to stay away from them though right?

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I doubt it, but maybe you can convince her to-- ;)  as to the fly reels thing--the only things up here Gander carries a couple reels that are pre spooled with backing and line--proably want to stay away from them though right?
depends...are they forward weighted ?????? if their st.croix products or loomis or other quality company .... in 5 or 6 weight rated...could be a good buy....a good reel runs 40 bucks on up...good line about the same...backing i cant remember the price...i'll see if i can go on their site and see what they have...

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
boy ...gander & cabelas are a rip off on reels and line...i went on orvis fly fishing site...ya can get their clearwater reel for 50.00 bucks which is what the other 2 are selling junk for...gotta check on if that orvis store is still in dickson city across from texas round house road...i didnt see the pre spooded thing on line...i'm gonna check st. croix reels now...

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
topher...hers a good reel...st. croix triumph...39.99...    www.joessportinggoods. us      in the 4 to 6 weight... ;)

Offline YO1157

• Team IceShanty Regular
Alright fella's,all this talk about fly fishing got me itchin to get out. I just started last year also topher,Hockey 12 got me into it,its alot of fun. He even gave me his old starter kit. ;D Pole,reel,a couple flys,had alot of fun..... good luck when you get out! :thumbsup:

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Alright fella's,all this talk about fly fishing got me itchin to get out. I just started last year also topher,Hockey 12 got me into it,its alot of fun. He even gave me his old starter kit. ;D Pole,reel,a couple flys,had alot of fun..... good luck when you get out! :thumbsup:
sorry yo but we's chomping at the bit up here too....plus i wanna get topher off on the right foot.... ;) ;D :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:  once he gets started he can be broke like me.... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
aw heck...I'm broke now :P

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
 well...it too bad . :unsure:..at least we's in the same boat.... ;) ;D :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: i gotta stop looking at this fly fishing stuff...that orvis site gets my hand moving to the c card..... ::) :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
one of the salesman at the dealership that I work at is an Orvis certified guide and gets great deals on fly fishing gear--he guides out in the Catskills on weekends and on his days off

by the way--what Rio line do you suggest? been on their site and have NO idea what to get--And I did find that reel at Joe's--If you think that it will work I'll get it

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
one of the salesman at the dealership that I work at is an Orvis certified guide and gets great deals on fly fishing gear--he guides out in the Catskills on weekends and on his days off

by the way--what Rio line do you suggest? been on their site and have NO idea what to get--And I did find that reel at Joe's--If you think that it will work I'll get it
you will be very happy with that reel...but if your buddy can get a orvis reel & stuff at a great deal ...  :thumbsup:..their stuff is great.....rio grand in 5 weight...see topher ..with other fly lines its best to go one more weight over the rods weight ..so it will load and turn over better for casting...rio grand is already 1.5 over  which ever weight the rod would be... so if you go with rio get it in 5 weight floating...foward weighted...color doesnt really matter....and those orvis flys are great  too... :thumbsup: trout leaders you can get any where same with the dry fly spray in the pump bottle....after that its just casting and knot tying... ;D

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I just gotta get things one thing at a time--a reel 1 week and then line the next, that sort of thing--that way I won't break the bank all at once--and have money still to be able to GO fish ;D  thanks for the help

PS--which rio line, selective trout, nymph, etc. ???

the Ms. says if you want to, come up for a free haircut--- ;D

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I just gotta get things one thing at a time--a reel 1 week and then line the next, that sort of thing--that way I won't break the bank all at once--and have money still to be able to GO fish ;D  thanks for the help
yepper..i know that one...thats what i do now too....gonna pick up a 243 savage sat...then i'll slowly tinker with it...boy..have ya noticed the cost of ammo...  ::) ::) ::) these hobbys are getting expensive.... ::)

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
as a matter of fact I have--we just gotta be like Obama---spend spend spend---then worry about the repercussions later

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
my half of the hospital bill took care of that.... :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(...oh well...lifes  little curve balls.... ;) :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac

PS--which rio line, selective trout, nymph, etc. ???

the Ms. says if you want to, come up for a free haircut--- ;D
  selc. trout...dry fly line...you dont need wet line to nymph....i just let it sink after it makes its swing thru the water then i strip the line with 3 short strokes rest then repeat ...this makes the beadhead nymph act like a emerger....which is a fly in the stage of leaving the water to be come a dry fly...when you see trout   sipping flys off the surface  but you cant see the flys..and their just swimming with their heads just breaking the top...their hitting the emergers which are trying to get out of the water to become duns...trout love this time period...just like when the duns start to die and fall on the water in bunches...its show time..one time i was on the d when this happened and i couldnt nail a rise cause there was sooo many flys on the water the trout just had their pick...it was comical..but fun... :laugh:tell her i said thanks but i may have to grow it out and sell it to pay my taxes this year.... :laugh:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.